Postmates Reviews

Updated October 16, 2014
Updated October 16, 2014
3.6

Bastian Lehmann, Sam Street & Sean Plaice

Pros
  • At the end of the day, I love to ride my bike and if I can get paid for it, wow, I am stoked (in 4 reviews)

• Flexible schedule but not much else at this point (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • My guess would be the average courier earns less than minimum wage (in 7 reviews)

• 99% of couriers are independent contractors (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Good, but of course with its problems

Current Employee - Postmate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Postmate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Postmates as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Can work anytime, average payout per delivery is about $10 including tip. Get to ride your bike around the city, explore new places and restaurants, and be a part of the San Francisco culture.

Cons

Some orders waste your time with no compensation. Like if someone orders something from a restaurant, they call ahead. If no one answers, they tell you to order when you get there. Sometimes the restaurant is closed, and they don't give you any compensation for your wasted time. Even after you tell them it's closed, it still may take some time for them to get you off the job and onto another. This is a specific example of all kinds of time-wasters, some that can be your fault. Any time you contact them for job support it takes about 5 minutes for someone to even take your call (they are short staffed), which makes it less likely you'll get tipped because it delays your order delivery time. Also, some orders are just too big for bikes, and it's not easy to tell until after you get to the business place, which is very stressful because there's no easy way to let them know.

Offer compensation to postmates when it's not their fault that an order gets screwed up. Have a better system for deliveries that should have a car.

Fun way to make some extra money; not a viable long-term job

Current Employee - Courier in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Courier in Washington, DC

I have been working at Postmates as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

You can make decent money especially on the weekends. You get to decide when you work and which jobs you accept. Some people are good tippers and the customers tend to be very nice, tech-savvy people. It is also a great way to find new restaurants and explore the city. The app is easy to use and the whole process runs like a well oiled machine. In my experience thus far, you CAN make the promised $25-30 an hour depending on the day of the week. It is overall a fun experience and it becomes slightly addictive. Flexibility, flexibility, flexibility.

Cons

Not being an actual employee is difficult because you are NOT entitled to anything. If it is slow, you don't make as much money. Sometimes there isn't any work for 30-45 minutes, especially during non-peak hours. There is no fixed wage, it is all commission. Sitting in traffic and dealing with certain restaurants is a serious pain. The company calls and places your order immediately after you accept a job, meaning you have to hustle to the restaurant to ensure the food doesn't get cold. I find it sometimes difficult to complete a job in the "promised" 1-hour window but this could be because I am relatively new and still learning. The app drains your battery.

Increase courier benefits and stop promising under an hour for certain jobs.

The American dream job

Current Employee - Bike Courier in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Bike Courier in New York, NY

I have been working at Postmates full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everything. Postmates is so good I really don't know why anyone would be unhappy with them. I ride my bike all around New York seeing and visiting all kind of stores and restaurants. I am happy here, really. Customers tip well always and I can call up the office when there's a need for. The job basically allows me to lead a respective NYC while also helping with college loans. My only wish is that they make me the top courier of the month one day though.

Cons

None. Everything is better here. Perks? I only wish now they would offer us Iphone 6s in time for the holidays.

Don't change anything boss. Don't listen to these haters.

You're better off working for someone else

Current Employee - Courier in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Courier in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Postmates as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

You can go on the clock ANYTIME you want, regardless of the time of day. So if you want to potentially make some extra money, you can whenever you'd like.

Cons

OK, these claims of $20/hr are not remotely accurate. You might have a single day when you make $20 in an hour, but that's going to be VERY rare. Even if you have scheduled a time to be active, it's rare if you get more than 2 orders filled in an hour, and you've got to travel a significant distance to make the deliveries. Your delivery area is basically the entire city you are in, so you might end up on one side of the city, and the ONLY available job that comes up next is on the other side of the city. Plus, they don't give you much time to decide if you want to accept an order. When you get buzzed to do an order, you're not the only one. In a normal delivery service, you get contacted and have at least a couple minutes to respond. Postmates just sends a blanket page to contractors in a certain range from the pickup location and whoever pushes the accept button first gets it. So if you are in the middle of paying attention to the road and can't hit the button right away, then you'll probably miss the chance.

In summary, if you average $9/hr of time working for postmates, you're doing well. Clearly you can get paid the same amount or better more reliably somewhere else.

Three suggestions:
    (1) Instead of hiring tons of people to keep delivery times down, hire enough people to cover a defined area and keep them busy that way
    (2) In order to retain employees, offer a base salary for inactive time. So if nothing is happening, the employee gets paid to stay available. No employee is going to stay long if they realize there's lots of down time. They can't afford to
    (3) If an employee is given a base salary for downtime, then it's natural to expect them to complete any job given. Therefore, just assign a new job automatically to whichever employee is next in line for a delivery. So if I just accepted a job, whoever is next to get a job gets assigned the next one.

Small teams, fast growth, and interesting problems

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Postmates full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company feels small and everything is done super collaboratively. People seem to genuinely enjoy being here and doing the work they do, which makes for a fun environment. The company has a ton of things going on that will take the product to the next level, and I'm excited to see where it all leads. The CEO is pretty eccentric, but very accessible and down to earth which I appreciate.

