PowerAdvocate

Updated December 9, 2014
3.5

Daniel Sullivan
1 Rating

Nice place to work and a great place to develop your career

Current Employee - Product Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at PowerAdvocate full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company puts a lot of effort into providing a great working environment and culture with monthly social gatherings and several outings a year. Growth, while not amazing, is continuing and there is a lot of opportunity for career development - either by promotions or by learning enough to qualify for your next position. For the right people they can also be very flexible about working arrangements and have a large number of remote (WFH) employees.

Cons

No matching 401k!

It's hard to work less than 45 hours a week here as sometimes the pressure to meet objectives (and improve revenue) is so strong you feel that lives ARE at stake!

Provide a matching 401(k)!

"Incompetent management Nurturing Incompetence....."

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at PowerAdvocate full-time (less than an year)

Pros

None that I can mentioned. It's been a down hill ride from the day one!

Cons

Too many to mentions, but ones that stick out the most...archaic management. No strategy, just fortunate to be still be in the business, but that's changing too!

Senior management keeps upto themselves, not interaction with the staff. Some of the senior management guys should have long gone. High headed, no knowledge sharing, new ideas are not appreciated. Work adds no real value to the career.

Get your act together. Listen to the people who work for you. Give away with the favoritism attitude, promote people based off performance not who is good at buttering up.

Need a strategy to survive!

Fantastic Opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at PowerAdvocate full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a forge-your-own-path type of company. They want you to show initiative, take on more responsibility, and plow your own way by finding what you like and then doing it well. It is the epitome of "work hard, play hard" with the company events and culture. You do see it a lot more when you are outside of the office with co-workers, but it is also evident in the numerous company events like the ski trip, monthly happy hours, golf tournament, company picnic, and holiday party.

I am so thankful that I found this company and the opportunities it has given me.

Cons

No one is ever going to say to you "Hey, you're taking on a lot, do you need help?" You've got to speak up and manage your workload.

There seems to be some resistance to hiring new employees in the technology side of the business. This is causing some uncertainty.

I came from a company with 401(k) match and ESPP. As a private company, you can't have ESPP, but I do miss the assistance in setting aside money.

Keep up the positivity.

Great company, co-workers and culture.

I have been working at PowerAdvocate

Pros

Young entrepreneurial environment
    Innovative company
    Opportunities for growth
    Bright, hardworking co-workers
    Reasonable work/life balance

Cons

Compensation could be more competitive for the area

Make compensation more competitive

Nice place for young professionals to expand career.

I have been working at PowerAdvocate

Pros

New challenges and new opportunities
    Instant decision making and moving fast
    People are fair and friendly
    Good team work

Cons

Not very competitive compensation
    Winter in Boston is and long and cold

Make overall compensation more competitive comparing with industrial average.

Cronism breeding incompetence

I have been working at PowerAdvocate

Pros

The TOP senior managers (CEO, COO) do a good job at maintaining profitability. They haven't made any mistakes that truly hurt the company. From what I could discern, they have actually have done a pretty good job at growing the company.

Cons

This company is totally archaic! They are atleast 3 to 5 years behind other companies when considering Technology. I think this is because of the incompetance of those leading the technology group.

Some senior managers do NOT deserve to be in the position they are in. It is absolutely amazing to me that the company can survive with such incompetent people in decision making positions. It is obvious to all new employees that some managers are in their current position because of seniority and NOT because of merit.

Also, there is a lot of pettiness that goes on here. It seems that most people want to preserve their jobs via political maneuvers instead of by hard work and merit. It's quite pathetic, and for a small company is incredibly pronounced and deleterious. Talk about DEAD WEIGHT trying to cling on and choking all the youthful energy from the place.

Just because someone started with the company when it first began, does not mean that they are competent. They were just merely lucky enough to hitch their wagon to a winning team. Now they are DEAD WEIGHT and dragging the whole company down. You will never grow with such malignant cancers in your company.

PowerAdvocate Great Company and Management

I have been working at PowerAdvocate

Pros

PowerAdvocate has a great team environment with challenging work, assignments that are different from project to project, strong leadership, growing company.

Cons

The growing small company atmosphere is becoming big, which is bringing about a culture change, which leads to the top leadership being distant from lower levels.

Enlarge bonus pool for all employees so the whole company benefits from success, please keep the close culture that makes PowerAdvocate special.

PowerAdvocate review

I have been working at PowerAdvocate

Pros

Flexible work schedule, never had a problem taking time off, very young company, average employee age in the high 20s, provide IRS maximum for tuition expenses

Cons

Switching to more of a tech focus than consulting, sub-par pay for all but technology group, don't count on raises or bonuses, no permanent stock options

Gve employees ownership in company with real stock options, provide better feedback, communicate with employees, pay employees what they are worth

Great place to work

I have been working at PowerAdvocate

Pros

PowerAdvocate is a very open and collaborative working environment. The Work is challenging and rewording.

Cons

As PowerAdvocate has very few employee levels, promotions and advancement opportunities are slow.

Retain the loose structure for future growth.

Really Enjoy working here!

I have been working at PowerAdvocate full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have been working here for 2 years and I really enjoy the company. There is a lot of Freedom to step up and take charge of situations. Management encourages you to take some risks and wants you to succeed. I really enjoy working with my team and actually don't mind getting up in the morning to come to work. The company culture is great and we have a lot of cool events. (First Friday Drinking Meetings, Beer in Fridge, Company BBQ, Awesome XMAS party.)

Cons

Sometimes employees can end up being here longer than they should. No matching 401K.

I think we need to focus more on being a technology company. I think we are in transition now. and are gradually moving away from services.