PowerAdvocate

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Daniel Sullivan

Nice place to work and a great place to develop your career

Product Manager (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe company puts a lot of effort into providing a great working environment and culture with monthly social gatherings and several outings a year. Growth, while not amazing, is continuing and there is a lot of opportunity for career development - either by promotions or by learning enough to qualify for your next position. For the right people they can also be very flexible about working arrangements and have a large number of remote (WFH) employees.

ConsNo matching 401k!

It's hard to work less than 45 hours a week here as sometimes the pressure to meet objectives (and improve revenue) is so strong you feel that lives ARE at stake!

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide a matching 401(k)!

Fantastic Opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThis is a forge-your-own-path type of company. They want you to show initiative, take on more responsibility, and plow your own way by finding what you like and then doing it well. It is the epitome of "work hard, play hard" with the company events and culture. You do see it a lot more when you are outside of the office with co-workers, but it is also evident in the numerous company events like the ski trip, monthly happy hours, golf tournament, company picnic, and holiday party.

I am so thankful that I found this company and the opportunities it has given me.

ConsNo one is ever going to say to you "Hey, you're taking on a lot, do you need help?" You've got to speak up and manage your workload.

There seems to be some resistance to hiring new employees in the technology side of the business. This is causing some uncertainty.

I came from a company with 401(k) match and ESPP. As a private company, you can't have ESPP, but I do miss the assistance in setting aside money.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the positivity.

Great company, co-workers and culture.

ProsYoung entrepreneurial environment
    Innovative company
    Opportunities for growth
    Bright, hardworking co-workers
    Reasonable work/life balance

ConsCompensation could be more competitive for the area

Advice to Senior ManagementMake compensation more competitive

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice place for young professionals to expand career.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsNew challenges and new opportunities
    Instant decision making and moving fast
    People are fair and friendly
    Good team work

ConsNot very competitive compensation
    Winter in Boston is and long and cold

Advice to Senior ManagementMake overall compensation more competitive comparing with industrial average.

Cronism breeding incompetence

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe TOP senior managers (CEO, COO) do a good job at maintaining profitability. They haven't made any mistakes that truly hurt the company. From what I could discern, they have actually have done a pretty good job at growing the company.

ConsThis company is totally archaic! They are atleast 3 to 5 years behind other companies when considering Technology. I think this is because of the incompetance of those leading the technology group.

Some senior managers do NOT deserve to be in the position they are in. It is absolutely amazing to me that the company can survive with such incompetent people in decision making positions. It is obvious to all new employees that some managers are in their current position because of seniority and NOT because of merit.

Also, there is a lot of pettiness that goes on here. It seems that most people want to preserve their jobs via political maneuvers instead of by hard work and merit. It's quite pathetic, and for a small company is incredibly pronounced and deleterious. Talk about DEAD WEIGHT trying to cling on and choking all the youthful energy from the place.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because someone started with the company when it first began, does not mean that they are competent. They were just merely lucky enough to hitch their wagon to a winning team. Now they are DEAD WEIGHT and dragging the whole company down. You will never grow with such malignant cancers in your company.

PowerAdvocate Great Company and Management

Manager (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsPowerAdvocate has a great team environment with challenging work, assignments that are different from project to project, strong leadership, growing company.

ConsThe growing small company atmosphere is becoming big, which is bringing about a culture change, which leads to the top leadership being distant from lower levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnlarge bonus pool for all employees so the whole company benefits from success, please keep the close culture that makes PowerAdvocate special.

PowerAdvocate review

Manager (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsFlexible work schedule, never had a problem taking time off, very young company, average employee age in the high 20s, provide IRS maximum for tuition expenses

ConsSwitching to more of a tech focus than consulting, sub-par pay for all but technology group, don't count on raises or bonuses, no permanent stock options

Advice to Senior ManagementGve employees ownership in company with real stock options, provide better feedback, communicate with employees, pay employees what they are worth

Great place to work

Manager (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsPowerAdvocate is a very open and collaborative working environment. The Work is challenging and rewording.

ConsAs PowerAdvocate has very few employee levels, promotions and advancement opportunities are slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetain the loose structure for future growth.

Really Enjoy working here!

ProsI have been working here for 2 years and I really enjoy the company. There is a lot of Freedom to step up and take charge of situations. Management encourages you to take some risks and wants you to succeed. I really enjoy working with my team and actually don't mind getting up in the morning to come to work. The company culture is great and we have a lot of cool events. (First Friday Drinking Meetings, Beer in Fridge, Company BBQ, Awesome XMAS party.)

ConsSometimes employees can end up being here longer than they should. No matching 401K.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think we need to focus more on being a technology company. I think we are in transition now. and are gradually moving away from services.

Great place for young technology professional to grow career

Pros- Great company culture (beer fridge, happy hour fridays once a month, ski trip, golf outing, company bbq, great Xmas party)
    - Hard workers are promoted and compensated
    - VP of Technology gives development teams a lot of freedom, only stepping in when bad ideas have a potential to hurt our platform
    - Great lead architect is leading the group forward in technology
    - Use of Scrum keeps developer hours to 40 hours a week
    - Technology is quickly becoming the main part of the business

Cons- No 401k match
    - Too much emphasis on Ivy League schools by CEO and COO especially for techonology