Pottery Barn Reviews

Updated October 27, 2014
2.9

Pottery Barn President Laura J. Alber
Laura J. Alber

Pros
  • Great discount on some nice merchandise in all WS brands, even catalog purchases (in 26 reviews)

• The environment is super nice, product is easy to stand behind & the 40% employee discount is awesome (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Store Managers are treated with such disrespect by upper Management (in 20 reviews)

• low pay, creates competition even when pay is not on commission (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

The "Mantra" of "People First" of this company no longer exists.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Pottery Barn full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great discount even though now it has changed (another thing taken away from the associates so that may be really a "Con". Fairly flexible with giving time off when needed. Wonderful team with a willingness to pitch in.

Cons

Too much expecation is put on the associates and setting standards that are sure to make the associates fail.. There is a lot of burnout. Hours are based on entire staffing including those who go on in home appointments leaving managers understaffed in the stores to service the customers properly. It is no longer humanly poosible to give "World Class Service" the way it shoudl be and was. Very sad to see this component of what Pottery Barn used to be known for being so diluted as well as the "People First" culture virtually kicked to the wayside. Used to be a great place to work for but not anymore.

The original CEO believed that if you take care of your staff, well then your staff will take care of you and do what you need to be done in order to be successful. What the original culture of "People First" was really about worked. The new leadership in place now need to revisit that philosophy and read "Howard's Rules" on a daily basis, most especially #2 and #4. Perhaps Ms. Alber has forgotten that aspect of the business that Mr. Lester worked so hard to instill into the company. He was a man of great vision. Mis. Alber has lost sight of that vision. Yes, you want to make the shareholders happy and grow and be financially successful but if the people who work for you aren't happy they won't do a good job.

Very good place to work

Former Employee - Sales Association in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Sales Association in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Pottery Barn part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I started working as a sales associate at Pottery Barn in Huntsville, AL my senior year of high school. The starting pay was several dollars above minimum wage, the managers were nice to work with, and it was a great experience. Employees also get 40% discounts at all Williams Sonoma brands, which is an unbelievable value. I have since completed college and started a corporate career, but truly loved the two years I worked at Pottery Barn.

Cons

I can't think of any negatives, but I only worked there for 2 years as a part time sales associate.

None

A wonderful place to build your career......

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at Pottery Barn full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I love my job. This is an amazing place to build a career. I've learned so much during my time at Pottery Barn. The leadership in our company, from CEO down, are truly invested in our people. They consistently reiterate how important it is to stay connected to our teams and support our people. I've been in retail for many years and worked for several very large companies, and I have to honestly say that the culture here is like no other company I've been at. It's a tribute to our senior leadership that as WSI has grown over the years, it's been able to hold on to the People First culture that is a cornerstone of our company. Over the years here, I've received a tremendous amount of development, both formal and informal, and truly feel invested in. I've received more responsibility and been recognized for my hard work. One of the best things about working here is who I get to work with!! We have so many tenured associates that love what they do and love working with each other. I get to lead a great group of people who are very talented and FUN!! I also love the product we get to work with, and our great customers. It's very rewarding knowing that we are helping people "make memories". Whether it's helping them furnish their first home, or creating the perfect Thanksgiving dinner. This a great place to work, have fun and grow!!

Cons

Retail is retail and it's hard work!! We offer so many products in so many categories that coming in from the outside it can be daunting to learn it all! The great thing is that all of us here know that and help each other and our new assoicates out. You have to be patient with yourself when first joining us - but you will succeed! Of course we would all love to have the latest and greatest in technology as well, and sometimes it feels like we can't get it fast enough, but I know that our senior leaders are working on this as fast as they can. Everyone in retail is in the technology race.

My advice would be to keep investing in our people. I think we're doing a great job and need to keep it up. And of course keeping our People First culture alive and well is and will always be top priority. It is what makes WSI a great place to work and grow.

