Postmates Reviews

Updated March 28, 2015
137 reviews filtered by
Bastian Lehmann, Sam Street & Sean Plaice

Pros
  • At the end of the day, I love to ride my bike and if I can get paid for it, wow, I am stoked (in 4 reviews)

• Flexible schedule but not much else at this point (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • 99% of couriers are independent contractors (in 7 reviews)

• My guess would be the average courier earns less than minimum wage (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

I dont't feel like this is "work"

Current Employee - Engineering Team in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Team in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Postmates full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The entire organization operates as a collective unit with a shared purpose. No matter if you are an engineer, in operations, marketing, in the fleet, there is compassion, empathy, and a sense of community. Example - Engineers will spend weekends doing deliveries to make sure the tools and new features that are built make sense for the fleet and there is a very open line of communication.

Cons

Office is a little loud and there is a lot going on - so you have to be ready to jump in and get stuff done despite some distractions.

Maintain your obsessive dedication to the fleet and customer happiness no matter how infinite the company scales.

Fun work, definitely not $25+/hour

Current Freelancer - Courier in Orange, CA
    Current Freelancer - Courier in Orange, CA

I have been working at Postmates (less than a year)

Pros

I am a car courier in Orange County, CA, where they do not allow bike couriers because the distances are too large. ----You will see profits from this job if you do not pay for your own gas or car expenses
    -Fun job if you enjoy driving around
    -Usually pretty saturated with jobs (which you can choose to decline) so not a lot of waiting around
    -The company has a fun attitude
    -Work when you want (minimum 1 delivery/month to remain active)
    -Pay outs every 2-3 days (used to be daily, not anymore)
    -"Blitz Pricing" - When there's more supply than demand out there (too many jobs for few carriers) blitz pricing is activated and you can make more than double your normal rate
    -You keep 80% of delivery fee (varies $4-$18). I've never seen it be more than $9
    -Keep 100% of tips
    -Even though you must maintain a 4.8/5.00 rating, management (claims) they will look at individual reviews that drop your rating and may remove them if it was out of your control (I have no experience with this)
    -Keeping a 5.0 is easy, just deliver within an hour and if you are going to be late keep the costumer in the loop
    -No uniform (Just look presentable)
    -Daily e-mail with your earnings for the day and weekly one with your weekly summary

Cons

-Pay is way less than $25/hr
    -On average I make about $12/hr
    -You are not actually employed by them, you are an independent contractor (1099 Form for tax purposes)
    -Factoring in gas expenses you actually take home less than minimum wage
    -Wear and tear on your car
    -No benefits
    -Must maintain a 4.8/5.0 customer service rating (used to be a more reasonable 4.6)
    -No longer allowed to accept cash tips. Couriers have seen a decrease in tips since this was implemented (Management response to this was, "It's only been about $1 on average." That may be, but that's $1 out of my pocket, not theirs.
    -Tipping is not mandatory. In two days, I did 9 deliveries only 4 of which tipped.

Either remove the "No Tip" option or make your couriers W-2 employees with a wage. I think the simplest solution (and smartest for the financial good of your company) is to remove the "No Tip" option. That way the costumer bears that burden of paying us (even if just a couple dollars) and you still get to keep us as 1099'ers with no law mandated benefits. It is simply not fair to have a courier drive 3 miles to the restaurant of your choice, 8 miles from there to your house/dorm for a crummy $4. At that point the courier is actually loosing money from completing the job.

3. Great pay if you work the right shifts

Current Freelancer - Delivery Driver
    Current Freelancer - Delivery Driver

I have been working at Postmates

Pros

Weekend peak hours have been CRAZY. Can't even handle the amount of job requests and have been making easily $25-$30 during lunch and dinner. Also, I think they may have changed the tipping system back after their horrible decision to change from percent to dollar tips - at least they recognize their own mistakes.

I drive for Lyft on the side as well, and Postmates is a great way to break up the monotony of being in your car all day. Also, they have good pay during hours when Lyft is slow (after 10am).

