Power-One

Be The First To
Add Photos

Power-One CEO and Director Rich Thompson

Rich Thompson

Fast paced with a lot of blocking and tackling.

I have been working at Power-One full-time

ProsThere are lots of good people that work extremely hard. it is a brand new operation with lots to prove. I was able to build a lot of the processes from the ground up.

ConsIt is an unstable industry with a lot of turnover and this company fluctuates heavily with the market. They expect overtime and early mornings and late nights.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe operation needs stability and focus.

Way too much corporate politics and too little focus on customers.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
San Jose, CA

I worked at Power-One full-time

ProsIf you want to work in the renewable energy field, more specifically solar, then this is one good place. One of the leading companies when it comes to inverters and power supplies.

ConsThis office was a puppet on a string to engineering in Italy and HQ in Camarillo.
Did not feel that management were completely honest with customers and personal growth was not in HR's vocabulary.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on company values and specifically ethics.

Always had a great boss.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Power-One full-time for more than 10 years

ProsAmazing co-workers, great team players.

ConsThis Company needs better process

Quite good

Test Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly Staff
Great Networking hub
Much to learn

Consgood Perks but relatively low salaries
technician staff is not disciplined much
assembly line is not very streamlined

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove Technician staff
increase salaries

Currently employed by Power One

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Power-One full-time for less than a year

ProsBeautiful campus, nice co-workers; hopefully, acquisition by ABB will improve company.

ConsPoor senior management, no work-life balance, poor benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat salaried employees like salaried employees; knock off the 50 hour minimum required work week.

Lost in a state of Perpetual Incompetence

Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Power-One full-time for more than a year

ProsThey pay very good at first, mostly because they're are so desparate to find someone with a functional brain that will work for them! Still, good people are working there, and they've learned to do well even in this company's unstable management environment. The building (Phoenix site) is nice, clean, well maintained, and there's a friendly social culture among most the employees. If you choose to work for Power-One just try to avoid being sucked into management's never-ending, self-serving, ego-driven, metric-manipulating, political vortex, and you'll do just fine. You may even be happy, if you got the money you wanted!

ConsPlease, don't get me started!! Management, management, management, that's all that management cares about. They think every problem can only be fixed by having MORE management. Too many MBA "chefs" have ruined the soup! The companies products are plagued with unresolved technical problems that can ONLY be corrected by competent, experienced engineers who can focus on REAL solutions, not just what pleases, or provides managers the metrics & results they want to "cover their ass" in the next politically-correct, unproductive meeting! The "see no evil", "speak no evil", "hear no evil" incompetent politically-correct attitude of middle management towards actually identifying and resolving technical problems in the products is coming right from the top Senior Management team in Camarillo. No managers in Phoenix are willing to take the risk of losing their well paying, comfortable jobs by reporting the real FACTS (if they know) of why the products fail in test and in the the field. That would be political suicide in this company. The guys at the top don't want to hear facts, they just want the metrics to all be GREEN, negative facts might upset their next golf game!

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company needs competent LEADERS who are commited to identifying and correcting problems at every level of the company. Just giving self-serving ego-boosting lip service to the company's many problems, while praising yourselves for the great jobs your doing is fixing nothing! First, why don't you try allowing your engineering groups to provide you with honest REAL evaluations of the problems causing your product failures! You know that the service & warranty costs are killing your profits. You have highly competent power engineers in Italy and the US, and they can fix all the problems if you will correct your management attitude and allow them to identify and resolve the technical issues! They'll love for it!
Next, try putting the customers needs before own! Focus on building-up your customer service functions and policies to deliver the fastest & best after-sale customer service in the industry. Yes, this will require a significant investment, but your customers will know you really stand behind your products, and they will love you for it! So, how do you do this? Maybe some of your extravagant management perks and spending habits need to take a back seat for a while, that might help! Also, maybe you need to have a little house-cleaning of some of your dead-beat unproductive management buddies, and hire some exceptional top managers who have a long history of kicking-ass and taking names to correct the problems in your disfunctional management structure. I know I'm being tough on you, but you deserve it, for being asleep at the wheel! How about asking ABB for some help in identifying and fixing your many product and management problems. I'm sure they want you to yield better profits now, since they own the company, you think? Since you guys seem to be highly motivated by the size of your management bonuses, imagine what bonuses you could reap if you just sold a reliable product that goes out the door and never comes back broken! Come on, you can do it, for the customers, company, your employees, and yourselves. Stop playing your "I'm a big shot" management games, come down out of the clouds from your ivory towers and spend time YOURSELVES in the trenches with your engineering, manufacturing, quality, and customer service groups to mandate that product failures are absolutely unacceptable, and those who allow or cover it up will be FIRED!

Consider your options carefully.....

Field Service Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Power-One full-time for less than a year

ProsExcellent industry to be a part of. Smartly designed product line.

ConsWill do everything to convince you that you are "professionally exempt" from overtime pay even though California Labor code is quite clear. If you are in the field, expect your normal work week to be 70hrs but to only be paid for 40hrs.

Advice to Senior ManagementComply with California labor code.

Its a hard, fast paced, but fun friendly job

Assembler (Former Employee)
Tempe, AZ

I worked at Power-One full-time for more than a year

ProsPower One is good about the rate of pay

ConsLong days. Nobody should have to work 12 hour shifts 6 days a week.

Assembler

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Power-One

Prosgood company, friendly people to work with

Consnothing to say nothing bad about the place

Ever changing work environment

I have been working at Power-One

ProsRecently acquired by ABB, things might change for better.

ConsNo work-life balance.
Lack of standards and processes in place.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee appreciation

Worked for Power-One? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Power-One reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Power-One CEO Rich Thompson. All 32 reviews posted anonymously by Power-One employees.