Power Position Group

Updated September 17, 2014
Updated September 17, 2014

John L. Reed

I have been working at Power Position Group

Pros

Great experience to get an abbreviated, condensed overall crash course in marketing experience.However, it depends on who is leading the group and their morale compass. While its great to get the shining star into management young in life, the program needs some serious mentorship to help balance out the lack of life's experience and maturity that is lacking and should be expected with hungry, ambitious, talented want a bee's leading the pack in their late 20's or 30's

Cons

Great efforts are put into training and improving a quick start up but it lacks consistency. People complain about the long hours but if the program works and it hasn't yet in the Pleasanton area as far as the hyped promotions and new offices opening, then the sacrifice of hard work should be worth it. Too many promises, outright lies, stretching of the truth and even lack of attention to the very important detail that people aren't being compensated for the hours put in are some of the biggest negatives needed to be addressed. The illusion of taking care of these issues is there but many things are never addressed fairly leaving workers walking away with more questions with why they stayed so long. The concept is incredible but again its the manager running the show when you sign on that you need to have full trust in. Delve deep into their character and integrity before signing on.

Hire someone immediately to make sure you are following all the human resources rules of an incorporation. Get some coaches and mentors on board that can help you stick to your work and not over promise and hype. The world of marketing tends to bring that out in people in the excitement of succeeding. In some cases, temper the military style of management for those who may not prosper in that intense of an environment. You may be losing a lot of talented people that way. Stay clear of favortism and try to be fair. Treat others the way you'd like to be treated in every way possible. Focus on relationships, not staying glued to your cell phone to appear you are a busy executive, putting on an image rather than caring about your people. Invest and care about those who have made you look good and refrain from empty promises of promotion, bonuses etc. Be real.

I expect this business will always spark criticism from those who aren't cut out from it or it someone truly did suffer in getting the money they so rightly deserved. It just discourages me that in reading the reviews, the same problems exist. Sounds like this business still needs to go back to basics and needs an overall to make it work as it has in so many other parts of the country.

Looks Great if you don't look close

Former Employee - Marketing Management Training in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Management Training in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Power Position Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great appeal to people looking to improve their situation and self. Promises hourly+commission and fast management growth. High Energy atmosphere. Useful training for life and career.

Cons

Promises are empty, reality is commission ONLY. Extreme hours 6 days a week. Employer pushes to employees work unpaid overtime. A lot of driving required for position. Legal paperwork and payroll seems to be under investigation.

Present the company and self in truthful manner, considering and following all federal and state laws.

I didn't have the greatest experience with this company.

Former Employee - Marketer in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Marketer in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Power Position Group full-time

Pros

If young, single and willing to work too hard for too little, there is opportunity for a good future with this company.

Cons

This company comes across as a typical pyramid scheme. You are expected to put in long hours and produce in a market that has severe limitations. As you get promoted with this company, you are supposedly given more responsibility and freedom, but upper management forces lower management to go along with poor choices to advance their own situation.

Gained a wealth of knowledge and professional experience on how to run a business.

Former Employee - Assistant Office Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Office Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Power Position Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The employees and atmosphere around the office and workplace was amazing. Much more fun than my former corporate job. It was a great feeling working hard for myself and my own advancement, instead of being held back by upper management. I saw first-hand what it took to run my own office and company. The business model is genius and is applicable in all markets. The networking with other offices and regional VP's was wonderful. Everyone seemed to have the blue-collar working class type of personality that was easy to get a long with and talk to. It was good have different mentors not only in the office I worked at, but also at the regional and national level. Company-paid trips to national conferences and other cities for experience was such a pleasure. The best part was that I didn't have any professional business experience in entrepreneurship or any field of marketing, but the they took time to train and educate me.

Cons

A lot of hard work, but it's because we were in an advanced program. So I understood I wasn't going anywhere if I was going to be lazy. It was definitely an investment in my future and career advancement.

Team nights were a blast. Could happen more often or with different variety.

Co-workers are cool, but horrible experience overall

Current Employee - Entry Level Marketing in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Entry Level Marketing in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Power Position Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you try REALLY REALLY hard, you MIGHT make it.

