Poway USD - San Diego

Updated September 16, 2014
Updated September 16, 2014
3.6

CEO

Great district with a board, district office, and Union working together

I have been working at Poway USD - San Diego

Pros

Student learning is really at the forefront of the decision-making process. From district office to community and all stakeholders in between, the common goal is focused on what's best for student achievement.

Cons

With a community of educators as highly motivated and accustomed to success as Poway's, this is no district to work in if looking for a free ride. The district is not immune to those educators entirely, whether as teachers or administrators, but they are a poor fit, and I doubt those that aren't up to par with the rest take much joy in getting by easy.

Keep the focus on student learning and involve everyone in the decision-making process. Practice transparency at every site, meeting, etc.

Although it was a good experience, management could have been better.

Current Employee - Water Safety Instructor in Poway, CA
    Current Employee - Water Safety Instructor in Poway, CA

I have been working at Poway USD - San Diego part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Time off was easy to obtain, great experience working with children, and laid back feel in the aquatics department.

Cons

Management was awful, very political, and no one recieved the hours they wanted.

Keeping an even temper, putting in your full 8 hours, and increasing morale.

I have a positive experience working as a Mathematics Substitute teacher.

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Poway, CA
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Poway, CA

I have been working at Poway USD - San Diego part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I am able to interact with young students, and so my best to prepare them in mathematics for college. My classes are quite fruitful despite my being a temporary teacher only for a day or two. Because, I am able to provide incentives for the students to become eager to prepare for college and go further in their education.

Cons

The only negative point is that I am the mathematics teacher for students only for one day as a substitute teacher.

Consider evaluating - quite seriously - the mathematics teachers that you now have, because, the young and eager minds and energy of our high school students deserve much more than what some of their present mathematics can offer them.

Good school district to work for.

Former Employee - Computer Resource Assistant in Poway, CA
    Former Employee - Computer Resource Assistant in Poway, CA

I worked at Poway USD - San Diego part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The district provides great benefits, and the time-off policies are top notch. Technology forward district is a major plus if you enjoy being on the leading edge of education technology.

Cons

Pay can be on the lower end of the industry average for the area. Work can get a little monotonous at some of the older schools where new ideas are hard to implement.

Promotions are hard to come by. Most promotions happen within the district and some can't even be accessed by district employees until a previous pool of applicants has been extinguished.

It has been a very interesting place to work.

Current Employee - Campus Security in Poway, CA
    Current Employee - Campus Security in Poway, CA

I have been working at Poway USD - San Diego full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They have great benefits and the company has been around a long time.

Cons

It runs on a good old boys mentally. It is very tough to get promoted.

Remember the small people

It was pretty fun overall.

Former Employee - Data Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Data Assistant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Poway USD - San Diego full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It was pretty fun overall.

Cons

I wanted to make more money.

You should pay employees more money

Not great, not horrible

Former Employee - Student Worker for PUSD Health and Nutrition Department in San Diego, CA

I worked at Poway USD - San Diego part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Paid student work that was simple you revived free food.

Cons

The food was limited quality and not much work time.

Not much you can change with the situation that was given, money-wise. Try to reach out to more of the students for more opportunities to work instead of just one person. Better communication between student and supervisor so that sifts are covered and everyone wins. Pull out the people who are not working but don't pull those who are with the ones who aren't.

Great school district, politics are terrible.

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in Poway, CA
    Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in Poway, CA

I have been working at Poway USD - San Diego full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great starting pay, depending on your school you are located the teachers can be friendly. Great location, near my home in Poway. Parents are mostly all helpful.

Cons

Politics are terrible. You need to "get in" with the teachers if you want to work as a team. Some schools have a very tight group of teachers and it can be hard to get in with them. If you are a first year teacher, make sure you stand up for yourself if you are being observed from your BTSA.

Poway Unified School District

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Poway USD - San Diego full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

While there is a district wide mission statement, each school site has the opportunity to determine how to best meet the needs of their unique population. This gives all staff a voice on how to improve all areas of management and, more importantly, instruction. While individual school budgets are decreasing, school sites and the district endeavor to utilize the available resources to provide quality instruction. The doors are open for parents and the community to get involved and to see their schools as a positive experience for everyone. Most schools are used before and after school and on the weekends for life-long learners.

Cons

Budget constraints create tension and anxiety about making future plans. Cutting or even eliminating programs that support K-12 education are unfortunate, but for the past several years, are becoming the norm.

Great people, location and work environment

Current Employee - Food Service I in Poway, CA
    Current Employee - Food Service I in Poway, CA

I have been working at Poway USD - San Diego

Pros

I love everything about PUSD

Cons

not enough hours in the part time job

n/a