Pottery Barn

www.potterybarn.com
Employer Engaged

pottery barn

I have been working at Pottery Barn full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cool product, affordable prices and nice displays. I work with a couple of great people, so I love coming to work and working with them. Close to work and flexible schedules.

Cons

Very busy environment, fast paced. Customers always complain and phone never stops ringing. They don't pay enough for all the hard work people put in. Many hard workers go unnoticed for years. Not a sustainable company at all. Paper is wasted too much.

Higher pay should be a priority.

Merchandising

Current Employee - Merchandising in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Merchandising in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pottery Barn full-time

Pros

Discount
    Opportunity for growth (if you're willing to wait 3-5 yeas for each potential promotion and 60-70+ hours a week)
    Potential opportunities to travel
    Involvement in product design

Cons

The executive team treats the merchandising team like minions and monkeys. Their words and attitude are demeaning and disrespectful and don't realize, or maybe simply don't care, about the implications of this and their decisions when they "change their mind" about something. Overall message from executive team is GROW GROW GROW, oh but no we're not going to help you with additional head count to help.
    Overworked, underpaid, unappreciated.

Realize that everyone is leaving the company for the same reason. Listen to what your team has been trying to tell you for the past couple of years and maybe people will be excited to work for Pottery Barn again and you'll be close to fully staffed.
    OR, if you're going to tell (not ask) someone they need to grow their department you should financially compensate the appropriately for working longer hours.

The brand is great but Albuquerque is a very inadequate place to live and work

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Pottery Barn part-time

Pros

Great brand. Great General Manager.

Cons

Challenging work environment, the employees do not support one another nor the brand

Promote Manulita Quintana and fire the existing management staff. They do not support the company

The "Mantra" of "People First" of this company no longer exists.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Pottery Barn full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great discount even though now it has changed (another thing taken away from the associates so that may be really a "Con". Fairly flexible with giving time off when needed. Wonderful team with a willingness to pitch in.

Cons

Too much expecation is put on the associates and setting standards that are sure to make the associates fail.. There is a lot of burnout. Hours are based on entire staffing including those who go on in home appointments leaving managers understaffed in the stores to service the customers properly. It is no longer humanly poosible to give "World Class Service" the way it shoudl be and was. Very sad to see this component of what Pottery Barn used to be known for being so diluted as well as the "People First" culture virtually kicked to the wayside. Used to be a great place to work for but not anymore.

The original CEO believed that if you take care of your staff, well then your staff will take care of you and do what you need to be done in order to be successful. What the original culture of "People First" was really about worked. The new leadership in place now need to revisit that philosophy and read "Howard's Rules" on a daily basis, most especially #2 and #4. Perhaps Ms. Alber has forgotten that aspect of the business that Mr. Lester worked so hard to instill into the company. He was a man of great vision. Mis. Alber has lost sight of that vision. Yes, you want to make the shareholders happy and grow and be financially successful but if the people who work for you aren't happy they won't do a good job.

retail

Former Employee - Associate Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Associate Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Pottery Barn full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

discount only good thing, don't have anything else

Cons

long hours, not mobility, horrible management

Gained Experience (Bad Experience)

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Gaffney, SC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Gaffney, SC

I worked at Pottery Barn part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some (few) of my coworkers were absolutely wonderful, hardworking, and friendly.
    Great Discount
    Great opportunity to buy discounted items (what was left after management and "preferred" associates ravaged through)

Cons

Unprofessional Management
    Many associates, especially stock associates, were treated like animals
    Very low level of professionalism (personal attacks, foul and vulgar language, excessive profanity)
    No respect from management for personal/private issues
    Extreme favoritism toward certain employees and certain regular shoppers

Store management should be restaffed.
    To upper management: this particular store needs to be reviewed extensively.
    HR would be mortified.
    Additionally, profitability is being threatened by internal sales and mismanagement of stock.

Very good place to work

Former Employee - Sales Association in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Sales Association in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Pottery Barn part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I started working as a sales associate at Pottery Barn in Huntsville, AL my senior year of high school. The starting pay was several dollars above minimum wage, the managers were nice to work with, and it was a great experience. Employees also get 40% discounts at all Williams Sonoma brands, which is an unbelievable value. I have since completed college and started a corporate career, but truly loved the two years I worked at Pottery Barn.

