Potbelly Sandwich Works

Potbelly Sandwich Works Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Potbelly Sandwich Works President and CEO Aylwin B. Lewis

Aylwin B. Lewis

Pros
  • Company is full of great people with great attitudes(in 9 reviews)

• Fun work environment, good overall environment with occasional live music(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Ironically upper management is theoretically blind to the lack of integrity(in 10 reviews)

• Extremely low pay with no incentive to work hard because you only see a percentage based pay increase ONCE a year(in 9 reviews)

Certified Trainer

Certified Trainer (Former Employee) Washington, DC

Prosok pay
    work with a few good people
    always work to do

Consmanagers display favoritism
    benefits after working full time after a year
    no control when general manager is off work

Pretty good part time pay

Associate (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsFlexibility and Management were pretty great

ConsPay could be better but overall great place to work and meet people

Veteran employee

Shift Lead (Current Employee) Lombard, IL

Pros- Competitive pay
    - Flexible hours
    - Easy work

Cons- Raises suck
    - A lot of changes

Advice to Senior ManagementMake goals accomplishable without burning out your store staff.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Former worker

Crew Member (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThere is room for advancement

ConsSome of the management have trouble with showing favortism

It's a good company.. just not at my location

Shift Leader (Former Employee)

ProsOffered good pay, benefits, nice amount of time off
    The job itself was easy and I was well trained
    My associates and fellow managers were amazing..

ConsI have encountered many other GMs of other stores within the company and they are all wonderful,, however the one in place at my current location has made every single person in the store hate the job and start looking for new places to work. He is condescending, irrational, and belittles the employees at every chance he can get. He talks to employees like they have no clue what is going on when it's really him that has no idea what is going on.

they suck

General Manager (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

Prosnone they can do anything right

Consthey have the worst District manger

Decent

Certified Trainer (Current Employee) Richardson, TX

ProsGreat food! Awesome atmosphere. High expectations. Hard work at times, but I'm ok with that...and still great food.

ConsNot paid the equivalent of what the expectations are. Don't show interest in moving people up until they need someone, very self involved (as a company). Not the best treatment of "full timers"

Advice to Senior ManagementTake alittle interest in your employees, consider higher pay for the higher expectations you place on us.

not worth it

Associate (Current Employee)

ProsI've met some of the coolest, most down-to-earth coworkers here. Everyone pretty much knew that the management was terrible and there was a certain feeling of togetherness in the eye of the storm.

ConsWhere do I start....

- Long hours with very little pay.
    - The management plays favorites.
    - Not enough people to work, so always understaffed. This is because people continually quit due to the poor management.
    - Very stressful environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementAct like you care even a little about your employees.

Ehhhh

Cashier (Current Employee) Woodbridge, VA

Prosthe people you work with make the experience fun

Conslong hours with no nearly enough pay

Advice to Senior Managementstop making quick changes (like extending store hours) without waiting to see how business is because that affects us as workers when our hours get cut severely

dissatisfied sums it up perfectly

Analyst (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsHalf off sandwiches are a plus if you work for the corporate side. The ease of commuting if you live in Chicago is also a plus. Met some great people while I worked there, unfortunately, the majority of them were not in the department I worked in.

ConsLong hours. expectations to be on call while you're on vacation, nights, weekends (even when you're not at a manager level). Sub par pay compared to anywhere else at least in the finance and accounting group.

One issue was that as business grew, the resources supporting the business shrunk. People would continually leave and they would not be replaced. Or replaced with a temp that would instantly quit once they had a feeling for the departments and the long hours. Employees became more and more dissatisfied. I think the accounting and finance department (according to annual reviews) was the most dissatisfied department in the company and also had by far the highest turnover. The attitude within the department was like a cancer with a strong hatred for their job, which led to consistent turnover. It felt like everyone had an alternate agenda with others in the department and you could not trust anyone to not throw you under a bus. The majority of people spent their time bad mouthing peers, their boss, their bosses boss, or even their bosses boss but sang a completely different song when that person was around.

But the biggest issue I had with Potbelly was middle management. The person that hired me moved to a different department a few months after I was hired and I inherited a new boss. The person that originally hired me was great and I could not think more highly of that person. But as soon as I met my new boss, I began looking for a new job -- I could tell it was not meant to be. This person was only was polite to people when he needed something from them, rude, overbearing, and had absolutely no people skills. I tried to be nice to this person and suck up like the rest of my group did while he was around, but that just wasnt in me.

I wrote a really long review going into details about how terrible the working environment is but decided to delete it all and to sum it up like this: if you accept employment here in the finance department, expect the worst.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe middle manager of the finance group should have no direct employees -- he does not have the skill sets needed to directly manage anyone. He will continually cause turnover just by being himself.

Hire the appropriate amount of staff so employees dont have to work 55+ hour weeks as the job postings suggest. And if they have to work that long, compensate them for it. Instead of being so frugal with salaries/benefits, why not take a look at what all the turnover in that department costs?

Worked for Potbelly Sandwich Works? Contribute to the Community!