Potbelly Sandwich Works

Updated January 28, 2015
2.9

Potbelly Sandwich Works President and CEO Aylwin B. Lewis
Aylwin B. Lewis

Pros
  • Sometimes you have the pleasure of working with really great people (in 10 reviews)

• Fun work environment, good overall environment with occasional live music (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Ironically upper management is theoretically blind to the lack of integrity (in 12 reviews)

• Extremely low pay with no incentive to work hard because you only see a percentage based pay increase ONCE a year (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Potbelly

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Potbelly Sandwich Works full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent Benefits
    work / life balance is ok

Cons

Poor senior leadership
    not willing to spend money on employees or managers
    Work hours far exceed 50 hours a week for managers
    company does not and is not willing to compensate lower level employees (even truly great ones) with an hourly wage far above minimum, but expects them to perform at levels far above minimum wage.
    Managers are punished for high turn over, but are told to "coach" low performers out (fire them), and are not authorized to give high performers raises

annual raises barely keep up with inflation (even at high contributor level),
    does not offer a cost of living increase
    General managers are not fairly compensated
    Culture and values are said to be highly adhered to by all, but leadership truly bends these values to mean what ever they want them to mean

Find a new job. . . other companies pay better and have better benefits.

Continuing to go downhill

Former Employee - Certified Trainer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Certified Trainer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Potbelly Sandwich Works

Pros

Work environment is relaxed, family atmosphere. Time off whenever (obviously unpaid), flexible schedule with school or other job, etc.

Cons

Management beginning to go downhill. Associates are not rewarded for the amount of hard work they do. Original Potbelly values are going down the drain and being overwritten by franchising to make most amount of money. Products are getting cheaper - cutting costs everywhere they can. Never increase pay - unless you threaten to quit.

Value your employees - they are the face of your company.

Low pay Rockefeller center

Former Employee - Crew Member in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Crew Member in New York, NY

I worked at Potbelly Sandwich Works full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They have a 401 k plan the benifts are %50 off food there

Cons

Got paid less than new employees that came in was working there 2 years they don't promote from with in there food handling suck mad flies while peeping the meat for the sandwiches there

Fix how promotions are giving out you know promote from with in

Can do better

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Potbelly Sandwich Works part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Ok I like the whole team work , and how some of the management and employees always are down to help and figure out ways to make sure our customers are always happy. I like that we can pretty much wear anything , and the shirts and hats are pretty neat

Cons

They do not promote!!! You don't get paid good, even if you show everybody. *store management as well as the district management * that you know your stuff you will not get promoted.... The reason I joined the team is because I thou that you guys valued your employees as well as your customers. Boy was I wrong ! I'm all for customers is always right and it's always good to have them happy at pretty much any cost because at the end of the day there the reason for us having a job ... I just don't agree to the fact that as an employee we get paid so little , with all the stuff that we do '& it is a lot' we get low pay , no hours and gosh let you go over 40 hrs !! You will not hear then end of it !!! It's

I think you should ofer more promoting, and actually allow us to get raises or work decent hours ... Especially to the employees that deserve it

Stress City

Current Employee - Restaurant General Manager
    Current Employee - Restaurant General Manager

I have been working at Potbelly Sandwich Works

Pros

Fun, high energy atmosphere, the cultural philosophy is great, worked with great people.

Cons

High Stress Environment with no working balance

awesome

I have been working at Potbelly Sandwich Works

Pros

great managers and lots of fun

Cons

none its cool working there

Great atmosphere but little to no hours

I have been working at Potbelly Sandwich Works

Pros

Great coworkers, nice customers, decent discount, great atmosphere and good values

Cons

They start you out with decent hours and then cut them

Crew Member

Former Employee - Crew Member in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Washington, DC

I worked at Potbelly Sandwich Works

Pros

Some opportunity for growth if you play your cards right.

Cons

That all depends on the management. I was told i would be cross trained and moved up to shift manager. This began until the GM switched regions, and the assistant got his own store. They brought in outside management and no one seemed to care anymore what was offered when i started.

Try to communicate with the former management more effectively before taking over a store.

Run away.

I have been working at Potbelly Sandwich Works full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Coworkers were fun, upbeat and generally cool to be around. The training is pretty straight forward and your trainers do their best to help you understand. The hours were flexible. The food is pretty good and theres a 50% discount if you work during that shift. The stations are easy to pick up and learn. Community involvement. Free soda.

Cons

For the amount of work you do and hours you have to work to even afford food, the pay is atrocious. A big problem is drama and gossip that is often fueled by management. There was a very clique-ish environment. If you suck up and act like a submissive dog, you'll be fine. If you ask for a day off, its as if you've committed murder. Don't worry about getting sick, they'll let you work anyway. My shop was constantly understaffed, which unnecessarily made work more stressful. Shop GM was openly arrogant and rude to employees. Attempted to create a "higher-scale" shop but with an abusive attitude, ending up chasing half the employees away, which resulted in even more understaffed shifts. Would talk down to employees and generally was toxic to the work environment as a whole.

Attempting to get a break is hard. And when you do, the *30* minute break you get for working at least 8 hours often turns into 10 minutes. And don't you DARE attempt to eat something other then Potbellys.

The raises are a joke, except its not funny when you realize thats what they consider a raise. It didn't seem to matter if you were a very hard worker, you'll be pushed around if you aren't buddy buddy with certain people. Oh. And smile. Always smile. Keep smiling even if the building is on fire.

Company values were often preached at meetings but rarely implemented.

More commitment to employee, that is, the actual people who work the long hours on the front line and are the ones who are responsible for implementing the Potbelly Advantage, and less to chasing the almighty dollar would be nice.

Fun, but crazy.

Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Potbelly Sandwich Works part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company is very progressive. The value system teachings are superior.

Cons

Management staff lacks experience and the ability to 'leave their egos at the door.' Management staff continually, due to lack of experience, picks favorites and dabbles in cliquish behavior.

The applied science of age diversity is not in practice, nor recognized as an issue when discussed. Also, co-workers sweat over the food and, at times, are hysterical over correcting customers' chose of language. If a customer prefers to say white bread, we should allow them that privilege. If they want to buy a bag of peppers instead of the jar, we should allow them that privilege.

Potbelly Sandwich Works Photos