Potomac Fusion

Updated May 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Russell Richardson

Great company, good perks, spoken with passion

Aberdeen, MD

Pros-Straight talking middle tier managers
    -Benefits are actually decent and not as bad as others may think (BC over UHC any day)
    -People are friendly
    -The ability to work and have fun doing it
    -Exec. speak with passion about employees
    -Offices and not cubes in smaller outposts, snacks
    -Employees get a lot of luxury
    -Corporate culture is nice
    -Flex hours
    -Innovation encouraged for production
    -Trust in employees to do great things
    -Company fights to retain employees like no other I've ever seen
    -Company learns and implements appropriately

Cons-losing contracts due to cut backs and competition
    -still no concrete foundation for blue print framework
    -it's govt. work, at the whims of Congress

Advice to Senior Management-Just be careful with claiming victory before getting through the woods

Ambivalence to the employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCo-workers are generally nice, helpful and great to work with

ConsManagement leaves a bit to be desired

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more straightforward with all employees.

Great, but slightly inconstant

Austin, TX

ProsThe work is interesting and cutting edge, compensation is reasonable, free snacks and drinks are provided, weekly breakfast or lunch is brought in, and periodic small parties or catered working lunches.

ConsThe vagaries of the contracting world make it difficult to retain top talent when times are tough. After merging with Sotera, the large corporate culture has overwhelmed the original friendly atmosphere to some extent.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work but future unknown with government sequestration

Austin, TX

ProsThey bring in intelligent people who are top notch. The work/life balance is the best I've ever experienced as government contractors must be paid for all hours worked (i.e. no unpaid overtime here :) Culture at the Austin branch is fun and creative. Most of the work is interesting and you get to use latest technologies most of the time.

ConsYou have to get/keep a security clearance which is an intrusive experience. Sadly, there have been big cuts in programs recently because of sequestration. The future outlook (Career Opportunities) is sadly no longer as bright as it was once.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work and good luck in the future

Merger with Sotera was not smooth.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey have free coffee and other refreshments.

ConsProjects could be managed better.

Intern: Interesting work at first, but company has declined in recent years

Software Engineer Intern (Former Employee)
    Chantilly, VA

ProsSome very interesting/unique work - must search hard, be lucky, and/or know people to get on those projects

Generally nice/approachable management

ConsNon-existent culture

Pay is not nearly enough for interns

Mediocre benefits for full time

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease benefits and pay. Make sure interns have mentors and real work to do, or most won't do anything at all

Great Place to Work for Children

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsInteresting problems and research. PFI may get you a security clearance. Decent location. Little or no travel. Nice offices - no cubes.

ConsOnly interested in promoting/hiring young (under 35) engineers. Older employees are sidelined. Management allows the inmates to run the asylum, permitting a "Whatever he says goes", regardless of technologic reasoning.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-examine your choices for project/tech leads. They are fumbling the ball and hurting your business. Most of your employees are miserable, but too afraid to broach the issue.

A great experience for learning with good ties to the government sector

Developer (Current Employee)
    Chantilly, VA

ProsThis job is cutting edge for a technology professional. The amount that you learn at this company is the best I have ever seen. This rivals a job at Google for experience (in my opinion). The company is large and it doesn't seem to stop growing. The benefits are decent and very fair and they offer learning programs that help you advance in your field of study.

ConsThe one problem I have noted thus far in my career at Potomac Fusion is the unsustainable growth rate. The exponential grown is due to the astounding job that the people are doing, which makes it hard for the processes to keep up with the product. However, this does allow for better growth within the company.

Growing small company with a relaxed atmosphere

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsPFI has a much more relaxed atmosphere than larger defense contractors I've worked for. Jeans and tee shirts are pretty much normal attire and there are a lot of fun perks like sodas, coffee machines, and trips to local bars and amusement parks. They also are very accommodating with flex time and will allow you to occasionally telecommute. You can choose any computer you want (win, osx, linux) and they're great about giving you whatever additional tools you need to do your job.

ConsPFI was recently bought by a larger defense contractor and its a little bit unclear how much of the small company attitude will survive. The company's lack of top-down structure can sometimes make it unclear what you need to do to progress in your career.

Advice to Senior ManagementPreserve the fun small company atmosphere PFI has cultivated and standardize / publicize requirements for progressing in within the company.

Worked for Potomac Fusion? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Potomac Fusion reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Potomac Fusion CEO Russell Richardson. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Potomac Fusion employees.