Power Design Reviews

Mitch Permuy

Superintendent

Current Employee - Project Superintendent in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Project Superintendent in Denver, CO

I have been working at Power Design full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

PDI has provided an excellent work environment with all the tools and technology needed to be successful.

Cons

Lack of highly skilled field support.

Advice to Management

Provide Foreman Training

Awesome Company

Current Employee - Lead Talent Acquisition in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Lead Talent Acquisition in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Power Design

Pros

Power Design is an awesome work environment with intelligent people all around you. The company is built on strong core values that hold true. If you work hard and are passionate about your job you will be respected and rewarded.

Cons

not a direct path and a lot of hand holding. If you want advancement you need to go out and get it.

Advice to Management

Continue to make the best decisions for Power Design. Promote from within and continue to support your most important asset; Your employees.

DANGER!!! STAY AWAY!!! Would not recommend to my WORST enemy...

Former Employee - Lighting Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Lighting Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Power Design full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You can go home, SOMETIMES.... You get a paycheck. You get to work with some of the most outstanding human beings you will ever meet.

Cons

Where do I begin. I would work the streets picking up trash on a hot day without shoes before EVER working at Power Design Resources again. It is a sweat shop. UNREALISTIC expectations at peanuts for salary. You have to threaten to quit to get a raise. Management has no clue how to utilize the talent in place.

Advice to Management

I would not recommend my worst enemy to apply.

Project Engineer

I worked at Power Design full-time

Pros

A lot of young talent, room for growth, very team orientated environment.

Cons

Lack of space due to rapid growth, Salaries can be a bit low for entry level positions, remote teammates find it difficult to get in sync with corporate office.

Project Manager

Former Employee - Project Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Power Design full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Beautiful office, fun co-workers, and lots of company events to show employee appreciation.

Cons

Fast paced environment with tight deadlines, running between 3 to 5 mutli-million dollar jobs at a time, stressful projects with limited manpower, underpaid positions.

Working at PDI has been career defining.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Power Design full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Compensation is fair, but there should be clear salary brackets for each position. - Great atmosphere and culture - Ability to grow quickly if your a "go getter" - Strong emphasis on training. "One of a kind" field evaluation center. - Employee appreciation is strongly shown - Strong emphasis on customer relation

Cons

- Ladder is only visible for those who push. There is not a clear timeline or goals to reach in order to advance in entry level positions. Completely subjective of the functional manager, which can lead to overdue advancement. - Forced PTO - Bonus structure is not clearly defined. Improvements have been made, but still room to improve.

Advice to Management

Work on fair compensation for each position no matter the background of the employee. Define clear goals for employees to drive toward for advancement. Overall, my experience at PDI has been great and I can't wait to see what lies ahead.

Horrific Experience!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Power Design

Pros

If you are a smoker...fear NOT...this company states non smokers only but EVERYONE from the project managers down to the foremen's SMOKE like crazy...so be prepared, especially if you are asthmatic like myself.

Cons

They fired me after 3 days on the job stating that I was a bad hire and that I didn't know what I was doing and would not be able to keep up with the pace of their company. I have been in my field for the past 16 years and yet in 3 days on the job this was their determination. This was after they aggressively pursued me, and offered me 6K above their original offer to help compensate for their terrible benefits package. Seems like it would have been a horrible company anyway and perhaps I dodged a bullet as they had one person trying to handle 19 different jobs in the DC area and my entire second day was mostly spent just stuck in a car driving around for 11 hours.

Advice to Management

Take the time to actually do face to face interviews so you don't waste people's time and emotions. Better train your felid managers in proper ways to handle matters like this rather then publicly firing someone at 7:30am on their 4th day at the job in front of a room full of people.

9. Overall great experience

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Power Design

Pros

Great people, challenging work environment, given nice apparel for work attire, marketing and in-house staff

Cons

Compensation, lack of communication with home office, growth opportunity for project management only seemed realistic in Tampa

Advice to Management

Communicate better with field staff and those not located in Tampa

Great company & great people

I have been working at Power Design full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is so much opportunity for growth within this company. Managers take the time to lead their employees in the right direction to help them climb the ladder of success. Employees are appreciated and celebrated; management does a good job of compensating their staff. The quality of work completed here is second to none, expectations are high, which causes you to be the best employee that you can be.

Cons

With the enormous recent growth coming so quickly, some people have to temporarily share offices. It is a good problem to have and there are solutions coming soon..

Honest Review - BEWARE

I have been working at Power Design full-time

Pros

- Awesome corporate headquarters - The company organizes "parties" during office hours with free alcohol and tons of food, really for any reason they can think of .. also "Power Outages" "Fun Friday" etc. - Almost everyone in the office looks like they stepped out of GQ

Cons

Let me start off with - All of the "5 star" and "seemingly perfect" ratings are obviously not accurate and fictitiously written to try to smooth over the perception of PDI - which is well known in the area and all recruiters - HIGH TURNOVER - even people who work there have made comments "it wouldn't surprise me if they fired me tomorrow" You literally do not know who will be there each day, the company is a revolving door. Don't fall in love with your job or the company atmosphere, most people are gone in 6 months. -PTO - I have never seen a system such as this, you have a set amount of PTO days but all general holidays (I.E. Memorial Day, July 4th, Christmas Eve, etc) get taken out of your PTO.. after all of the holidays I am left with 3 days I would be able to take off or be sick. Everyone stays in the negative with time off - so when you inevitably get fired, they will take the time out of your paycheck I assume. - Training - There is none. It's sink or swim with an extremely confusing system. Don't try to ask questions- depending on your boss, you will get snapped at - Very cut throat and no where to expand. If your management gets the hint you want to expand your knowledge, skills, or your position - you will be gone the next day and someone a little more naive and content will take your place. - Low salaries in comparison to the job market. Money is spent elsewhere - parties, beer, a private jet that takes the owners, their children, and whoever has managed to mingle their way in with them, to their beach house in Cabo. (but don't hold your breath at being one of these lucky few, it takes years of brown nosing - if you can manage to hang on to your job that long)

Advice to Management

Almost all of Tampa and St Pete areas are well aware of your business practices now and recruiters are being very candid. The corporate culture is nice, but maybe you should try to hang on to your employees a little longer - they could end up being assets, instead of wasting money continuously training a new batch of employees. Be more respectful of people

RSS Feed </> Embed