Postmates Reviews

Reset
3.2
Postmates Co-Founder & CEO Bastian Lehmann
Bastian Lehmann

Pros
  • I ride my bike all around New York seeing and visiting all kind of stores and restaurants (in 4 reviews)

• Theoretically, the flexible schedule aspect (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • 99% of couriers are independent contractors (in 7 reviews)

• Do the math and you figure out you are making minimum wage (in 6 reviews)

1. Anonymous

Pros

The company employs some of the best and most talented people around, which makes it a great place to learn and work at. The company currently has a very good outlook, nice office space, and really fun co-workers. Great benefits. Overall not the best start-up that I've worked for (because there are REALLY good ones out there), but definitely not the worst, either.

Cons

No complaints. I think some people complain about the CEO but it's really not a bad thing if you don't take it seriously (which I don't. It can be funny, even, sometimes, but don't take it personally. My best advice is to focus on your work/job and keep improving yourself. Be driven and be motivated, and don't complain.

Advice to Management

There should definitely be more room to grow. Some of the jobs here are dead-end which makes people who know the company want to leave.

90% of people quit within the first 6 months

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Postmates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

lyft and postmates credits funny, interesting co workers free food health insurance cool, innovation product

Cons

you get treated like a 5 year old. at one point, you weren't allowed to go to the bathroom without asking approval from a manager (ridiculous, right?) meaningless job. giving refunds to people who didn't receive guacamole in their chipotle burrito does not bring meaning into my life. you deal with lots of first world problems. all the free donuts are giving ppl diabetes and weight issues salary is low compared to other customer service positions in the bay area you never get a consistent schedule. be prepared to work evenings and weekends. no raises. ever. embarrassingly high turnover rate. people quit every week. lots of college graduates and ppl with master's degrees working in customer service. insane amount of micro managing. lots of miserable ppl here. i'd say about 90% of ppl don't like working here. poor employee morale rude ceo. the ceo publicly calls out people of slack with inappropriate language. cs doesn't always get free lunch. if you come in at 2 or 3 pm, the lunches are gone by then. lunches are part of our benefits package and the company doesn't make sure that everyone in cs gets one. no work/life balance. people who seek time off are looked down upon. if postmates isn't your life, you're seen as a bad employee. employee happiness/satisfication is not important to management. the only thing that matters to them is making sure their metrics are satisfied. you get moved around to different locations without any prior notification you are required to be available 24/7

Advice to Management

A raise would be nice.

3. Heeeey

Pros

Supplemental Decent Income , learn your city in and out , meet friendly people . outgoing personalitea , Youll smell great food . Youll earn good money , Meet new people

Cons

Wear & tear on car , Tiring , No gas reimbursement . Hot days delay ,

Advice to Management

you want to treat your contractors as you wish to be treated , Friendly outgoing stern Supportive , Non Argumenntive . Envouraging , Involving .. Patience kind , Reflect , Guard of Interest

You're A Sims Character In A Rat Race, This Could Be Fun!

Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

Considering I was a bike messenger on and off for 9 years in NYC, not a bad job at all, since I've upgraded to a car. Make your own hours, does pay well, autonomous system, generally pleasant job experience. People are friendly and understanding. Great interactive service. Interesting business model.

Cons

The app made my phone super glitchy, the GPS misguides and I couldn't call out while the app was engaged, I'm sure these issues caused all of my low-ratings. I asked for some sort of tech support it was only suggested that I reinstall the app...to no avail, problems persisted. I know the city well I could forgo the GPS however the ETA feature is key. Dumbo office is only open from 1-3, during lunch rush, Impossible to park, so allow for ample time prior to get to the office in time if you have a car. if you're on bike remember it's old cobble roads down there don't kill yourself trying to get to the office. Ultimately, got a moving violation tending to the app and running a red light. "Stacking" multiple jobs in an hour with out messing-up is IMPOSSIBLE in New York City especially when your forced to hit the ground running...a rat race. You get one awful picture of yourself to represent the system and lets face it, this is a judgmental society. Ridiculous delivery requests, I drove from West Village to East 83rd to pick up some fruit and Evian for a lady who lived around the corner from the store she wanted it from. I'm sure I got a bad review for taking too long to get to the store. As she was able to text. "Are you going to the store anytime soon?" I was looking for parking a block away. I don't mind going that far in those late hours, had I known the shopping list prior to pick up, I wouldn't have taken the run. Basically you're a food delivery person for people with disposable funds and are out of range for their food cravings. Not a bad deal, for them.

