Power Wellness Reviews

Updated August 25, 2014
Updated August 25, 2014

2.4

CEO

Cares about its employees!

Current Employee - Member Services  in  Moorestown, NJ
    Current Employee - Member Services in Moorestown, NJ

I have been working at Power Wellness part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Power Wellness is always trying to find ways to improve the overall experience of it's employees. I am very pleased with my experience with this company. Would stay if I didn't need to find a full time job!!!

Cons

Sometimes there is a lack of communication with managers.

Work on communication, but other than that nothing!

Ok until something better comes along

I have been working at Power Wellness

Pros

Free gym membership, flexible schedule

Cons

Impossible to get enough hours of work, ZERO corporate training, my supervisors never even introduced themselves to me, impossible to get anyone to return a phone call or email regarding employment. Best bet is to show up at the supervisor's class and introduce yourself. LOW starting wages. Unhappy members make job more difficult.

Great Potential But No Long-Term Outlook

Current Employee - Personal Trainer  in  Geneva, IL
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Geneva, IL

I have been working at Power Wellness full-time

Pros

-Free Membership
    -Free Fit'N'Fun usage for kids and busy work schedules
    -Beautiful, clean pool
    -Spacious, clean, up-to-speed gym facilities & equipment
    -Amazing clients; and members who become "like family"
    -Great place to build "image" and experience in all avenues in the field

Cons

-Poor communication and direction with senior management.
    -Corporate cares more about image of facilities from the membership standpoint than the welfare of the employees ability to self-actualize and make a living.
    -Extremely poor pay (Especially in the last 8 months) with poor benefits and poor compensation despite requiring a Bachelor's or Master's to even work at a facillty. Floor hours are scattered and un-organized, for the responsibilities and effort the staff put forth pay is only 11.73 an hour. Personal training used to be a higher wage but Corporate changed that as well. Trainers now make about $17 an hour for training; that is significantly lower than anywhere else, and even at full-time (which they will try to keep you away from so you do not the benefits they do provide) you can't even make a payment on an apartment let alone a car and utilities.
    -No upward development or ability to go further. They hire externally and do not even consider internal hires unless under certain circumstances. Management does not show interest in employees hard work or effort given but only cares about numbers generated and if goals are met.
    -High turnover and can only seem to higher college kids with little experience and will take whatever they can get, and who live with their parents because they are paying off college loans, or part-time trainers who have the majority of their focus elsewhere. A good deal of staff is leaving and going into different industries; many that do not require a degree but still pay higher.
    -Low motivation as a result of low pay and overall morale.

For the value and quality you desire, you need to make your employees feel appreciated, desired, and valued. Do not let hard work, innovation, and teamwork go unnoticed. Pay higher, and give benefits that people can use to make a living. People have families, homes, and lives to establish, build, and maintain. If you pay your employees low wages and expect a great deal from them; they will burn out, look elsewhere always having one foot out the door, and you will only get subpar effort. You cannot build and synergize a team if their is no foundation for a team to grow with high turnover. You can only get so far hiring new graduates with limited experience, cocky attitudes, and wasting time at your facilities while they look elsewhere for something greater. This place should be a final destination, not a stepping stone to something better. This place has great potential and you have wonderful employees that work hard and are proud to be here and change lives, and revolutionize the industry, but from the corporate/management side we feel unheard, un-appreciated, and heaviliy underpaid. Focus on your employees and THEN your members.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not the worst job I have ever had, but definitely the worst company I have ever worked for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Roscoe, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roscoe, IL

I worked at Power Wellness part-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked in a beautiful facility with great equipment and an awesome pool.

Cons

Awful pay and benefits. Pay is typically around $10/hr with a bachelors and in some cases a masters degree required. Most people lived with their parents because they couldn't afford student loans and rent with that pay. Keeping up expensive certifications without any compensation was another kick in the teeth.

Terrible scheduling; people worked "split shifts" with gigantic unpaid breaks in between shifts. Some work 6 days a week, but are kept under 40 hours. Work until 9:15p at night and have to be back at 4:45a? Ouch. One year I only had 2 total holidays off.

Complete lack of leadership. Zero upward mobility. When a management opening came up they typically refused internal interviews entirely. There were only two instances of a person moving up internally in the 6 years of the location I worked at. Over half of the staff left or was let go in a 7 month period starting December 2012. An awful lot of the people in charge at the corporate office are related. If they had a clue what was going on at their centers, would they even care?

Hire managers. These are people with management education and experience, not fitness experts that are older than all of the other fitness experts.

Pay better. Most people I saw leaving went to another industry entirely. Several of those jobs required no education whatsoever, but paid much better.

High turnover, disorganization at all levels

I have been working at Power Wellness full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with customers to help them achieve wellness. Exceptionally built fitness centers with state-of-the-art equipment

Cons

Company is extremely disorganized and uses a software system no one seems to know how to use. Extremely high turnover - both people I interviewed with during my first and second interviews were fired within the first month of my employment. Another two at the center where I worked were fired within the first three months.
    Power Wellness also does not offer many benefits to their employees. For holidays - including holidays where the center is closed (Christmas Day, New Year's Day), employees must make up the hours missed throughout the same week. Employees get no holidays unless they want to use their (very limited) earned time off.
    Management likes to sit at home doing nothing while understaffed and overworked employees bust their butts and wait for management to come in once a week and criticize them.

Keep yourself informed about what is going on at your centers instead of alienating yourself from your employees. Train yourselves and your staff on the software you use

Enjoyed my year plus with the center

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

I have been working at Power Wellness

Pros

Free membership for employees
    Great co-workers
    Fun clients
    Beautiful, clean facility
    Great classes offered

Cons

Time off requests - management would prefer that employees get their own coverage for time off even when given plenty of notice rather than get the coverage
    Management not familiar with the employee handbook or protocol
    High turnover
    Looks the other way with favorites

Train management in all aspects of the company
    Train employees in all aspects of the company
    Don't look the other way with rule breakers

A good career growth experience

I worked at Power Wellness

Pros

Company full of talented dedicated professionals who give their all for their customers and theire co-workers. You would be proud to be associated with this team.

Cons

Lack of effective leadership from the president lead to the loss of much human capital and the company suffered as a result

Make sure that you recongnize that the strength of your organization resides in the talent and dedication of your staff.

Worked for Power Wellness? Contribute to the Community!