Cons

I can't think of any negatives, but I only worked there for 2 years as a part time sales associate.

None

District Manager

Current Employee - District Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - District Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pottery Barn full-time (less than a year)

Pros

As a new DM, I have found this company to be supportive and appreciative of the Associates and employees at all levels. Upper management stays connected to the store employees and the customer. Often in retail, top leaders remove themselves from those who drive results and from the customer, well not here. All levels of management care deeply and are open to hearing how they can improve. Very humble leaders who work hard to support their teams. Fantastic people, a true family. Everyone wants each other to succeed.

Cons

It is hard work but when you love what you do, have a fantastic supportive boss it's not work at all!

"Pottery Barn - it sounds good but it is not"

Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at Pottery Barn full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Brand with high name recognition. Hard working and committed field leaders and associates that want to be successful.

Cons

The field does not trust our Senior Leadership team, CEO or President. Integrity issues grounded in fear make for a toxic environment. You are only as good as your last months results. When you are on top you can do no wrong but beware if you are struggling... you will be quickly discarded. Aggressive and degrading coaching delivered by Senior Leaders on our sales floor in front of associates and customers. We make commitments we do not keep. It is not true we have low turnover - that is internal marketing. We have high turnover and its on the rise. Even the BEST leaders are looking to leave. The higher pay rates work temporarily but long term it just isn't worth selling of your soul to align with the dishonesty and manipulation. Our former CEO and Founder would be so disappointed how his legacy has been destroyed in just a few short years. The H.L and People First awards have nothing to do with being "People First" or his rules.

Not sure management takes advice but here it goes...It is the almighty dollar that guides every move and decision at ANY cost. It doesn't HAVE to be this way - it IS a choice. Give up one years bonus and put it into the stores payroll like other CEO's have done over these past years - you won't miss another million. Please do not host field GM calls and gloat about how profitable we are after we just worked 65 hours trying to execute a floor set on no payroll. The GM's feel it is disrespectful & make assumptions about this lack of judgement. Please don't visit one store during the holiday and share that you didn't think the guests minded waiting in line. They DO mind waiting just like you would. This reinforces the opinion that you are far removed from our reality not to mention the customers experience. Ask Senior Leaders to discontinue "encouraging" us to post positive comments on Glass Door. Fix the issues and we won't have to mislead others to join us. Thank you.

A wonderful place to build your career......

Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at Pottery Barn full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I love my job. This is an amazing place to build a career. I've learned so much during my time at Pottery Barn. The leadership in our company, from CEO down, are truly invested in our people. They consistently reiterate how important it is to stay connected to our teams and support our people. I've been in retail for many years and worked for several very large companies, and I have to honestly say that the culture here is like no other company I've been at. It's a tribute to our senior leadership that as WSI has grown over the years, it's been able to hold on to the People First culture that is a cornerstone of our company. Over the years here, I've received a tremendous amount of development, both formal and informal, and truly feel invested in. I've received more responsibility and been recognized for my hard work. One of the best things about working here is who I get to work with!! We have so many tenured associates that love what they do and love working with each other. I get to lead a great group of people who are very talented and FUN!! I also love the product we get to work with, and our great customers. It's very rewarding knowing that we are helping people "make memories". Whether it's helping them furnish their first home, or creating the perfect Thanksgiving dinner. This a great place to work, have fun and grow!!

Cons

Retail is retail and it's hard work!! We offer so many products in so many categories that coming in from the outside it can be daunting to learn it all! The great thing is that all of us here know that and help each other and our new assoicates out. You have to be patient with yourself when first joining us - but you will succeed! Of course we would all love to have the latest and greatest in technology as well, and sometimes it feels like we can't get it fast enough, but I know that our senior leaders are working on this as fast as they can. Everyone in retail is in the technology race.

My advice would be to keep investing in our people. I think we're doing a great job and need to keep it up. And of course keeping our People First culture alive and well is and will always be top priority. It is what makes WSI a great place to work and grow.