Cons

I applied for one of their marketing coordinator job listings only to find out that it is door to door sales. They even list on their job listing "If you are looking for door to door or telemarketing, this job is not for you!". I decided to go for it anyways. I worked for one of their "independently owned offices" for about a month before I was "promoted to full-time." Once inside the company, you're brought into a weird world that operates very similar to a cult. Every morning you have "impact meeting" where everyone stands (because chairs encourage laziness there aren't any in the office, excluding those in the lobby, the receptionist's, and the manager's) and claps and yells and carries on. All of this is called "juice," because that somehow equates success.

The very idea of "juice" is indicative of the specialized lingo they use. Nothing is normal in terms of language. You spend the morning being drilled on "the 5 and the 8" and other such specialized rituals and language. You're told to avoid "negs," which equate to saying anything negative about any aspect of the job in any way, and gently reminded to stay away from "posi-negs" which are something positive which contain a negative element. Company mandated social time before going door-to-door all day, in the car ride, at lunch, and back at the office, is called "atmosphere" which is basically a time for the team leaders to police the new recruits and make sure the subject of conversation is only about how awesome the job is, and how ridiculously wealthy you'll be in two or three years.

And that's how they get you. The whole thing is underpinned by this "stick with us and you'll be rich, a multi-billionaire who's retired at 35" message. But you have to work for it, and work hard. You have to dedicate your life to it, and surround yourself with like-minded, success oriented people. Who are these people? Your friends at the office. You get coffee with them every morning. You eat lunch with them every day. You hang out with them on the weekends. You spend nearly ever waking moment with them.

"What about time off?" you ask. There really isn't any. You show up at the office at about 9:00-7:00 AM M-F. Work doesn't start until 11, really, but that's "going the extra mile." That's you succeed. From then, you're on your feet for the next 8 hours, with maybe a total of 1 hour sitting in the car and at lunch. Atmosphere and Impact (mandated social time and the morning meeting) are there to reinforce how awesome you are, and to saturate you with messages of how awesome and rich you're going to be before it's off to the field, were you go door-to-door peddling horrible products, working "the law of averages." This means you're knocking on doors hoping to find people stupid enough to fork over money for the stuff you're selling. Alone. All day. Lunch lasts maybe 20-30 minutes. The faster your lunch break, the better you are. Maybe by about 8 PM, you get picked up, after having doors slammed in your face, guns pulled on you, crazies telling you the Pope is really Satan, and owners unleashing their abused attack dogs on you (all of these things happened to me at one time or another), and you're expected to act like your day was the best day on Earth. Then you get back to the office for at least another hour of impact, where people who made enough money get to ring a bell, and everyone cheers for them, and the people who didn't are implicitly shamed, and told that tomorrow is their chance, and that "you have two pockets, one for money, one for learning; only one can be filled up each day." Maybe you get to leave by 7 PM if you're lucky. When you get home, you're exhausted. No time for family, or friends. You just need to sleep, because it starts again tomorrow. Monday through Friday. 8-11 hours, each day. Plus a 5 - 7 hour "half day" on Saturdays to go the extra mile. You get Sundays off.

Don't lie in your online job ads.

Don't pay everything due. False claims.

Former Employee - Marketing Representative in Gold River, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Representative in Gold River, CA

I worked at Power Position Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

High energy, sales oriented environment. Lot of Rah Rah for team environment.

Cons

Lot of Rah Rah. Killer schedule 6 days/week. Don't pay everything due. Claim client not paying; don't believe that's true. Reps represent "top designers" will go to customer's house, many times they don't show up or are totally untrained and unprepared, even not having samples or knowing how to measure and figure a job. Therefore, reps are made to look like they are lying, but have made the representation to customer in good faith, believing it to be true.

Be honest. Don't make promises not kept.

Power Position Group Response

Jan 28, 2014CEO

Power Position Group is a direct marketing firm that is headquartered in Gold River, CA; we seek to manage the business as well as all of our client and employee relationships with integrity. We are ... More

Power Position Group is great place to get your foot in the door!

Former Employee - Entry Level Marketing in Gold River, CA
    Former Employee - Entry Level Marketing in Gold River, CA

I worked at Power Position Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Power Position Group is a great "first" job for people looking to get their foot in the door in the marketing space. The team environment is really strong and all of the co-workers are always willing to help each other out. Upper management is also available for mentoring and training

Cons

The first few weeks are pretty overwhelming but the other employees are always there to help and train. If you are afraid of hard work then this probably isn't the job for you.

Plan more socializing opportunities outside of work! This will help the team grow stronger!

Power Position Group Photos