Cons

You don't make the advertised $25/hr during down time, so the salary is a bit of a stretch. But out of the delivery companies I've driven for, NONE OF THEM pay this amount anyways. Would also be great if the team cared more about retention and provided incentives.

5. The worst payment reporting process I have ever experienced.

Current Contractor - Employee (Aka Courier/Independent Contractor) in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Postmates as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I will say that there are some good things about Postmates. It's a great concepts that has really strayed from what it originally was. It was suppose to be a way for you to get almost anything you need from anywhere in the city, delivered to you. Now it's just another food delivery service. I feel like they couldn't figure out how to market themselves as a "go-to" for anything you may want (a 2 person tent...sushi from a tiny cash-only place only locals know about...dog food and chew toys...anything!) and instead just decided to be a place that delivers from select restaurants, Best Buy and the Apple store. I don't think they have the right brain power behind there marketing and vision, but now the point...

Cons

I have A LOT of issues with Postmates, many of which have already been voiced on this website (poor operations support; we aren't set-up to tip out restaurants, which can be awkward on large orders; you are constantly using your phone while driving; etc.) but my main issue has to do with how our commissions and tips are reported to us (IDK about other locations, I am speaking for the SF Bay Area). The amount you make is reported to you as a lump sum. At the end of the day (usually a little past midnight) you get an email showing 5 things: (1) How many jobs you worked. (2) How many jobs you were tipped out on (usually significantly less then the number of jobs completed) (3) Total commissions made. (4) Total tips collected (5) Total amount: commissions plus tips. That's it.

If you have ever waited tables, delivered pizza's, driven a cab or anything that involved a lot of tipping, you know that normally you were aware of how much an individual tipped you. You were handed cash, or saw the final signed bill, whatever the case may be...you know how much that person gave you as a tip. Can you think of a circumstance where your tips were given to your employer (without you know who is tipping, or what amounts) and then your employer tells you how much you have collectively made in tips? I can't, well except Postmates.

At Postmates, you don't know how much any customer has actually tipped you. Regardless of whether they tip you with the $2/$4/$6 platform, or if they tip with the 10/15/20%, you have no idea what they tip you. You essentially have to trust that Postmates is reporting all 100% of your tips to you. If you want to double check that against something (like itemized reports of jobs done or some sort of receipt process), you can't. There is nothing that you get that shows you your individualized tips. You can track your commissions by writing down the commission amount of each job as they come through and matching the total to you email report (which is a ridiculous pain in itself, but at least you have some sort of check/balance system there)...but the tips? Good luck trying to figure out how much those 12 deliveries actually tipped you, and when your report says that you were only tipped out on 5 of those deliveries and made only a total of $8.47...well, you have to trust it, because you can't check it.

Now anyone who has taken a basic accounting class can see the obvious issues with this. If I (and I'm just speaking for myself) were looking to skim a little cash from a courier, maybe a few cent per transaction, I would come up with a system like this. I could say someone made $8 in tips, I could say $7.84...how would that someone know what the truth was? I have contacted Postmates about this months ago and they said they were rolling out a new system where we could see how much we made in commission and tips, per job. That was before Christmas...it's almost April. They have rolled out numerous updates to the platform, website and payment system...yet, couriers still get there commissions and tips reported to them off of a featureless e-mail, void of any details that looks like it was scanned in from a dot matrix printout. Seems strange, since both Handy and Instacart report how much you make per job, separating commission from tip (I know, I've worked for them).

I'm surprised this hasn't been a larger complaint. I guess most of the couriers trust that what the report shows is 100% truth...and I'm not saying it's not, because I have no proof that Postmates isn't being 100% honest...I am saying that if someone were looking to skim, this system would make that really easy AND I'm saying that this system does not mirror the commission/tip reporting systems that have been adopted by other similar platforms (Handy, Instacart, Uber, Lyft). AND I'm saying that it is very unusual in a business where income is, in large part, based on tipping, that the individualized tip amounts are unknown by the individual receiving the tip...instead the tips are reported to the individual receiving the tips, by the employer, as one untraceable lump sum

(1) Your couriers should get individualized commission reports. It isn't hard to list: Job #1: Commission $ / Tip $...Job #2: Commission $/Tip $...and so on.

