Potawatomi Bingo and Casino Reviews

Mike Goodrich

1. Cocktail Server

Current Employee - Cocktail Server in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Cocktail Server in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Potawatomi Bingo and Casino part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice tips if you work for them

Cons

Rude guests, not the best management team, hard to get days off

2. Fun environment

I have been working at Potawatomi Bingo and Casino full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Upbeat environment. The employees are really nice to each other. The onsite fitness center and employee dining room are very convenient.

Cons

It's a 24/7 business so night are weekend shifts are common.

3. Tread lLghtly

I worked at Potawatomi Bingo and Casino

Pros

Longevity Money is good Discounts on tickets

Cons

Customers suck Backstabbing Gossip Management is clueless Full time is not guaranteed

Advice to Management

Being a manager doesn't give you the right to be a jerk.

5. Casino Industry

I worked at Potawatomi Bingo and Casino

Pros

I enjoyed building relationships with the co-workers and customers. It was a fun, fast-paced environment that made each day unique and I didn't bored going to work each day.

Cons

The regulatory body made newer employees nervous about providing quality customer service. They made the employee feel policy and procedure was more important than customer service.

Advice to Management

Work to keep and train the talent you get. Lose the mindset that says you'll find someone else. It is important to those that report to those leaders that move on to have continuity in their leadership.

6. Security Officer

I worked at Potawatomi Bingo and Casino part-time

Pros

Job in not like anything else.

Cons

feels like a high school. takes forever to advance.

Advice to Management

don't lay off good employees

7. Security

I have been working at Potawatomi Bingo and Casino

Pros

The days go by fast

Cons

Hours can be changed at a moments notice

8. Management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Potawatomi Bingo and Casino full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities for growth, fun environment, social responsibility, philanthropically inclined, stakeholder culture

Cons

Treat employees as they are expendable, Silent Whistle Investigations at the drop of a hat regardless if substantiated, employees constantly in fear of losing their job due to factors outside of their control, leadership lacks professionalism and business acumen, high turnover, absenteeism, internal conflict

Advice to Management

Hire outside HR consultants to provide an outside, non biased fix to the many problems that plague the casino and make everyone responsible and accountable. Start with leadership (GMs) where most issue start.

9. No room for honest human error

Former Employee - Bingo Floor Attendant in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Bingo Floor Attendant in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Potawatomi Bingo and Casino full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits were pretty good. Better than other businesses. Fast pace work environment Meet new and different people everyday Tips can be great

Cons

Hourly rate. Hard to take vacation since check is mostly based on tips Management unfriendly, talk to nobody, act like they better than everyone Higher management power hungry hypocrites. Make a small harmless mistake, full fledged write up, they make same mistake, it's ok though They say it's all about customer service, which is a total lie. Management doesn't even know who is working for them. Pretty sad Request days off often rejected. Odd hours.

Advice to Management

Stop and relax. Honesty mistakes do happen. Especially if it were a 1st time. No reason to go to a write up. Lead by example, stop making mistakes themselves. Get to know who is working for you. I say 90% of the staff, you don't even know their name without looking at the name tag. That's pretty sad. Bet they wouldn't survive working what we do, and not make little mistakes. They wouldn't survive. And they wonder why everyone is we quitting.

10. Toxic Environment

I worked at Potawatomi Bingo and Casino part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice benefits, but for the most part they were difficult to use thanks to scheduling or unavailable to part time people

Cons

Physically, mentally, and emotionally toxic environment. Massive supervisor and manager favoritism and strong clique structure. Accidentally came into contact with a guest's urine three times and bloody gauze once during routine duties and cleaning. Requested gloves multiple times but our supervisor never obtained them. No opportunity for advancement in my department and no hope for full time work, but the unpredictability and inflexibility of the schedule made a second job impossible. Supervisor was completely unwilling to accommodate a second job even though I informed her in the interview that I would need to have one to get by financially. The "family" atmosphere is all well and good, I suppose if you are part of the family. Otherwise they make it very clear you are an outsider, and I had to constantly struggle with favoritism and active antagonism from my supervisor and certain coworkers. It was common to be "scheduled" for only 5 hours but to end up working significantly more, with only a 15 minute break. As soon as you hit a certain number of hours, the payroll system automatically deducts half an hour from your payroll for the 30 minute unpaid lunch we almost never got to take. Yay for working for free... The stress of this job was aggravating an existing medical condition I have, and my doctor strongly recommended I check into the hospital for an intensive treatment as soon as possible to try to get my condition under control. Despite being there over a year, i still did not qualify for FMLA, so I delayed this treatment trying to get my supervisor to approve a leave for me to get well, but eventually after a couple of months, an escalation of my condition, an attempt at outpatient treatment, a continued decline in my health, and stronger urging from my doctor to opt for the hospital approach, I had to go over her head and convince HR to override her and allow me to take a personal leave. I ended up hospitalized for 23 days. The treatment probably would have only lasted 5-7 days had I started when the doctor first recommended it. The day after I was discharged from the hospital I was supposed to start back and work 7 days straight. They were not willing to accommodate the fact that I could not handle that work load directly out of the hospital and treated me like I had just been on a month long vacation. I quit on the spot.

Advice to Management

Have a heart. For everyone, not just your favorites. Realize that employees are people with needs and lives, and sometimes those are inconvenient, but they are still important. And if an employee comes to you with a concern, your response should never be "I don't want to hear it."

11. I like the people I work with.

Current Employee - Front Line in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Front Line in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Potawatomi Bingo and Casino

Pros

You recieve on-going training, affordable benefits, free tickets to company sponsored events.

Cons

No fault attendance policy, no sick days, no paid holidays, company is open 24/7/365!

Advice to Management

Show more compassion toward employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed