Potawatomi Bingo and Casino

Updated October 22, 2014

Mike Goodrich

Pays the bills....

I have been working at Potawatomi Bingo and Casino full-time

Pros

Working with and around as many people as you do on a daily basis has helped with coming out of my shell. If you are a people person you will enjoy meeting and interacting with the guests. If you only have a high school diploma the pay is good. Has gained experience in many areas.

Cons

If looking for a career this is not it. If looking for something to just pay the bills then it works. Open 24 hours a day 365 days a year. So that means horrible hours that are usually always changing plus holidays without holiday pay. The tools and training they claim to have in place are not well executed. Work-life balance does not exist. Learn what you can and then move on as fast as you can before you are there longer then you ever planned on.

We are Family

I have been working at Potawatomi Bingo and Casino part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun to work there some employees and managers are really nice and understanding pay rate is good and get free tickets and discounts to six flags and other events

Cons

cant call in if sick if you have to go to emergency for something serious you would get a occurrence some managers and employees are very unprofessional and its like a big high school all over again

Favoritism and lack of growth with a young management team.

Former Employee - Security Officer in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Potawatomi Bingo and Casino full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

it has good pay and good benefits.

Cons

lack of team work, and honesty.

Its has been a great experience working there I have learned how to be the best worker I can be

I have been working at Potawatomi Bingo and Casino

Pros

They have excellent insurance. Management are very friendly. They offer the best training on games that you would like to learn

Cons

There isn't holiday pay. And you have to work every holiday. They never close. They employee workers that work in the employee lunch room are very rude

I've been there for 15yrs. I'm looking to better myself by obtaining a job with preferably day shift hours with some weekends off.

Can be stressful but keeps you focused.

Current Employee - Cage Cashier in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Cage Cashier in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Fellow Employees are compasionate and understand they are in the same boat as you.
    Pay rate is higher than bank tellers.
    Free tickets to local events, summerfest and statefair.

Cons

Stressful at times when the casino is very busy.
    Being told to have good customer service yet process an endless line of customers who can be very demanding.
    Supervisors want to pull their hair out because of it.

Make policies common knowledge. Everybody seems to have a different idea what is right or wrong.
    Example verifies and closed sign usage.

Great place to work if you want to bang your head against the wall the whole time you're employed there.

I worked at Potawatomi Bingo and Casino full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It's a decent job if you're young and don't have any real future plans.

Cons

Poorly managed. Departments have salary caps that are unrealistic. In the 10+ years that i worked there from the time I was hired until the time I left I actually lost wages! Yet my responsibilities in my position were constantly increasing. Changes get made in the casino that affect the employees wages and management doesn't seem to care. You are constantly told "it's just temporary,you'll see your wages go back up" but they never do. Some supervisors and managers have no business being in the positions that they are do to lack of people skills,common sense and professionalism.There's a general "one does something wrong and everyone gets punished" attitude and people are treated like children. Too many of them play favorites and because of that you have employees who any other company would have fired before their 90 days was up but yet there they seem to always fly under the radar. Because of that the good,hard working employees are picking up their slack,being over worked and under paid and getting burnt out. Before I left cut backs were already being made to compensate for the hotel that is being built. Annual raises were replaced with "be glad you have a job",benefits were being cut or eliminated and PTO accrual was ok, if you were actually allowed to use it. We were always hearing how the casino "fell short" of it's goals and that's why raises were taken away yet then we'd read in the paper how many millions the casino made the year before and all of the wasteful spending they did. Most departments were short handed and so more times than not your PTOs were denied. Policies were constantly being changed,sometimes without notice. Working environment was less than desirable also. Casino is never really "cleaned" so employees are constantly getting sick and since you are only allowed a few call ins you are constantly just rotating the bugs from one employee to another and never really seem to get over an illness. Clientele there can be rude and sometimes questionable and the casino does nothing to protect their employees. There are no metal detectors at any of the doors so anyone can walk onto the premises carrying and there's no safeguard for the employees. Overall,poorly managed and a general lack of concern or care for the employees that are hard working.

Actually go out on the casino floor and pay attention to your employees. An occassional pat on the back or some recognition for the good employees there would be nice. Be fair and quit playing favorites and actually listen to your employees.

Great variety, frustrating policies.

I have been working at Potawatomi Bingo and Casino full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great variety of creative projects with generous budgets. Talented and collaborative creative team setting. Free parking. Reasonable work hour expectations.

Cons

Frustrating policies, regulations and procedures. Upper management has high turnover. Lack of communication between departments leading to confusion in projects. Compensation below local market value.

Empower professional staff to do the jobs they were hired to do.

Worst casino I've worked at

Former Employee - Table Games Dealer in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Table Games Dealer in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Potawatomi Bingo and Casino full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Depending on which department you're in there is flexibility as far as scheduling and some possible raises

Cons

Clientele is rude, Management in many departments is incompetent, most management does not care about happiness of employees

This place will cause you to drink, smoke or eat your way into forgetting the pain.

Former Employee - Bingo in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Bingo in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Potawatomi Bingo and Casino part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The money or opportunity to gain money will convince you that you are making a great decision. The hours are short unless you're full time. Than I'll pray for you.

Cons

Your main concern is working for the casino and taking crap from the "guests". I've seen co-workers threatened with There's a thousand people who'd kill to have this job." Management has laughed in our faces for bringing up things like availability or going to school because we had signed contracts saying we were open at all times.
         The hours fluctuate first shift and you have to be open from 7am to 8pm every single day without fail. If you're sick, or late for even a minute, you get talked to and the fear of being fired is placed in your soul.

What can I tell people who've made it clear that we're replaceable? It would be like talking to a brick wall.

Great!

I have been working at Potawatomi Bingo and Casino

Pros

Great Benefits, lots of opportunity to move jobs within the casino as well.

Cons

24/7/365 means you might have to work a lot, and on some days you don't have to, but it's not a huge negative.