Advice to Management

I'm sure you have, but take more advice from experienced NY messengers. Have a solid screening process for potential couriers that will excel. This dime-a-dozen process is killing your ratings. Rewrite your rating system rules to suit NYC this is not SF. There are variables that are entirely overlooked and will completely fail your system here with the obvious onslaught of bad reviews, but I'm sure you're all laughing to the bank with those billion dollar investments. Again, I tried to visit the office multiple times, but there is no parking in Dumbo within the 2 offices hours, so I couldn't physically make it in before I was kicked off the platform. Not that any of you care.

Good start, bad ending.

Former Employee - Photographer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Photographer in Chicago, IL

Pros

Easy money, helps you learn your city and free food smells.

Cons

Horrible customer support and job support. Takes upwards of about 20-30 mins to get help when you only have an hour window to deliver food. Customer ratings heavily effect couriers.

Advice to Management

Give your couriers the good and bad feedback from customers so they know what their doing right and wrong so they can get better. If there is a major complaint ask for both sides of the story instead of just terminating the courier.

Postmates Walker in San Francisco

Current Employee - Postmates Courier (Walker) in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Postmates Courier (Walker) in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Postmates part-time

Pros

One benefit of working for Postmates is that you can work when you want to. I have other things going on, and I only have time for a part time job. The fact that I can schedule myself as much or as little as I want is what made Postmates so appealing. Postmates is also the only delivery service in SF that hires walkers.

Cons

One of the many negative aspects of working for Postmates is that some deliveries are in shady areas, and when you are a walker it matters. I got robbed during a delivery in San Francisco. Also unless the Blitz pricing is on and everyone is tipping well, the pay isn't that good. Finally whether you can continue to work for Postmates or not, depends on your average customer rating. Considering about 60% of customers don't even submit ratings after they receive their deliveries, it is a poor judge of character.

Advice to Management

There needs to be a base pay rate every hour of the day. I have worked from 6 to 9 pm before, and only made $36, which is less than minimum wage. The base pay rate should ensure that everyone is making at least minimum wage plus tips. The average customer rating should not be the only way to decide if a Postmate keeps his job or not. Half the customers don't even submit ratings.

8. Toxic environment. Feels like they're intentionally promoting high turnover

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Postmates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a job that pays you and provides health insurance.

Cons

I have never before witnessed this level of employee dissatisfaction. I have come to believe that it is intentional. There is no other explanation for the amount of easily solvable problems that are left untouched. A high CS turnover must be part of their business model. Let me explain... The CEO, Bastian Lehmann, should require adult supervision. This guy gets off on popping into chat rooms to throw insults at unsalaried workers, complete with obscenities. I wonder how he talks to his waitresses and cleaning lady? Couldn't be much worse. Definitely has no clue when it comes to curating a professional image and motivating employees. He must be a big driver of this intentionally high turnover strategy I'm talking about. That's all his bumbling contributes to, anyway. I encourage you to read more Glassdoor reviews for insight into this guy's toxic behavior. Scheduling. Holy scheduling! They only hire for one position, and it's a position that requires 100% availability. Why not have three shifts? Why not create a position for people who prefer to work evenings? And another one for mid shift and another for nights? You know, like every other call center in the country. Hire people like students and parents who don't have their kids on the weekend to fill in most of the weekend shifts. Those people are out there! Create incentives for others to work irregular days when there is demand. This is an easily improved situation. All they have to do is look at the scheduling practices of ANY 24 HOUR BUSINESS IN AMERICA. Lack of advancement opportunities. I have worked with countless reps who could easily run the show but are instead passed over for outside recruits whose only qualifications were previous admin jobs and a cute wardrobe from Urban Outfitters. It's a huge insult, but it's not a surprise. Bastian makes it very clear that he has a disdain for the class of people willing to work in a call center. Why would he want them in his company longer than 6 months? This next one sounds like a joke: CS employees are literally fed the scraps of their superiors. Now, I know that there is a hierarchy in a workplace. That's life. Some people make more money and have better benefits. Whatever. The difference with Postmates is that most companies have the tact to avoid highlighting this fact and making a show of it. Postmates shoves this in your face. Hourly workers get to watch the 'important' employees eat their catered meals and are only allowed to forage for remains after a certain hour, and are not always able to eat. Some companies make a point of having a cafeteria where the upper management breaks bread with the little guys. It's great for morale. It makes everyone feel like they're in it together. But not Postmates. They miss no opportunity to remind you that they have very little respect for you. So there it is. It seems that Postmates is intentionally keeping turnover up. Either that or they are run by tactless idiots and need to hire a few managers who are ready to put on their big boy pants. The "It's-a-startup!" excuse is no longer valid, as this company was founded in 2011. If you need a job, take it, but just be aware that they'll be working to drive you away from the moment you step in the door. Forget about using this position to move up in the company. All you can do is promote yourself by applying elsewhere. That's what I did.

