Power Construction

Updated September 23, 2014
4.6

Jeff Karp

I worked at Power Construction as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I came in as a first year intern for the summer of 2014 and was not sure what to expect. I had very little experience and was a bit nervous working for such a top notch company. But, I had such a great and rewarding experience. The whole Power company from top down truly makes every employee weather an intern or a senior employee feel welcome and valued. The training opportunities are endless in this company. I would recommend and internship with Power to any student in the Construction industry looking for a rewarding and hands on experience. They really make you feel part of the team at Power and that is what I loved about my experience.

Cons

Commuting in and out of the city can be somewhat of a hassle and traffic can be bad. But, if you learn to utilize public transportation (Metra, CTA, etc.) you will find yourself to be much happier.

Please keep up the genuine welcoming feeling and care of your employees and the interns. I cannot express enough how powerful that was for me coming in to work for Power this summer and being so nervous.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Power Construction full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Power has a great variety of projects. They can handle all sizes and complexities of varying work. Being a Chicago-only company that does large, challenging projects makes them one of a kind. The teamwork within project teams and divisions is good and employees of all levels share knowledge and experience well. Senior management is invested in training, mentoring, and promoting employees. Power make it a priority to ensure employees enjoy work and have fun.

Cons

As with all construction companies, the ebb and flow of project demands can at times make achieving work/life balance challenging. This is a challenge across the industry, not specific only to Power.

Keep up the good work - things are going well!

Former Employee - Project Engineer Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Project Engineer Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Power Construction as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

It was one of the best experiences I have ever had, it was a great opportunity to work with Power for the summer. From day one I felt like part of the team everyone was very helpful and would answer any questions that I had. I was exposed to a variety of projects and processes, given responsibilities and sometimes left to work through issues on my own. As an Intern the experience blew me away and I learned a lot.

Cons

I saw no cons while working at Power Construction

The way that you and the rest of Power treat the Interns is second to none. You make them feel like part of the team and company from day one and I really liked that. Also keep up the good work with all of the training sessions I gained a lot of insight during those sessions.

Former Employee - Project Engineer Intern
    Former Employee - Project Engineer Intern

I worked at Power Construction as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great exposure to real-world problems, plenty of responsibilities, access to all of Power's resources, great projects to work on.

Cons

Difficult to prove your worth as an intern to the executive team.

Keep up the good work!

My experience at Power Construction was educational, challenging, and rewarding.

Current Employee - Fashion Outlets of Chicago in Rosemont, IL
    Current Employee - Fashion Outlets of Chicago in Rosemont, IL

I have been working at Power Construction as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Power Construction is a large, growing company that has managed to maintain its "family owned" feel, giving its employees a sense of comfort and security. Employees are all very willing to help interns learn the ropes of the industry so you can learn at an efficient rate.

Cons

I can name no cons of working for Power, my experience and the company were both outstanding.

Management makes a very conscious effort to meet entry level employees and interns. They are the reason that the company keeps its "family owned" feel.

I worked at Power Construction as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great People. Great activities for interns. Reall enjoyed the depth of projects that they offer and the opportunites to be involved in extra curricular activities for interns. Overall good experience.

Cons

Make interns travel to jobsites - gas money required. From talking to other interns, it sounds like the level of participation that you can have on the projects is highly fluid dependent upon who your mentor/project team is.

Continue to develop young talent by pushing them during their internships to see what they can bring to the table. Perhaps a little more guidance in what they can do to better their marketablility when the graduate college would be useful as well.

Learning

Current Employee - Project Accountant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Accountant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Power Construction

Pros

In the Project Accountant Group - there is a large emphasis placed on Teamwork and shared knowledge. Learned a lot about processes, improving processes and best practices.

Cons

As a Project Accountant - there is not a professional carreer path or room for advancement. Once a PA - always a PA. The only way to standout is to take on special projects and those are not always available to everyone or there are internal roadblocks to everyone getting fully involved.

Create a career path / advancement for PA's

Do not let one person run the entire PA Dept. with their agenda