Powell Tate Reviews

4.0
Pam Jenkins

1. A great place to intern or start your PR career

I worked at Powell Tate

Pros

Account executives involved the interns immediately. We were doing work on the biggest clients and it was one of the best working environments that I've ever been involved in. They care about their interns and it shows.

Cons

Like any other internship, you'll do your fair share of calling people, researching, and doing the ground work on a PR campaign. Not a real complaint, just an aspect of the working world.

Keep up the great program.

2. Summer PR Intern

Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Powell Tate as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Junior staff are all very friendly and outgoing. Senior staff are very supportive and willing to help. Great work-life balance.

Cons

Largely unstructured internship program. Can be tough to get overtime pay approved.

Put more responsibility onto the interns, and add more structure to the internship program.

3. Decent Experience in Public Relations

Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Powell Tate as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Intensive, hands-on internship. You work with multiple teams and a variety of clients. There is never a shortage of work and often times you'll have coworkers swinging by asking for help with this or that. It's a fun place to work, with lots of staff lunches and benefits. Everyone is friendly, for the most part.

Cons

As an intern, you're assigned a buddy who is supposed to help you with any issue you may have. For some interns, this was great as their buddy was outgoing and located near their desk. For others, it was detrimental. My buddy hardly cared what I had to say and wasn't very outgoing. Also, being assigned to 3 different clients can get hectic when you have 2 different VPs wanting an assignement due at the same time. There is very little inter communication so I often felt stretched then.

Overhaul your internship program. The work and experience was great, but being on a different floor with a disinterested mentor made me feel unwanted. The only people who seemed to be offered jobs were those who sat outside the VP offices and had lots of interaction. Working in the downstairs tech/design area with no one around makes interns feel alienated.

5. Always engaging

Current Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at Powell Tate full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Small teams. You interact directly with your supervisor daily. You interact with top execs in the company daily. You interact with the president of the company. It's a family. I was hired as a mere summer intern and I'm meeting these amazing professionals and learning from them daily. I was expecting the usual intern experience where I'm practically invisible. Not at Powell Tate. Hands on. Real experience.

Cons

I have no negative remarks about this company.

Honestly, I have no advice yet for management. They are doing everything right by me.

6. Helps you break into industry

I worked at Powell Tate

Pros

good client roster
    looks good on your resume
    you'll learn a lot professionally

Cons

long hours, lots of tedious work
    junior staff at complete the whim of senior staff (and their egos)
    some funny business goes on between some junior and senior staff

juniors are in a vulnerable position. be aware of what goes on between jr and senior staff.