Cons

This is definitely still a startup and the hours reflect it. If I ever stop enjoying my work, this will be a problem.

Keep things fun and take us to the next level.

Company with an awesome product that lacks in motivation

Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Postmates part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best thing about any startup, in my opinion, is the free food. And at Postmates that extends to booze, i.e. beer, wine, and even the occasional bottle of liquor when consumed in moderation. Most of the people who work in my department are hard-working, professional, but also laid-back enough to enjoy working with. I've had little contact with upper management beyond my boss so I can't comment on Bastian Lehmann, the CEO, but the team managing the company seems competent enough given the dramatic growth the company is experiencing.

Cons

The pay is okay, not great, but alright. The biggest downside of working for Postmates is a serious lack of motivation, at least on my part. If I do a great job handling a task, I never hear anything positive back, nor is there any monetary incentive for doing better work. And, for full-time employees, the company requires "100% open availability," which has lead to a number of my coworkers/friends either getting burned out or quitting with little altogether or no notice.

Show your Customer Service team they're appreciate more rather than treating them like the lowest common denominator in the company. Make an effort to include them in the rest of the organization, instead of making them feel like isolated pariahs. Beyond that, give people who do great work financial incentives for doing it, money talks.

FAKE REVIEWS MADE BY THE COMPANY. STAY AWAY FROM THIS UTTER FAILURE.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Postmates part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Smell food all day in your car
    Petty cash if you're a student that's deaperate for some side money.

Cons

20/hr??? More like below minimum wage. 1099 means you owe all that hard earned money and tips back to murrica. Wear and tear on your car is not worth making 7-8 dolllars an hour.

Gps system is flawed. You can be 30 minutes away from a job and customer support places the order right away even though you're still half an hour away.. Now the food will be nice and cold when you get there and that means low ratings and no tips.

Why would I drive to a place that is 10 miles away for $5? The money you make is based on how close the restauant is to the customer, now how close you are to the pickup.

Endless requests from the same customer = no driver bc they all realize how stupid the pay and app is.

High turnover rate means that its a terrible place to work for.

Unless you like wasting ALL of your money on gas, better off working at target.

Traffic in dc is horrendous, so good luck delivering your food on time so u can make $5(20% of it goes to the.company, just lol.

Sell your comany, it aint going no where

Terrible company to work for, go find other places to make "20/hr", just LOL

Current Employee - Courier
    Current Employee - Courier

I have been working at Postmates full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good exercise/find new restaurants if you're new to the city

Cons

1. Low pay. Why would I want to take a $5 delivery (company takes 25%) to deliver from a restaurant that is 20 minutes away from my current location? Gas + wear & tear + risking parking tickets = net loss of $20/hr+.

2.APP is a joke. It keeps ringing up orders that no one takes. Do you know why? b/c no one wants to ride/bike 30 minutes from their location. How about improving the process of finding drivers/riders that are 5 minutes away from that pickup location.

3. If you work in a busy city, have fun standing in line for 30 minutes to order food b/c customer service is too lazy to wait. IF they do order food, they do it right away, that means you have to hustle your butt to a place that is 30 minutes away when the restaurant is telling me the food will be ready in 5 minutes.

If you're getting constant requests, it means your area is lacking riders/drivers b/c they left this horrible company.

tl;dr: go work at walmart, you'll make the same and save wear/tear on your vehicle and PLUS, u can health/dental from walmart.

not even worth giving advice to you guys.

Know what you're getting into, and you'll be fine

Current Employee - Courier in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Courier in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Postmates part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Ability to choose own schedule, Easy hiring and on boarding process, get paid to ride your bike, pretty autonomous, pay is deposited consistently.

Cons

Only take this job if you like to ride your bike. It's that simple. You won't make enough consistently to make it a full time gig -- and since we'll all 1099 contractors, you're gonna owe the government 30% of whatever you did make all year. But if you're looking to pick up some spare cash -- on your own schedule -- this is a great gig. Where else can you turn on an app and be working, then turn it off and be done?

Now as far as legitimate cons go, the worst part is that there's no budget to tip the folks who prepare the order. You feel like a loser going in to pick up a $60 carry-out order with multiple instructions for a fellow service worker, and not being able to leave them anything.

Make a pass-through 5% surcharge for tipping the folks who prepare the orders. Will go a long way towards keeping your couriers in the good graces of the service industry.

Scam

Current Employee - Courier in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Courier in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Postmates as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Why do you have to enter a minimum of 20 words when you don't have anything to say about the Pros?

Cons

Look at all the positive reviews here - most of them have been posted the same day (weird no?)

They advertise on Google $20 per hour... I just did a delivery that took me 2 hours for a $9 sandwich.
    At the end, after delivering the customer, due to a bug in the app, the support cancelled my "job".
    So I won't be paid. Cool no?

consider and pay your couriers better or your company gonna burst like the little bubble it is.

Postmates Photos