Potbelly Sandwich Works

Updated September 19, 2014
2.8

Potbelly Sandwich Works President and CEO Aylwin B. Lewis
Aylwin B. Lewis

Pros
  • Company is full of great people with great attitudes (in 9 reviews)

• Fun work environment, good overall environment with occasional live music (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Ironically upper management is theoretically blind to the lack of integrity (in 10 reviews)

• Extremely low pay with no incentive to work hard because you only see a percentage based pay increase ONCE a year (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place

Former Employee - Associate  in  Glendale, WI
    Former Employee - Associate in Glendale, WI

I worked at Potbelly Sandwich Works part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great atmosphere and fun people to work with.

Cons

Better wages a lot of the work that needed to be done is worth more than 7.25

Quitting was the best decision of my life

Former Employee - Shift Lead
    Former Employee - Shift Lead

I worked at Potbelly Sandwich Works full-time for more than a year

Pros

-If you work hard and show interest and put in the hours, you'll get promoted
    -Made it to shift lead fro associate in a short amount of time
    -Grew as a person and a worker
    -Good training program
    -Flexible scheduling for associates
    -Probably a good first job

Cons

-Shift leads are never allowed to take time off, always understaffed, staff incredibly stressed due to high sales goals but not enough staff and no one is allowed to go overtime.
    -Not enough pay for the amount of work.
    -High turnover rates
    -High school cliquish environnment
    -Miserable job means you go home miserable
    -Unprofessional attitude from GM- possibly just my store.
    -Nobody was ever fired- and that can be a bad thing when they should be for missing work, harrassing customers and female coworkers, giving attitude to managers.
    -Good luck getting a transfer unless you threaten to quit
    -Not allowed to go home even if you're sick
    -Certain employees favored over others
    -work/life balance is horrible. Never had time for anything

Great Potential, but ultimately not worth it.

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Potbelly Sandwich Works full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Love the upbeat atmosphere and having a great time making people happy. Certainly a lot of potential for personal growth. Teamwork is great and it can really foster a family environment.

Cons

Profit is more important to Potbelly than people. Ultimately, you are judged on results (more specifically how much profit you bring in) over actual performance. If you make the company money, they love you. If things aren't going well despite working 60 hours a week, they will toss you to the curb. Expect to be stretched thin on management and stressed out. They are struggling with growth, as there are not enough people to fill their positions in new shops and they are not concerned with making their employees happy, which is leading to turnover. Many jobs are available for similar compensation and much less work and stress.

Invest in people. Unhappy and overworked managers make for unhappy employees in general and it snowballs into terrible turnover for the whole company. You cannot have a growing company and have this high of turnover. Many managers shrug off turnover as "no big deal" and it needs to be taken much more seriously. Care for your people, and they will care for you.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

its a great place as a individual to start his work experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Potbelly Sandwich Works part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

to better your leadership and customer service skills

Cons

it can be very tedious and demanding in some ways but manageable

maybe get involve more with associate and trainer to give them incentives to want to work

Ok

I worked at Potbelly Sandwich Works full-time

Pros

Very very laid back.
    People are nice.

Cons

too many politics at work

A wonderful place to learn how I work on a team and improve my customer service skills

I have been working at Potbelly Sandwich Works

Pros

The people that work at potbelly are really great and fun loving so the energy is usually very positive to work in

Cons

There are some things that could be improved upon on a higher level

Invest more upfront on your equipment. The food is great and we pay more for the premium product but invest in little things, better paper towel holders toilet paper dispensers, and stations that don't fall apart.

Great Culture, Poor Leadership

I have been working at Potbelly Sandwich Works

Pros

The work environment is great for a retail job. If you have a good work ethic, there is room for advancement in the company.

Cons

The Potbelly Advantage is poorly executed at some levels. I also feel the company is trying to expand too fast.

I feel the company needs to be more selective in it's hiring process.

A job where nothing you do is ever good enough.

Former Employee - Shift Leader  in  College Park, MD
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in College Park, MD

I worked at Potbelly Sandwich Works full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The fellow employees are generally very positive, helpful, and willing to listen to what you have to say. The job is simple, provided you are given access to all necessary resources. It's easy to adjust your schedule provided you are not a manager.

Cons

The pay is low. The upper management will rarely listen to any issues you may have. District managers will also drag their feet on hiring store management so that the store tend to be understaffed and available managers have to work extra hours. Very little positive or constructive feedback is given by managers. Also, there is a focus on brand values such as accountability but higher level management are rarely ever held to account for their actions, or lack thereof.

Please hire enough management staff for individual stores so that the management staff at those store isn't constantly overwhelmed by everything that needs to get done with noone to do it.

Going crazy

Current Employee - Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Potbelly Sandwich Works part-time for more than a year

Pros

Some fun coworkers
    company has good values

Cons

Most of the management don't respect the feelings, and rights of their workers.
    Standing next to a hot oven, and breathing in smoke from the oven. Management wont hold themselves accountable when a mistake is made or when they are violating the rights of their employees.Management also disciplines the wrong people for the wrong things. An example of this would be they let coworkers of mine have their hair down, but get mad at me when I ask to get water or use the bathroom. I have offered solutions to help improve my specific shop, but they don't listen. They also only promote favorites regardless of work ethic. Only received a raise of 11 cents an hour, and that is supposed to be good. District manager insulted me, and didn't take my concerns seriously.

Respect your employees, listen to them, and work with them everyday to improve. Remember positive enforcement works better than blatantly insulting people.

I had an excellent experience at this company

Former Employee - Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Potbelly Sandwich Works part-time for more than a year

Pros

The hours were very flexible. I like the dedication to customer service that the company promotes. I really enjoyed my team and the customers.This is a great place to start if you are a current student or even a recent graduate.

Cons

Depending on your supervisor advancing to new opportunities can be rapid or very slow. Also, depending on your supervisor labor is not always equally distributed.

Worked for Potbelly Sandwich Works? Contribute to the Community!