Postmates

Updated December 15, 2014
Updated December 15, 2014
3.8

Bastian Lehmann, Sam Street & Sean Plaice

Pros
  • At the end of the day, I love to ride my bike and if I can get paid for it, wow, I am stoked (in 4 reviews)

• Flexible schedule but not much else at this point (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • 99% of couriers are independent contractors (in 7 reviews)

• My guess would be the average courier earns less than minimum wage (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Good, but of course with its problems

Current Employee - Postmate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Postmate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Postmates as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Can work anytime, average payout per delivery is about $10 including tip. Get to ride your bike around the city, explore new places and restaurants, and be a part of the San Francisco culture.

Cons

Some orders waste your time with no compensation. Like if someone orders something from a restaurant, they call ahead. If no one answers, they tell you to order when you get there. Sometimes the restaurant is closed, and they don't give you any compensation for your wasted time. Even after you tell them it's closed, it still may take some time for them to get you off the job and onto another. This is a specific example of all kinds of time-wasters, some that can be your fault. Any time you contact them for job support it takes about 5 minutes for someone to even take your call (they are short staffed), which makes it less likely you'll get tipped because it delays your order delivery time. Also, some orders are just too big for bikes, and it's not easy to tell until after you get to the business place, which is very stressful because there's no easy way to let them know.

Offer compensation to postmates when it's not their fault that an order gets screwed up. Have a better system for deliveries that should have a car.

Fun job,

Ride the City

Current Employee - Messenger, Courier in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Messenger, Courier in New York, NY

I have been working at Postmates full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I like this job, flexible,fun, and meeting new people in the city

can get paid pretty decent if you are fast.

weekends are pretty good money especially in bad weather

Cons

- Consider having an resettable amount of allowable absents for each Postmates for a specific time frame. This is actually a win-win proposition for both the courier and Postmates Inc. Due to the fact that more couriers are willing to to sign up for shifts and have a fixed number of "allowable" absents as an option to be let off the hook and not be afraid of being penalized; thus having more couriers on fleet, thus more couriers delivering, results in more money to Postmates Inc. and their venture capitalists. Sometimes us as couriers do have emergencies and do need a day off.

-can get injured because of accidents

-Consider having re-settable amount of allowable absences for shifts, example: allowable 2 absences per month, results in more couriers signing up for shifts because they're not afraid of being penalized if they have a few lifelines

- The Lack of training given to Postmate Couriers for Alcohol & Tobacco deliveries & checking ID/calculating birthdays. Most couriers who doesn't own a tobacco or liquor license as all Delis do, & couriers who don't buy,smoke, or drink these items, forget the rules or unsure of age requirement for alcohol & tobacco purchases & law(also couriers don't know the severity of consequences as well). When is it appropriate to check ID?, some people look younger than they look and some people look older than they look so everything is just personal judgement. In other companies like Duane Reade,CVS,Rite Aid: they type in the Birthdate on the pre-installed phone app/computer/Cash register digitally calculating customer's birthday so they won't have to calculate it themselves too much, whereas a Postmate courier usually does not have a convenient access system in place to calculate the birthday(other than by head if the Courier isn't too tired to calculate it or inconveniently close the Postmates courier app and open the calculator app, close the calculator app, then reopen courier app). Customer's end of the app should have a "We Card (Must be 18 or 21 or older on the Customer's End of the app to not waste the courier's time on delivering a non-legal delivery) . Though after about 1 year, then they started to have some reminders before logon of the Postmate Going On Duty App or IF the even check their emails reminders. Management should have did the training in person from day one because couriers rarely go to the office after the initial orientation. Postmates should have a better App system in place for these alcohol and tobacco items to have an option to type in the customer's birthday so : Postmates don't forget checking ID because they might sometimes do because of the stressful adrenaline rush of the next delivery or 1 hours delivery time limit Also Not everybody is good with math and calculate the birthdays or they might not be mentally there since they are exhausted to to calculate numbers in their head.

Freedom isn't free with this job

Current Employee - Courier in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Postmates as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

You are your own boss, you can accept or reject as many deliveries as you'd like, pick any hours to work.

Cons

The job punishes your car, most delivery offers barely cover gas let alone produce any profit, for instance, I get offers all the time to drive 13 miles for $4.10. Ridiculous.
    You are an independent contractor, which doesn't mean you are independent from them, but they are independent from you. In a job like delivering, there are a lot of risks, you could die, let alone not afford to feed yourself on their wages and it would be no sweat off their back.
    This company is an evil one to work for and they put up a big front about how they are "awesome" how they are "changing the world" when really they are reverting the world back to the days of slave labor. As a courier, you are worth less than dirt to them.
    The pay sucks, a job is a job no matter how you look at it, and they need to make way higher payouts or this will crash soon.

Look out for the people who are the base of your entire company.

Good

I have been working at Postmates

Pros

Everything about this company is good

Cons

No cons about this company . I like it

None

Guys, postmates is the thing!

I have been working at Postmates part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The first day i worked with these guys i was abit worried to be honest because i read a couple of negative reviews. However, after having my app set up and my pic was posted, i turned my app on and hit the road. Five minutes after driving in the delivery zone, i got a delivery request and until i turned my app off i was constantly recieving orders and delivering. I was hoping to make at least 40$ the first day just to get encourage but i got paid way more than that in less than 3 hours and a half!

Cons

Parking spots. I was constantly concerned about my car in most of my deliveries as some places have limited or no parking spaces.

