Postmates

Updated January 28, 2015
Updated January 28, 2015
3.6

Bastian Lehmann, Sam Street & Sean Plaice

Pros
  • At the end of the day, I love to ride my bike and if I can get paid for it, wow, I am stoked (in 4 reviews)

• Flexible schedule but not much else at this point (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • 99% of couriers are independent contractors (in 7 reviews)

• My guess would be the average courier earns less than minimum wage (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Working for them was okay overall.

Former Employee - Physical Therapist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Physical Therapist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Postmates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, work when you want, potential to make good money in peak hours, your the boss.

Cons

They claim that you can make "up to 25 hr" but the average is about 12. If youre using your car, its totally not worth it. No benefits.

Be honest on how much contractors actually make, instead of advertising a high number to attract people.

Meh

I have been working at Postmates part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Freedom. I love riding my bike and getting paid for it is pretty nice. If you are able to schedule yourself you can make decent money. But decent is about $15 an hour.

Cons

The pay can be good if you schedule yourself. If you do not schedule yourself you won't get many jobs. The biggest issues are: 1) the constantly hire postmates so getting a scheduled shift can be tough at times. 2) I have only met one manager who was legitimately nice to the couriers. All other managers i have met (4 of them) treated the couriers like scum and did not really act like the couriers were actual people trying to hustle to earn a living.

Be Nice to the couriers and treat them with respect. This should be obvious but the revolving door of Postmates seems to harden most managers.

It would be worth it if the delivery charges were twice what they are

Current Employee - Driver in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Driver in New York, NY

I have been working at Postmates part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, Dispatched work through app makes it easy to view and manage jobs, always near restaurants, so food availability for yourself is convenient .
    Direct deposit into you account after 5-7 days.

Cons

I've worked 2 days with this company so far, and not too happy with the amount of work vs pay ratio.

After 30 years in the messenger industry, I believe I can give a fair review, however, I'm comparing Postmates to a conventional courier which does not handle food. That being said, Postmates can no way near the earnings you can make from a courier company, in which sometimes you can earn $75 for a critical time frame job. $4 for a delivery that takes 45 min to complete? It depends how desperate you are.

Pick ups are dispatched via an app that works on iphone only. You have an hour to complete the whole pickup/delivery that is dispatched. Of course busy times are lunch and dinner, and most of the time, the postmate service rep will have the order called in for you, but sometimes not, which means you have to call it in when you arrive at the restaurant.
    Let's say you are 10 min away from the restaurant and you are lucky enough to find a parking space (especially in Manhattan). Typical meals take 20 min to prepare, you you are already into the delivery 30 min. Now comes time to pay with the issued reloadable credit card they give you - bartender in the back, who handles food is crazy busy (he manages the take out in this particular restaurant). You hand him the card to pay - he swipes it and then frowns as he hands the card back to you saying it's not good.
    Arrrh. notify postmate customer service via your app that you need more funds on your card. 10 minutes later they call to verify the amount you need - food getting colder now while you are doing this. OK, so now we've eaten about 45 min into the hour time frame and you go to deliver on the upper west side - double park with your parking lights on and run upstairs to the client at the 60 minute mark - hand them your app to verify charges and maybe they will click on the very TINY button to add a tip (we should hand the customer a magnifying glass to see it) and then hope they added something to your $4 - $5 cut, but I never noticed any of the customers tapping the tip button (I believe it advances in 25 cent increments.)
    So, I Did a $300 dinner order with no tip - yay!!!

Of course, this might not be the typical scenario, but even if you can knock out 2 Per hour (3 possible?) it's barely worth it if you are using a car.
    Most of the deliveries were huge bags of food that I don't know where a bicyclist or motor scooter guy would be able to store the food without damaging it, especially if you have a ton of drinks and shakes with your order.

My car wreaked of fast food the next morning, so if you like the smell of fast food you're in luck. Maybe a large plastic tub with a cover will help to keep the smell contained.

Double the service fees.
    Make the tip buttons larger!
    Preload the credit card with higher amounts (come on, this is Manhattan) as to avoid service interruptions.

If you say anything negative they fire you

Former Employee - Delivery
    Former Employee - Delivery

I worked at Postmates

Pros

I was excited because I was making some extra cash on the side in the beginning.

Cons

They don't do any training whatsoever, they fired me because I complained that I wasn't getting any orders or shifts for the last week or so and that I was looking into competition to balance my free hours.

You need to address problems that are a constant issue coming up to many people. Telling someone you are no longer working with them because they mention a competitor is terrible, you need to explain why you are better to work for, obviously your not so you get upset and fire people? The idea of this was to work in my free time yet if I don't schedule shifts a week in advance I get no work.