Hard work - low pay

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Pottery Barn part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great general manager and co-workers. Nice line and discount.

Cons

Sales expectations for sales associates high with no rewards. $11-$12 per hour and no commission. Don't need a $5 Starbucks card for high sales, thank you.

Many returns from customers and poor quality / craftmanship on much of furniture and decor.

Pay employees a MINIMUM of $15 per hour

It was a great experience, I learned and grew so much there in the field of customer service and warehouse.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative/Warehouse Clerk in Manhattan Beach, CA

I have been working at Pottery Barn as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed coming to work everyday, the clients, coworkers, and managers were all a pleasure to be around and work with on a daily basis.

Cons

In the time I was there I really didn't get to experience any negatives vibes at all.

A truly great place to work

Current Employee - Senior District Manager
    Current Employee - Senior District Manager

I have been working at Pottery Barn full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The reason I have worked for this organization for so many years is the talent, the service (both internally and externally), and the desire for excellence in all that our company does. I have the honor of working with, what I think, are the absolute best teams in retail. From our sales and stock teams, to our design teams, to our leadership teams, our field organization is comprised with talented, passionate, dedicated individuals. We are led by an Executive team and supported by a Corporate team that is extremely innovative, supportive and relentless in their pursuit of excellence in service, in merchandising, and ultimately in our financial performance. This is not an organization for transient, short term thinkers. You must be open to direct feedback, be innovative at both a micro and macro level, have the ability to connect short term reasoning to long-term results, and be truly committed to the organization.

Cons

Technology is an opportunity for our organization. While our leadership team has acknowledged this fact, we do have some fairly large outages that will need to be addressed in the coming months/years to ensure we continue to support teams in offering the absolute best service possible.

While our furniture demand is extremely exciting, our supply has struggled to keep up while maintaining the timeliness to the guest that we strive to deliver. On a good note, this has allowed our organization to hire additional headcount within our supply chain; we do have some catching up to do to ensure we stay competitive.

Please keep asking what teams need. We appreciate your openness and willingness to listen. The more you ask, the more you will hear and therefore the better off we will be. Continue to be very strategic with resource allocation. With our business trend continuing to evolve, it will be essential that we continue to think differently on how and why resources are allocated the way they are. Finally, as the size of our organization grows, it will be imperative that we come up with creative ways to ensure all Associates are informed of the great things happening across all brands and across all functions. We have so much to be proud of both internally and externally. We need to ensure we are communicating those milestones and celebrating with our Associates.

Ok

I have been working at Pottery Barn full-time

Pros

you get to Work around pretty things

Cons

low pay for physical work

I enjoy working for Pottery Barn, every single day!

I have been working at Pottery Barn full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People 1st Culture, a place where you can be an entreprenaur, a place you can bring your best self every day, a place where our customers inspires us! We have amazing people that choose to work for our Brand! The product, the astetic, our beautiful stores!

Cons

The workload can be much payroll structure supports.
    The technology needs to be updated.
    We need to be better at delivering our product to our customers.

Find a way to really know when we disappoint a customer and find a way to resolv or offer the product in a time frame the customer expects. Allow stores to have the full assortment of product in one easy way to order for the customer.

Great Ambiance, Room for advancement, Love it

Current Employee - Holliday Coordinator in Novi, MI
    Current Employee - Holliday Coordinator in Novi, MI

I have been working at Pottery Barn part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Love the product and my coworkers
    Everybody is willing to help
    Flexible Schedule

Cons

Working week end, lots of pressure, you have to be active for hours during the day

More meetings are required so you can listen to employees concern
    Internal promotion

Stock Assoc

Former Employee - Stock Associate
    Former Employee - Stock Associate

I worked at Pottery Barn full-time

Pros

Great hours, easy to ask for time off if needed it, management great to work with

Cons

Not enough room for raises/advancement. Over priced ,merchandise for the quality of product selling.