Powell Industries

Powell Industries Chairman Thomas W. Powell

Thomas W. Powell

Wouldn't work anywhere else

Welder (Current Employee) Northlake, IL

ProsI love working for Powell Delta/Unibus. During my time here I have seen many changes and I must admit it is for the better. HR at Delta are top notch, I have not ever worked for a company that HR is so involved in trying to make this a better place. They do what many HR people I worked for don't, they listen.
    Aggressive growth, management seems to really be trying to make us competitive in the market.

ConsIf your not part Houston or Canada you are forgotten.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember there are other divisions outside of Houston and Canada. We also need your help to grow.

My experience at Powell was one that taught me a lot about the company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe workers are friendly and welcoming and all work together as a huge team

ConsA lot of hand slapping from the superiors and very little uplifting

Advice to Senior ManagementShow more appreciation for the hard work that is performed

Great place to work, great people.

Project Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsPowell does many different things for their customers as a result there are always many opportunities in many feilds of the operation.

ConsWages could be a little better. But it has a outstanding safety record's which is always a very important thing when it comes to a manufacturing facility.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on growing the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

They do not care for good and faithful workers. Butt kissers are kept.

Switch Gear/Production Manager (Former Employee)

ProsPay was good. Job had lots of overtime

ConsManagement and Human resources have no idea what life is like on production floor.

Advice to Senior ManagementRehire your old employees from companies you did away with who busted tail for you.

A very aggressive company who wants to be at the top!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) North Canton, OH

ProsCompetitive salary with a laid back work environment.

ConsI do not have anything negative.

Get in, Then Get out!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat place to gain experience. It's a good place to either start...or finish your career.

ConsVery hard to advance here. Don't expect to be paid what you think you are worth.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees more (pay better!!!)

I gained skills in electrical from no skill to an experiences wiring. This caused me to change my major to become an EE.

Wiring (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThere are a lot of opportunity in this company to increase your knowledge because there are so many products to be experience.

ConsThe bad thing in this company is the salary are low. So many past employees worked here to be use as a stepping stone to achieve higher. Another reason it is bad in this company is the unfair paying between employee. e.g. a 2 years or older employees get pay lower than a new people without skills or any knowledge of electrical plus with a language barriers. According to lead-man heard from Supervisors stated these employee get higher pay than current employee due to their relatives who's worked here as an offices position so they get better pay than a current skilled employees. This also apply to overtime same reason relationship. People already get pay low only have overtime will allow them to support their family. This is what cause man skilled employee to leave this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to re-manage the staffs (supervisor, lead-man, crew-leader) on the floor. Second, apply the change between skilled employee and unskilled new employee.

Wonderful rotational intern program ("offshore" location)

Intern (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsLot's of valuable experience gained. It's a resume game changer.

Conslack of structure in one or two departments, but that doesn't effect your experience.

They talked a good game during interview, but it was just a dog and pony show.

Supervisor (Former Employee) North Canton, OH

ProsThe job is very simple and easy.

ConsThey did not want to improve their efficiencies at all. They were content running this like a mom and pop shop. There is no experience leadership in the entire facility.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to step their game up, and learn how to improve attitude in the facility. They need to drive some large changes to make them elite in their product line.

poor working conditions on production floor

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThere is nothing positive to say about Powell industries. They need to raise the hourly pay they pay people on the production floor.

Conslow pay on production floor. People have to work 6 to 7 days a week to make money to take care of their families. Turn over is very high!

Advice to Senior Managementwork on the production floor in the extreme heat and cold and see what its like.

Worked for Powell Industries? Contribute to the Community!