Do not expect $25/ hour

Current Employee - Courier in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Courier in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Postmates

Pros

flexible hours and schedule. Lunch and dinner is most busy

Cons

no where close to $25/hour. More like $12. Then you add in the gas, car, maintenance cost then you got yourself scratching your head! Some customers like to fake a tip.
    Does not tell you where ending location is until job is accepted

needs better pay per job because tip is not guaranteed. App should tell you how much the job pays and the delivery destination. More difficult jobs should pay more.

Pay well under minimum wage is unacceptable even as supplementary income

Current Employee - Courier
    Current Employee - Courier

I have been working at Postmates

Pros

It's not like everything about working for Postmates is horrendous, frankly, it's not and there have been times when I've been pleasently surprised by them. For instance, when a customer cancels an already made food order and you're en route to pick it up or deliver it you get a free lunch. There have been a few times when they have called me and told me that I would be garunteed $20/hr and if I did not receive that they would write me a check to make up the difference. (but granted this came after I was six months in.)

Cons

The pay. It's terrible. There have been nights when I've made $4 an hour and the thing is, even though i see how this job would be beneficial as supplementary income, $4 an hour is insulting. This job is hard work you spend your time pedaling up 90 degree mountains in SF to be greeted by hoity toity customers who don't always tip. They hire anyone with a pulse which has its own pros and cons but there's no training. Messenging IS a skill and when I began there was a lot I had to teach myself (to the dismay of customers). When I started (in NYC) they didn't just give you a rack and a bag - they told you to buy a hot and cold bag from Whole Foods, when they later did offer me a rack they told me I had to buy new handlebars. These are all expenses to be extracted from already meager pay. Bike maintenence? Gas? Commuting fees? None of this is covered - and so the nights when you end up getting a flat after making $4 /hr will leave you scowling.

The bells and whistles are nice (rack and bag, I mean) but consider upping the pay a bit. Maybe doing some kind of business reorganization so the couriers are seen as actual human beings? I just see the offices getting fancier and fancier while it's still a back break to scrap up $100. Free bike maintenence would be appreciated

Best way to earn money while in school

I have been working at Postmates part-time (less than a year)

Pros

When you're on schedule, the job is a breeze. Also if you have a car. It's an amazing way to earn some money without having to work an actual part-time, scheduled, job.

Cons

No cons, only a few minor issues with the employee's app.

You guys are awesome, way to choose a great crowd to sell your business to!

Great Great Great! You get what you put into it!

I have been working at Postmates part-time (less than a year)

Pros

- You're your own boss
    -time flies!
    -keeps you busy
    -growing by the day
    -payed weekly.
    -discover your city way more!
    -Good pay
    -Plenty of space to grow.

Cons

-traffic, but that's all, and you're a courier so youre getting paid to BE in traffic basically.

It's a hustle; if you hustle you make money

Current Employee - Courier in New York, NY

I have been working at Postmates full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule. You can schedule shifts and you get "priority status" so you'll be the first to be notified of new jobs. You can reject jobs if you need to. You can literally go "on duty" anytime 24/7 even if you're not scheduled. They pay is decent, I've been averaging about $10-$15 hour. The compensation for each delivery is based on distance from the pick-up to drop off so some jobs have lower payouts, $4.60-$6.00 but I've noticed that when I accept lower paying jobs I usually get a higher paying job offer next, I don't know if this is coincidence or not. Most customers do tip and the tip is based on a % of the total order price. They can tip in 5% increments, so 5% 10% 15% etc and most orders are $40-$80. I had one customer who ordered $130 worth of food and tipped at 20% so the earning potential is there. Customer service is very kind and helpful and will call the restaurant ahead of time to place the order. All you do is pick up and drop off, mostly. They give you a prepaid debit card so you don't have to pay for the customers order out of your own pocket.

Cons

Public transportation is sometimes unreliable and especially on weekends and late nights it's more difficult to get there in time. Rain. Some customers don't tip or will call the restaurant ahead to order and pay for their own food so they only tip on the small delivery fee. You have to have an iphone 4S or higher to download the app. It doesn't work on android. They will, however, lease you an iphone 5 for a $100 credit card deposit (which is refunded when you give the iphone back).

Offer a workshop or send out emails with tips and other advice to improve your courier's service.

Income

I have been working at Postmates

Pros

Great for a side job better when full time and working from 1Pm-10Pm

Cons

Need to branch out to more location

Keep on improving the app and website with a urban-modern ui feel

Postmates Photos