Work on updating the software of the app, it has alot of bugs which made my gps turn off and my phone freeze for a while.

Fun way to make some extra money; not a viable long-term job

I have been working at Postmates as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

You can make decent money especially on the weekends. You get to decide when you work and which jobs you accept. Some people are good tippers and the customers tend to be very nice, tech-savvy people. It is also a great way to find new restaurants and explore the city. The app is easy to use and the whole process runs like a well oiled machine. In my experience thus far, you CAN make the promised $25-30 an hour depending on the day of the week. It is overall a fun experience and it becomes slightly addictive. Flexibility, flexibility, flexibility.

Cons

Not being an actual employee is difficult because you are NOT entitled to anything. If it is slow, you don't make as much money. Sometimes there isn't any work for 30-45 minutes, especially during non-peak hours. There is no fixed wage, it is all commission. Sitting in traffic and dealing with certain restaurants is a serious pain. The company calls and places your order immediately after you accept a job, meaning you have to hustle to the restaurant to ensure the food doesn't get cold. I find it sometimes difficult to complete a job in the "promised" 1-hour window but this could be because I am relatively new and still learning. The app drains your battery.

Increase courier benefits and stop promising under an hour for certain jobs.

Courier

Current Employee - Courier in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Courier in Denver, CO

I have been working at Postmates part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love the flexibility. You work when you want to work!

Cons

Support?!?.... You're definitely on your own! .....You know what you ask!!

Great app! ... But needs tweaking!! I don't know really what happens in the office!. But I do know as a frontline courier... Knowledge is key!! ..

The American dream job

Current Employee - Bike Courier in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Bike Courier in New York, NY

I have been working at Postmates full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everything. Postmates is so good I really don't know why anyone would be unhappy with them. I ride my bike all around New York seeing and visiting all kind of stores and restaurants. I am happy here, really. Customers tip well always and I can call up the office when there's a need for. The job basically allows me to lead a respective NYC while also helping with college loans. My only wish is that they make me the top courier of the month one day though.

Cons

None. Everything is better here. Perks? I only wish now they would offer us Iphone 6s in time for the holidays.

Don't change anything boss. Don't listen to these haters.

You're better off working for someone else

Current Employee - Courier in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Courier in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Postmates as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

You can go on the clock ANYTIME you want, regardless of the time of day. So if you want to potentially make some extra money, you can whenever you'd like.

Cons

OK, these claims of $20/hr are not remotely accurate. You might have a single day when you make $20 in an hour, but that's going to be VERY rare. Even if you have scheduled a time to be active, it's rare if you get more than 2 orders filled in an hour, and you've got to travel a significant distance to make the deliveries. Your delivery area is basically the entire city you are in, so you might end up on one side of the city, and the ONLY available job that comes up next is on the other side of the city. Plus, they don't give you much time to decide if you want to accept an order. When you get buzzed to do an order, you're not the only one. In a normal delivery service, you get contacted and have at least a couple minutes to respond. Postmates just sends a blanket page to contractors in a certain range from the pickup location and whoever pushes the accept button first gets it. So if you are in the middle of paying attention to the road and can't hit the button right away, then you'll probably miss the chance.

In summary, if you average $9/hr of time working for postmates, you're doing well. Clearly you can get paid the same amount or better more reliably somewhere else.

Three suggestions:
    (1) Instead of hiring tons of people to keep delivery times down, hire enough people to cover a defined area and keep them busy that way
    (2) In order to retain employees, offer a base salary for inactive time. So if nothing is happening, the employee gets paid to stay available. No employee is going to stay long if they realize there's lots of down time. They can't afford to
    (3) If an employee is given a base salary for downtime, then it's natural to expect them to complete any job given. Therefore, just assign a new job automatically to whichever employee is next in line for a delivery. So if I just accepted a job, whoever is next to get a job gets assigned the next one.

In reality, more like $2~$4/hr you'll be making. $20/hr = scam

I have been working at Postmates part-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you like driving/riding your bike, sure.

Cons

Don't know where to start!

1.Gas prices + wear & tear on your vehicle = you'll be making negative dollars in the long run. Average job will be around 5-7 dollars. Lets say it takes you 30 minutes to complete ONE job. You have to first drive up to the restaurant, wait for the order, and then drive to the drop off location. That 7 dollar job just became a 4 dollar job after your gas usage and other vehicle wear (especially in a city with terrible roads (D.C)).

2.We live off of tips, but yet the tip button is the smallest thing on the screen. WHY? I guess they dont want the customers to feel obligated to tip.

3.I figured this job would be perfect for being a college student, but it ends up exhausting you to no end. All the stop & go driving, watching out for other crazy drivers, and then risking getting a ticket for double parking is not worth it at all. Good luck working during rush hour traffic.

4.They need to send orders to people that are CLOSE to the restaurant. No one is going to drive 30 minutes one way for a 5 dollar job. That's why everyone keeps rejecting jobs, which equates to unhappy customers.

5.Like others have mentioned, 30% goes to uncle same so that 5 dollar job after gas, etc is now a 1 dollar job.

6.Customer support is clueless and they often give up on restaurants that dont pick their phone up. So while you're busting to get their to pick the order up, they call you 20 minutes later and deliver the news that you have to place it at the location.

Offer hourly wages, it's the only way you'll have a steady group of couriers who will be excited to stay on-duty. If not, most couriers go off duty b/c they realize that they'll end up losing money from all the driving/idling around.

Postmates Photos