Postmates

Updated March 4, 2015
Updated March 4, 2015
3.2

Bastian Lehmann, Sam Street & Sean Plaice

Pros
  • At the end of the day, I love to ride my bike and if I can get paid for it, wow, I am stoked (in 4 reviews)

• Flexible schedule but not much else at this point (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • 99% of couriers are independent contractors (in 7 reviews)

• My guess would be the average courier earns less than minimum wage (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

1. Featured Review

I dont't feel like this is "work"

Current Employee - Engineering Team in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Team in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Postmates full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The entire organization operates as a collective unit with a shared purpose. No matter if you are an engineer, in operations, marketing, in the fleet, there is compassion, empathy, and a sense of community. Example - Engineers will spend weekends doing deliveries to make sure the tools and new features that are built make sense for the fleet and there is a very open line of communication.

Cons

Office is a little loud and there is a lot going on - so you have to be ready to jump in and get stuff done despite some distractions.

Maintain your obsessive dedication to the fleet and customer happiness no matter how infinite the company scales.

I have been working at Postmates

Pros

Flexible scheduling, direct deposit, get to know different restaurants, learn new streets in my city, good exercise riding my road bike, tips add up

Cons

No benefits, I do dislike riding in bad weather, should have some sort of medical benefits to compensate for dodging traffic

Raise delivery service fee

Just started...

Current Employee - Just Started and It's Ok in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Just Started and It's Ok in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Postmates

Pros

Flexible hours.
    Great zones to work in.
    High pay.
    Unlimited hours.
    Friendly co-workers at meetings and social gatherings.
    1 million dollars liability insurance on the job.
    24 hour work available depending on your area.

Cons

Unorganized.
    No enough training and when you mess up getting started and get rated badly you can be dropped for having a 4.7/5 star rating...
    Short office hours.
    App forces you to text/drive constantly...

More training needs to be provided and/or tips on how to improve rating...

New tip system is taking money right out of the couriers pockets!

I worked at Postmates full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, most of the time there are jobs to be done, the pay is okay $13-$20 an hour, get to explore your city and see some really nice places.

Cons

Customer service takes forever when there is a problem sometimes, the new tip system encourages lowball tipping instead of % based tipping like before. Couriers weren't even asked if we would like the new system even though it affects us the most that's why I'll be looking for a new job as of today.

Change the tips back to being percent based instead of $2/$4/$6 because we work way too hard to have you suggest to our customers that they should tip $2

No care for couriers

Former Contractor - Courier in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Courier in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Postmates as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I loved riding my bike around the city, discovering new places, and getting paid for it. They have a great support team.

Cons

I was recently called to give honest feedback, its funny that the exact opposite of my concerns was addressed and in fact my concerns now have put me in the position to drop postmates as an app, not only as a rider but as a customer.

If you go to a restaurant you can expect to tip %15-%20 if you're a decent human being and have the slightest grasp of the service industry. Why is it then when the waiter is substituted with a courier, who doesn't bring you water or napkins through out your dinning experience, but instead rides miles across a dangerous city up hills and such it's ok not to tip at all?

The postmates platform recently took a turn for the worse when they decided to limit human contact, and enable the customer to further disregard the effort and work put into delivering their order.

I can't tell you how upset I was this morning at 12am when I saw that after nearly $250 worth of goods delivered, over a 4.5 hour period, one of those being a single order of a small frozen yogurt, delivered from hayes valley to north beach, another order $50 worth of pasta from dolores park to the top of twin peaks, with this and many other orders, I made $2 in tips! 10 times that would break my heart on any other normal service job, but $2 just crushed me. The new platform encourages this behavior. As long as the platform is like this I will not be able to ride or order for postmates.

The old platform with its flaws was far better but still needed improvement to further encourage tipping. Customers chose increments of %5, %10, %15. now customers chose, $2, $4, $6! this is beyond insulting to any service worker. Even if i was paid a fair wage from postmates, the service aspect of the job would still expect a tip.

I am willing to come in and talk more about this if you like, or if you feel that you can help clarify what seems to me to be a devastating move towards postmate couriers.

The value you are placing on your couriers illustrates your lack of empathy and compation for the independant contractors who chose to deliver orders for your customers. I understand the drive for customer sattisfaction, but something you are missing is that a lot of the "customers" are also couriers. I was, and now im neither.

The REAL Truth

Current Contractor - Courier in Orange, CA
    Current Contractor - Courier in Orange, CA

I have been working at Postmates as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The ONLY pro is that you can make your own schedule and you find new places to eat at.

Cons

Their orientation and onboarding sessions give VERY limited information on the company and position.

