Pottery Barn

Pottery Barn Reviews

Updated Jul 3, 2014

Pottery Barn President Laura J. Alber

Laura J. Alber

Pros:
  • "Great discount on some nice merchandise in all WS brands, even catalog purchases"
    in 21 reviews
  • "The environment is super nice, product is easy to stand behind & the 40% employee discount is awesome"
    in 18 reviews
Cons:
  • "Pay is low, hours posted just a few days before scheduled to work so hard to plan other non work appts and activities"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Mean spirited Prima Donnas in upper Management foster a culture of rudeness and disrespect"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Selling overpriced imported products.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Franklin, TN

ProsAlways having the most up to date decorating ideas and receiving a 40% discount

ConsPeople now a days feel so entitled.

Flexible hours, although, that comes along with horrible pay, no commission, no incentive to succeed, and no benefits!

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsFlexible hours. Great people to work with, depending on the store.

ConsNo commission
    No recognition for success or overarching sales
    No benefits (in fact, the company has refused to allow part-time workers since working 32 hours a week entails benefits. Therefore, employees are contained as a "casual" worker, which basically means your hours are not steady, nor will you receive any form of benefits).

Advice to Senior ManagementThis advice is not for store managers, but for corporate managers all around the country.
    Consider giving your employees incentives to work harder at a job they already do so well in.
    Consider respecting the employee's efforts, as it is the employee who helps the company run on its million-dollar net worth.
    Consider promoting great workers or giving adequate raises according to work ethic and merit.

Although the company preaches that they are "People First", they are far from it.

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsMost coworkers are great to work with.

ConsI was going to list our discount as a pro, but that was just decreased recently. The entire corporate structure is fractured from top all the way down. The "measurables" that each position is held accountable to is unachievable. Internally, the training for new hires is innsufficient. The rate of pay is not consistent with cost of living. The Design Program was suppose to move the company in a new direction. Unfortunately, all it has done is cause more payroll issues. Cutting sales associates hours only leads to poor service! As a consumer, if I has to deal with some of the issues Pottery Barn's customers deal with, I would never shop here again.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease try and practice what you preach! Get out in the field more and see how your business is being run. Look at your Regional/District and General Managers. Are they really setting the best example for your business??? Try to show appreciation for the tenured associates who have dedicated years to this company. Those are the people who have tried to grow your business. Stop taking from your people and take some ownership!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun place to work with talented and creative co-workers

Stock Associate (Current Employee)
    Jacksonville, FL

ProsGenerous employee discount. Energetic, creative, visually appealing work atmosphere.

ConsDecrease in benefits over the years. Fewer minutes for breaks, reduced employee discount on sale merchandise, no background music in stockroom.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to suggestions from loyal hardworking employees. Implement accurate performance measurements.

Great cpany

ProsGreat people to work with, get to be innovative and amazing product. Discount is generous.

ConsIf you don't like being empowered and making decisions, might make you crazy. Lots to juggle and can be a lot to manage at times

Good company I work for part time or full time. Typical retail job.

New York, NY

ProsThe employee discounts are great with this company. Loved my co-workers and the atmosphere at the store. Manager would always get our schedule to use 2 weeks out so we could have a life outside of the store.

ConsIt is very busy during the holidays and can get stressful for everyone working at the store. The shipments of ornaments that come in are sometimes broken making it hard for the associates.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

Excellent place to work.

Bellevue, WA

ProsGreat people. At the location I worked everyone I worked with was pretty much awesome. The GM is a great guy who really went out of his way to help work with my schedule. I would absolutely work there again.

ConsFor stock having to wake up at like 5 am to get to work on time for trucks sucked but that's kinda how all retail stock positions work when there are deliveries.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep being awesome =-D

Not Bad

ProsGood Work/Life Balance, Nice offices, Flexible schedule

ConsRaises are minimal amounts, Seniority is very apparent, Favoritism among management

Good Company, too much politics and corporate getting in the way

ASM (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsDiscount, Day goes by quickly, energetic and friendly employees. Good schedule . Multi-tasking is needed.

ConsSalary and benefits are decent, too much drama. Not enough training or support.

Advice to Senior ManagementTRAIN EMPLOYEES, TOO MUCH SUCKING UP to Upper Management. Need to support and train employees so you can hire within the company

Didn't have any troubles and the associates were pleasant

Stock Associate (Former Employee)

ProsThe associates were very nice. All floor sale associates were helpful when I first started and they were very patient.

ConsI had almost zero training when the started me. I was yelled at by some managers for no knowing how to do stuff even though I had no prior knowledge of it.

Worked for Pottery Barn? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pottery Barn reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Pottery Barn CEO Laura J. Alber. All 195 reviews posted anonymously by Pottery Barn employees.