Pottery Barn

Pottery Barn Reviews

Updated Jul 3, 2014

Pottery Barn President Laura J. Alber

Laura J. Alber

Pros:
  • "Great discount on some nice merchandise in all WS brands, even catalog purchases"
    in 21 reviews
  • "The environment is super nice, product is easy to stand behind & the 40% employee discount is awesome"
    in 18 reviews
Cons:
  • "Pay is low, hours posted just a few days before scheduled to work so hard to plan other non work appts and activities"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Mean spirited Prima Donnas in upper Management foster a culture of rudeness and disrespect"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Design specialists need to be appreciated $$$/ position requires a ton of work for inferior pay

Design Studio Specialist (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsFun and creative job
    Loved working at the store and going to homes.to succeed here you absolutely must be great at multitasking.

ConsThe job balance was the problem here. No realistic time given to complete design projects.upper management expectation is for you to complete customer projects without time to complete them. Management does not comprehend the scope of this position because they have never done the job themselves .customer expectation is high for a "free service" . Training for this position is weak. Tools given to complete the job are inferior and archaic technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to do the job yourself from beginning to end so that you will see the amount of time required to do this job. Try to see the gift your employees have and move them into leadership positions rather than hiring from outside the company.

Could be a great place without the micromanagement.

Tysons Corner, VA

ProsThe pay is decent for what you are doing, compared to other similar retail stores. A lot of employee attention and consideration, great about making sure you are given what is owed. Good training.

ConsThree managers at the store I worked at, two of which working at the same time. This lead to a LOT of micromanaging. The managers could never agree on what task you are to complete, manager A says do this while the other manager says do that.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain store managers to work together, not to each go their own separate way in instructing staff what to do.

Overworked and underpaid

San Francisco, CA

ProsTeam structure and processes are pretty solid and the product is top quality and inspirational.

ConsOver worked, underpaid, high expectations. The corporate politics are ridiculous at times. Very stressful work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp foster and an environment with a better work/personal life balance.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Low low wages

Design Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsAttractive surroundings to work in.
    Nice co workers.
    Good employee discount IF you make enough income elsewhere to afford Pottery Barn prices which are still high even with the discount.

ConsLow, low, low wages. (New hires at In & Out Burgers make more per hour!) Another one of those companies that has no real interest in their retail employees making a decent wage and only offers slightly above minimum wage and few full time positions so can escape paying benefits. PB offers free design services but pays their design specialists who provide those skills less than a tenth of what those design services cost in the marketplace. Clueless, greedy, selfish decision makers at corporate HQ don't care and will only raise wages when forced to by upcoming minimum wage increase laws. Pathetic attitude.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay a decent wage.

Pottery Barn was a great place to work for; the management was well-trained and they had a good business model.

Orland Park, IL

ProsI worked in the stock room, so my hours were were pretty flexible and they never cut my hours. I felt that the management was supportive and they were really happy to help me when I had a question. They always kept me busy.

ConsIf you work in the stock room, it's difficult because you have to unpack and put away a lot of heavy objects. It's not a good job for someone who is small, like me, but the benefit was that we had a guy working there.

great part time job

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Bellevue, WA

Prosunderstanding general manager, flexible hours

Conslow pay, creates competition even when pay is not on commission

Great!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat product, great discount and great team atmosphere

ConsThe DM's are not invested in the staff at all, and not interested at all in promoting from within. Training in general is scarce.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly folks, the best way to keep team morale is to promote from within. There is no work/life balance at all for management.

Management by abuse and umiliation

Manager - HQ (Former Employee)

ProsDiscount. A few decent colleagues.
    After working here everything will feel like heaven

ConsMean spirited Prima Donnas in upper Management foster a culture of rudeness and disrespect.
    no work life balance, archaic systems, nepotistic, overworked, unrecognized, only these who can master the art of flattery will succeed.

Advice to Senior ManagementHopeless

Not an ideal job for an interior designer.

Design Specialist (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThe people are generally fun and nice and the discount is awesome. As a part-time employee, it's pretty flexible with taking time off.

ConsGet the sense that the company doesn't really care about it's part-time employees. As a Design Specialist, you are expected to take on an immense work-load for very little compensation. The hourly pay is not an adequate compensation for the hours of time and consideration and input required for "In-Home" consultations. The prizes given for hitting huge sales marks are not an incentive for the effort required. Also, as an Interior Designer it is frustrating to have your field minimized to a free service, resulting in no guarantee that your work get the sale or pay-off.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease consider some minimum purchase for design services. Also, a bonus at the end of the year would be much more appreciated and incentivizing than a tote bag or another ipad.

Love the job, hate the workplace...

Indianapolis, IN

ProsGreat co-workers, fast paced, fun.

ConsManagement, extremely low pay, no room for advancement, VERY few full time positions - only part-time or seasonal, no gender equality.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee cons above.

Worked for Pottery Barn? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pottery Barn reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Pottery Barn CEO Laura J. Alber. All 195 reviews posted anonymously by Pottery Barn employees.