Potawatomi Bingo and Casino

Updated Jun 6, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mike Goodrich

Can be stressful but keeps you focused.

Cage Cashier (Current Employee)
    Milwaukee, WI

ProsFellow Employees are compasionate and understand they are in the same boat as you.
    Pay rate is higher than bank tellers.
    Free tickets to local events, summerfest and statefair.

ConsStressful at times when the casino is very busy.
    Being told to have good customer service yet process an endless line of customers who can be very demanding.
    Supervisors want to pull their hair out because of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake policies common knowledge. Everybody seems to have a different idea what is right or wrong.
    Example verifies and closed sign usage.

Great place to work if you want to bang your head against the wall the whole time you're employed there.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt's a decent job if you're young and don't have any real future plans.

ConsPoorly managed. Departments have salary caps that are unrealistic. In the 10+ years that i worked there from the time I was hired until the time I left I actually lost wages! Yet my responsibilities in my position were constantly increasing. Changes get made in the casino that affect the employees wages and management doesn't seem to care. You are constantly told "it's just temporary,you'll see your wages go back up" but they never do. Some supervisors and managers have no business being in the positions that they are do to lack of people skills,common sense and professionalism.There's a general "one does something wrong and everyone gets punished" attitude and people are treated like children. Too many of them play favorites and because of that you have employees who any other company would have fired before their 90 days was up but yet there they seem to always fly under the radar. Because of that the good,hard working employees are picking up their slack,being over worked and under paid and getting burnt out. Before I left cut backs were already being made to compensate for the hotel that is being built. Annual raises were replaced with "be glad you have a job",benefits were being cut or eliminated and PTO accrual was ok, if you were actually allowed to use it. We were always hearing how the casino "fell short" of it's goals and that's why raises were taken away yet then we'd read in the paper how many millions the casino made the year before and all of the wasteful spending they did. Most departments were short handed and so more times than not your PTOs were denied. Policies were constantly being changed,sometimes without notice. Working environment was less than desirable also. Casino is never really "cleaned" so employees are constantly getting sick and since you are only allowed a few call ins you are constantly just rotating the bugs from one employee to another and never really seem to get over an illness. Clientele there can be rude and sometimes questionable and the casino does nothing to protect their employees. There are no metal detectors at any of the doors so anyone can walk onto the premises carrying and there's no safeguard for the employees. Overall,poorly managed and a general lack of concern or care for the employees that are hard working.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually go out on the casino floor and pay attention to your employees. An occassional pat on the back or some recognition for the good employees there would be nice. Be fair and quit playing favorites and actually listen to your employees.

Worst casino I've worked at

Table Games Dealer (Former Employee)
    Milwaukee, WI

ProsDepending on which department you're in there is flexibility as far as scheduling and some possible raises

ConsClientele is rude, Management in many departments is incompetent, most management does not care about happiness of employees

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great variety, frustrating policies.

ProsGreat variety of creative projects with generous budgets. Talented and collaborative creative team setting. Free parking. Reasonable work hour expectations.

ConsFrustrating policies, regulations and procedures. Upper management has high turnover. Lack of communication between departments leading to confusion in projects. Compensation below local market value.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower professional staff to do the jobs they were hired to do.

This place will cause you to drink, smoke or eat your way into forgetting the pain.

Bingo (Former Employee)
    Milwaukee, WI

ProsThe money or opportunity to gain money will convince you that you are making a great decision. The hours are short unless you're full time. Than I'll pray for you.

ConsYour main concern is working for the casino and taking crap from the "guests". I've seen co-workers threatened with There's a thousand people who'd kill to have this job." Management has laughed in our faces for bringing up things like availability or going to school because we had signed contracts saying we were open at all times.
         The hours fluctuate first shift and you have to be open from 7am to 8pm every single day without fail. If you're sick, or late for even a minute, you get talked to and the fear of being fired is placed in your soul.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat can I tell people who've made it clear that we're replaceable? It would be like talking to a brick wall.

Good place to work assuming you understand what you are signing on for

Table Games Dealer (Current Employee)
    Milwaukee, WI

Pros-- Pay is good considering the job prerequisites
    -- They will train you, and generally want you to succeed
    -- Interesting work, especially if you are a "people person"
    -- Fairly easy job to get if you are a career changer. No one went to school planning to be a casino dealer...
    -- You are learning a trade that will get you a job in any place that has a casino. PBC has a good reputation if you are thinking of moving elsewhere.
    -- Good opportunities to advance if you stick with it and take the job seriously

Cons-- Attendance policy is borderline insane. You WILL show up to work unless you are genuinely too sick to stand for 8 hours. This means there is always some bug going around because people are coming in sick and coughing on you.

-- Negative attitude among your coworkers. Lots of them are young and it's either their first job, or a "temp job" while they figure out what they really want to do. They're not planning to stay, their heart is not in it, and they complain. Try not to let it rub off on you.

-- You need to be able to deal with angry guests who are losing money, without losing your cool or getting depressed over it.

-- When you start, you will get 1am-9am or the 8pm-4am shift probably. Lucky people get 5pm-1am. This schedule is not for everyone, and you are stuck with it for at least 6 months.

-- When you are working, you will be BUSY and actually working. There are lots of rules to get used to. It's not really a "con"...it makes sense considering what the job is, but it's a shock if you had a desk job and some significant portion of your time was not actually spent working.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people some sick days (even if they need a doctor's note to prove it).

Great!

ProsGreat Benefits, lots of opportunity to move jobs within the casino as well.

Cons24/7/365 means you might have to work a lot, and on some days you don't have to, but it's not a huge negative.

OK place to work

Milwaukee, WI

ProsYou can make something to survive. The Paid Time Off is OK. Benefits are dicent. Good for a temporary job.

ConsUnfair promotion policy. Favoritism. Very strict attendance policy. You can get fired in a fly. Company rules are always changing.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people that will do their job because they have the capabilities. Stop promoting people that are not qualified.

Great place to work

Milwaukee, WI

ProsHow could you not like working with a company where you played gamed all day. It was so much fun working here.

ConsYour in a place where some people aren't winning money but loosing so they get grumpy. If you can't handle that then don't apply.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't change a thing. You guys are great and very fair practices. Thank you for the opertunuty to work here.

Don't work here

Milwaukee, WI

ProsYou have more money that you never dreamed of
    You get benefits for being full time
    The work is easy

ConsNot flexible with hours
    little hours to begin with
    Rude customers
    rude coworkers
    feels like high school
    Everyone knows everyone else's business
    Every day is the same
    The work is easy
    You can be fired for almost anything

Advice to Senior ManagementI know the customer is always right but sometimes we like it when you stick up for us. Most people leave because you bend to the customer's wishes. Even when they are in the wrong, and you know it. What's the use of being paid more than anyone else and being treated like a criminal?

Worked for Potawatomi Bingo and Casino? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Potawatomi Bingo and Casino reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Potawatomi Bingo and Casino CEO Mike Goodrich. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Potawatomi Bingo and Casino employees.