Power Design

Updated August 14, 2014

3.4

Mitch Permuy

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fast paced, upbeat environment with room for team member growth!

Current Employee - Executive Assistant  in  Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Saint Petersburg, FL

Pros

• There’s always something to do, never time to watch the clock.
    • The company does fun events for its team members.
    • Power Design takes pride in our office and enjoys giving company tours.
    • The company hires from within so there’s always room for growth.

Cons

• Since we’re understaffed there’s not enough time in the day to do all of the expected work.
    • The PTO structure is very different from what I feel other companies are doing today.

• Consider not having forced PTO days like Presidents Day, Good Friday, etc.
    • Consider giving bereavement to utilize for immediate family members.

Easy to find something better than PDI

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL

Pros

Visually appealing office
    A few good people who deserve better

Cons

A lot of phonies that work here. The positive reviews are clearly written by the staffing specialists. There are some really good coworkers, but a lot of dumb former sorority girls who were hired for their looks and don't have an ounce of talent. A certain upper management has a massive ego and talks down to and terminates employees in front of everyone. Easily the cockiest man you would know. Another is a dumb and crazy woman (nothing against women - some are great leaders) who has no business with a business title. It hurts to listen to her speak. There are a lot of cheer leaders who will tell you how great it is to work here, but once you are in, you realize you are in a hostile environment and find yourself giving up your nights and weekends because work comes first and second, family and personal life third. If feels like high school. People don't last long here.

Treat employees with more respect, don't treat us like slaves, and hire people based on qualifications, not looks.

Great Company and Getting Better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

Pros

Beautiful facility
    Immense in house training and supports external as well
    Executives work hard to keep improving process
    Truly care about their employees and retention
    Company is growing providing a lot of opportunity for their employees

Cons

The company is growing and so is the workload. The hours and management can be demanding but it is usually rewarding.

I have seen a lot of improvement with on boarding and training new personnel as well as increased appreciation for current employees. Keep it up!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great experience through and through

Current Employee - Project Engineer  in  Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Saint Petersburg, FL

Pros

Excellent training and superb location and office

Cons

want to have a good boss to start with

A company for a very short stint, not a career.

Former Employee - Project Engineer  in  Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Saint Petersburg, FL

Pros

Nice office, gorgeous girls all around, some opportunities for promotion.
    I can't complain too much, everything they promised to do for me they did. But I did see an incredible amount of people getting fired while I was there. You literally don't know who will be in the cubicle next to you by the end of the day.

Cons

Very high turnover. CEO hires people based on their looks not qualifications. I had two Bucs cheerleaders sit next to me working as project engineers with education that had nothing to do with the job. Nice girls but dumb as rocks.
    People are promoted or fired based on looks and character, not abilities.
    The pay was pathetic. They did give me a raise three times during first year. But you have to push for it hard.
    CEO has a very short temper. Can fire people on the spot if you get an argument with him on a bad day. Saw a few senior managers fired that way.
    Overall, ok company for a quick 1-2 year stint out of college. You get experience, they get a low wage worker. Keep in mind, they are a SUB, not GC, for all those college grads, this is a step down.

Stop caring about money so much. We get it that CEO drives a maserati and makes a ton of money. But share something with your employees. A 401K match would be nice for example. Stop hiring girls based on their bra size. I was sick of dealing with dumb blonds who have never been out in the field.

Fast-paced, high energy, fun culture!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

Pros

I think what really makes this company are the values and the people...well, that and the socials, parties and contests run throughout the year to add some fun!

I have to say I'm really proud to work for a company that puts forward its values (integrity, accountability, teamwork, innovation and growth) on a daily basis. It's really not something that you find at every company, and it's something that I think changes the outlook of the company as a whole.

What I really love about Power Design is the culture. Power Design attracts high-energy, driven employees that work hard and play hard. It's really nice to be in a company where the people around you are as passionate and driven as you, and to be able to challenge each other and work as a team to get the job done right!

It's also nice to be in an environment that encourages growth and training. With a 12,000-square-foot training center (which is pretty impressive!), there's always some kind of training going on in the building. Plus, the company offers tuition reimbursement programs and other training initiatives, which is pretty cool.

(It's also great to work for a company that puts on fun events such as summer socials, pet photo contests, costume contests, and BBQs!)

Cons

I think one thing that I would say is that Power Design really is a fast-paced, challenging environment. When you're running dozens of projects around the country, all with deadlines and specifications, you've really got to be able to keep up. It is definitely not a slow-paced environment, and I think that people who come here thinking that it will be very easy, or people who can't adapt to change really well, are not going to have their expectations met. I think this company expects a lot out of itself, and thus expects a lot out of its employees.

I think a lot has changed in the last couple of years at Power Design. What, in my opinion, has always been an employee-focused company, is even moreso now. There are a lot of really cool initiatives going on right now with company goals, performance appraisals, compensation programs, and new hire training and guidance. It's a cool thing to see a company evolve more and more!

An exciting, dynamic place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

Pros

Great office space
    Opportunities for growth
    Great work environment
    Great people
    Solid overall company vision

Cons

The bad economy has forced the company to make some tough decisions

A Bad Dream

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

Pros

Nice Office
    Young environment, on the move

Cons

-Was not given clear expecations of role
    -No training or support provided
    -HIGH TURNOVER
    -Senior leadership, questionable practices
    -A popularity contest to determine promotions
    -HR department is extremely unethical and unprofessional

Dont be so quick to push employees out the door. Provide the right resources, training, and support and see better results.

Privately owned, stressful, unprofessional, and at times unethical. Not a positive experience overall.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

Pros

New corporate office is visually pleasing
    Compensation packages are reasonably competative
    Field management is comprised of skilled tradesmen
    Large footprint for privately owned company

Cons

Very high employee turnover
    Questionable hiring and termination practices (superficial)
    Unskilled subcontract labor / installation crews
    Unprofessional & unethical executive leadership
    Extreme nepotism
    Reactive not proactive

Treat your employees fairly with respect. Stop wasting good talent and resources in order to hire younger and cheaper. Quit misrepresenting corporate values and achievements.

Worked for Power Design? Contribute to the Community!