(2) In order for us to be independent contractors, why not just have you guys run the platform. Once we take a job, we place the order, we deal with the customer, we pick it up and deliver and when the customer pays, they pay us (the couriers) directly and Postmates can either charge per order ($1-$3), a percentage of the total collected (10%), or charge to use the app ($19.99 for 24 hour access). This is just an example, but this allows us to actually be independent contractors.

(3) It's so disappointing to see the potential of this company going down the drain. It seemed like you guys were about energy and vision. Yet working for you feels like working for a high tech version of Walmart...not even, because Walmart guarantees minimum wage.

So far, it's not good and I feel lied to in terms of pay. You make no where near $25, but more like $8.

Current Freelancer - Courier in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Freelancer - Courier in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Postmates (less than a year)

Pros

You discover new places to eat, but that's it.

Cons

People don't tip despite the fact they've taken out "no tip" as an option. Your car is getting lots of wear and tear. You pay for gas, so that has to be taken into account. The biggest is that I feel lied to. They shouldn't say you can possible make $25 an hour. It's more like $8, which sucks, and from what I've read so far from others, it's the same thing.

Don't lie to potential employees.

just went to first orientation

I have been working at Postmates

Pros

so far they made everything sound good,i'll keep you updated on how it is

Cons

you have to have an iphone if you dont have an iphone with ios 7 or higher you can't do the job so its only iphones 4s and up

8. Postmates courier

Former Freelancer - Courier in Washington, DC
    Former Freelancer - Courier in Washington, DC

I worked at Postmates (less than a year)

Pros

Staff is amazing everyone is super friendly and helpful. They also have a big focus on being a social group rather than just a work community so there are always events bringing couriers and management together.

Cons

pay rate fluctuates a lot depending on when you work as well as depending on the location where you are picking up jobs and how much competition you have with fellow couriers

N/A management was the best part of this job, very helpful, quick to respond to questions or requests. Maybe keep management consistent because it felt like community managers were leaving to start new areas all the time.

New tip system is taking money right out of the couriers pockets!

Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer
    Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

I worked at Postmates (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, most of the time there are jobs to be done, the pay is okay $13-$20 an hour, get to explore your city and see some really nice places.

Cons

Customer service takes forever when there is a problem sometimes, the new tip system encourages lowball tipping instead of % based tipping like before. Couriers weren't even asked if we would like the new system even though it affects us the most that's why I'll be looking for a new job as of today.

Change the tips back to being percent based instead of $2/$4/$6 because we work way too hard to have you suggest to our customers that they should tip $2

It's cool to have a side gig, but this is only side Gig money, I have a daytime job. It's fun to ride my bike around.

I have been working at Postmates

Pros

Flexible scheduling, direct deposit, get to know different restaurants, learn new streets in my city, good exercise riding my road bike, tips add up

Cons

No benefits, I do dislike riding in bad weather, should have some sort of medical benefits to compensate for dodging traffic

Raise delivery service fee

Just started...

Current Freelancer - Just Started and It's Ok in Chicago, IL
    Current Freelancer - Just Started and It's Ok in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Postmates

Pros

Flexible hours.
    Great zones to work in.
    High pay.
    Unlimited hours.
    Friendly co-workers at meetings and social gatherings.
    1 million dollars liability insurance on the job.
    24 hour work available depending on your area.

Cons

Unorganized.
    No enough training and when you mess up getting started and get rated badly you can be dropped for having a 4.7/5 star rating...
    Short office hours.
    App forces you to text/drive constantly...

More training needs to be provided and/or tips on how to improve rating...

Postmates Photos