1: The payouts are NOT everyday, they do not do payouts on Saturdays and Sundays, so if you are planning on working a few days during the week so you can have party money, tough luck. The payout schemes are also not accurate with what you "supposedly" make per duty shift. I average 8 calls in Orange County in a 5 hour shift and that usually comes out to about 50.00 which includes tips, but for some reason the payouts never match up.
    2: If you DO NOT maintain a rating of 4.7 or better, they will fire you. Something that I might add you have no way of controlling in the case some stupid college student or rich yuppie wants to screw you over.
    3: They DO NOT compensate you for the use of your personal cell phone and they have discontinued their phone leasing program.
    4: You ONLY get paid for the distance from the pick up to drop off point, which means if you have to drive 15-20 miles to get to the pick up you are on your own. It really sucks when you drive 20 miles for 2 bagels and then drive them 2 blocks away for 4.80.
    5: "Courier Support" if you want to call it that, has been giving increasingly poor assistance. They fail to call in restaurant orders claiming they are "busy" and then wait to tell you to place the order yourself which has a GREAT effect on the 1 hour delivery time you are locked into.
    6: They DO NOT reimburse ATM withdrawal fees for cash only jobs. This is a issue that I have had to deal with and have since started rejecting any job that is cash only because I do not carry cash on me, especially for a job like this. Another thing is that if you ARE feeling generous, they do not itemize the payouts so you actually will know if you are getting reimbursed.
    7: Their new "hotspot" locator on their map is also pointless. By the time you drive to where ever it is the hot spot is gone and you just wasted gas and time. It's best to find a Starbucks or McDonalds and just sit and use their wifi till you get another call. Driving around like an idiot is really inefficient and will destroy your car.

If you are planning on working in the Orange County area here is some advice. DON'T pay attention to all these posts about people bragging how much money they make or these amazing tips. It's not going to happen here. A majority of the OC calls are to college students who are just doing the free promotions and they DO NOT tip.

Do your research and be professional. Every single promotional place I have gone to has never heard of your company or what the heck we are doing there. They have no idea we are coming so they do not have the inventory to manage the influx of couriers which leads to increased wait times and missed calls.

Don't be misled

I have been working at Postmates full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You get to pick your own hours

Cons

You will have lots of dead time. Your first 50 or so deliveries will come quickly, then after that you'll notice a big taper off.
    Jobs are Sent to scheduled couriers first.
    The only way to schedule yourself is to sign up when the schedule is released. My first 2 weeks working, there were no open shifts on the schedule. I'm now one month in and I open my schedule email within the minute I receive it, only two find 2am - 4am are the only shifts ever open every night.
    In the last two weeks of February my job count has been cut in half. I clock in religiously from 9 am until 6pm and will most days only get 6 jobs in those 9 hours.
    They mislead you during orientation, making you think you're queued in line for a job, when in actuality a job gets sent to every courier in the area, scheduled couriers first, and everyone gets to scramble to accept the job first.
    The hotspots that indicate busy areas are only to clue in scheduled couriers where to be to get all the deliveries they need.
    It's Saturday at 11:00 am, I've been sitting .3 miles from a hotspot on Garnet Ave in San Diego, and I've had one job offer.
    That job notification disappeared once I opened the app. No message of the offer expiring, no in app notification it ever existed.my last two job offers from Friday did the same thing.
    After contacting support I was clued in that it might be a glitch(which I can understand), but that it was more than likely a lag in my data provider on my phone. Meaning I was losing the "human dogfight" non scheduled couriers deal with to get jobs.

Do your research on other start up companies. Don't oversaturate your market with couriers. It brings down your quality of service on all ends. Couriers who aren't making money have no incentive to provide good service.

Great, depending on location

Current Freelancer - Courier in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Freelancer - Courier in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Postmates

Pros

Good tips
    Great way to get off the couch
    Flexible hours

Cons

Not worth the gas at times
    Doesn't show couriers enough information about the job before accepting

Work more with the couriers. They are what keeps your company going.

Working at Postmates always felt disorganized

Former Employee - Customer Support/Operations Expert in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Support/Operations Expert in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Postmates full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fun start up environment with stocked snacks and drinks. Employees are given $100 in credit a month for deliveries which used to be unlimited.

Cons

CEO is rude. The company portrays a false representation of who they're and what service they provide. The hours given to the customer support team and operations team had us overwhelmed and exhausted. Leaving at midnight and sometimes coming back in at 5am for shifts.

Take note to feedback from; employees, customers and reviews.

Good for people who like deliveries

Current Contractor - Courier in San Diego, CA
    Current Contractor - Courier in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Postmates as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

- There is a lot of flexibility with scheduling at Postmates.
    - If you can get on the schedule you make $12 per hour even if there are no deliveries. This is especially great if you live in the delivery zone.
    - You get to meet a lot of interesting people, and explore new parts of the city.

Cons

- This job would be better for a low stress individual that doesn't mind working under a time limit.
    - It would also help to have a well maintained, newer vehicle.
    - The app they use goes off while you're driving and it's too tempting to look at it, because you don't want to be late.
    - The customers text and call you while you're driving too.
    - The office hours feel rushed like they don't want to talk to you.
    - You work alone.
    - You're in the car all the time.

You have to do your job even if you're busy, which includes talking to employees.

Postmates Photos