Advice to Management

Make a serious effort to improve the work/life balance and overall satisfaction of your CS team. Call centers have a terrible reputation for a reason. You shouldn't model your department after an industry that's hatedness is only surpassed by ISIS and the DMV. Either hire appropriately so reps can have a life AND job, or get used to customers coming to hate your company because of bad experiences with CS. Also, lose the living bread crumb metaphor and tell Bastian to pick on some little people that aren't employed at the company he's supposed to be running. It's time to grow up.

Customer Service Professional

I worked at Postmates part-time

Pros

Catered Lunches, health benefits and transit benefits are nice. Great creative people working alongside you.

Cons

Mandatory overtime and sudden schedule switching got old fast. Not terribly adaptable in case of sick days.

Advice to Management

Please solicit more feedback and be more inclusive of ground level employees. I heard complaints from others.

More call center than startup-y

Former Employee - Customer Service in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in San Francisco, CA

Pros

- Awesome coworkers and immediate managers. - Free snacks, coffee, and catered lunch (if you get any before all the salaried employees/employees with flexible schedules are on salaries eat it..you are only allowed it on your allotted lunch break) - Lots of free Bob’s donuts. - Easy to get a job if you need something to stay afloat while you look around. - Customer service experience is somewhat valuable. - Good benefits – very good.

Cons

- Hire overqualified people to essentially work in a call center. Poor working conditions, - you are constantly monitored and hounded by supervisors about metrics (call times, customer issue solve times, average pause between calls). Lots of small rules that make you feel like a child. The customer service leads are not to blame; I think the people above them are yelling at them even more than they’re yelling at us! Seems to be like the poor treatment goes way up. - They don’t put value in retaining older employees at all. CSPs seemed disposable. I mean, my 6 month stint was considerably longer than average. This is so ineffective – by the time people know their way around the platform, they are likely burned out and moving on. - No respect is given to CSPs by the rest of the company. Not much interaction in person or on company chat (we were only given restricted access and were unable to start conversation with other employees on chat). I got one other ‘offer’ there after 6 months and when I asked if it would include a raise, they said no but they would ‘let’ me work a lot of overtime. - Mandatory overtime last minute (i.e. 30 min to 2 hr warning beforehand). You’re not given the overtime rate when you work on holidays. Most jobs should give you time and a half. - Nearly impossible to get a weekend day off. They told me I would be working “some weekends” which ended up meaning every weekend except the one time I requested one off with 6-7 weeks’ notice. People that requested a day a month or less beforehand tended to be turned down. - CEO was not positive at all. He never directly spoke with CSPs. His only communication was through our company chat where he would post our mistakes and a short comment (70% expletives) asking us if we ever did our jobs. - They really push the ‘team’ mentality which is painfully far from the truth.

Advice to Management

Create incentive for people to actually stay on. Long term employees are very valuable! Respect different departments equally and create some genuine sense of unity across departments (go beyond just writing we are a team and leaving it at that)

Customer Service Professional

Current Employee - Customer Service Professional in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Professional in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Postmates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Three day training, free catered lunch, close to public transportation, open office setup

Cons

Training doesn't cover everything, hours aren't consistent, impossible to get days off, you are just a number, more of a call center.

RSS Feed </> Embed