PowerPlan Reviews

15 reviews filtered by
3.8
PowerPlan CEO John Andrus
John Andrus

1. Collaborative enviornment with great benefits!

I worked at PowerPlan

Pros

Great company in which to start your career. Good training for recent college grads. Good starting salaries with excellent benefits package. Friendly, respectful culture. Beautiful office space.

Cons

Certain departments are understaffed leading to long hours for some.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

If you like to travel

I worked at PowerPlan

Pros

Great benefits and good group of people/peers

Cons

Too many chiefs (VPs) and not enough worker bees

Company for Intelligent Self-starters that Rewards Initiative

I have been working at PowerPlan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Top Tier Initial Compensation with likely double digit earnings percentage growth YOY
    No-Premium "Cadillac/Gold Plated" Health Insurance ($15 per doctors visit (including Specialists), $150 / Emergency Room, Medications: $15/25/35)
    Free Life Insurance at 2X Annual Salary
    2 Months of Paid Training
    16 Days of PTO + 10 Paid Holidays with increase after 2/3 years
    Flex Travel on Weekends
    Generous Travel and Expense Policy
    Free Beverages and Snacks (Wall of 20+ different snacks at all time)
    Small Teams: 2 Individuals on a project team median
    High Level Client Exposure: Because of the small project team size, if on a project with a larger System integrator (Accenture, Deloitte, etc.) you will be sitting across the table with partners going over project status
    Nimble Culture: Small enough such that if there is an initiative or work effort that you want to get involved in, the likelihood is that you will get the opportunity
    Community Building: Monthly "Celebrate You" events with champagne and beer to celebrate project go-lives, birthdays and babies, Annual Braves game outing with the whole company, Fun Committee takes responsibility in planning other social events throughout the year, People are friends outside of work and travel/go out on the town together
    High Client Retention: Zero lost customers over the time of the company; ~250 Employees to ~120 Customers, De Facto Standard for for the industry allows us to charge Premium consulting services rates and premium license rates, allowing the company to take very good care of it's people
    Transparency: Visibility into corporate decisions is becoming significantly more transparent over time
    Very Smart People: Recruiting Process has very stringent GPA requirements and people that end up joining are very ambitious and intelligent
    Penthouse Office Overlooks new Atlanta Braves Stadium

Cons

Technology underlying the software is being encapsulated in newer technologies
    Like all consulting positions, Work Life Balance can be difficult
    Leadership changes, while necessary in any growing company, were not entirely smooth in transition
    Steep Learning Curve: Double edged sword; while difficult initially, increases personal value to the company and clients over time

Advice to Management

Do more to keep existing employees happy. Offering higher salaries to newer employees in a desire to grow the company without bumping up the existing employees does not engender loyalty
    Do Everything in your power to maintain the strong corporate culture even in the face of inevitable ownership changes/corporate strategy
    Continue to recruit sales people that "know something"

5. Great Company, Strong Values.. but could use better guidance

I have been working at PowerPlan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PowerPlan has a very Competitive Salary, lots of responsibility, great opportunity for growth and promotion. The product is great and a very strong value driver. Overall the company has a strong foundation.

Cons

Leadership has been misled at times. Work life balance is not great. Travel is frequent and should be expected. Product GUI is rather dated and overall technology platform is old.

6. Amazing benefits, smart and nice people, gorgeous office, competent management, opportunities for career growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at PowerPlan

Pros

As an employee who has been here for 3 months, I couldn't be happier. This environment is unsurpassed. The employees are valued and treated so well. The people are friendly and super-smart. FABULOUS benefits. Amazing culture. Office politics are non-existent. I'm so happy to be here.

Cons

Literally none that I see

Advice to Management

Please continue to treat the employees as you do now. What an incredible culture we have. Thank you for the unsurpassed benefits small and large.

Dead-end consulting job, antiquated product in niche industry

Former Employee - Software Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Software Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at PowerPlan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay, all expenses paid-- consultancy perks

Cons

It's consulting, I'm not going to complain much about work life balance. What I complain about is the extremely outdated, hierarchal company structure with little room for growth and improvement. Employess will be working with an outdated product (looks like its created in 1998) using an outdated language. Clients are utility companies and other extremely uninnovative industries, so this company has no incentive to improve their product or innovate. You will learn little to no skills worth having after going through this company, and it will not improve your chances of being hired anywhere else, as it is a niche and unheard of consulting company.

Advice to Management

Please don't report to delete my reviews, especially if they're actually honest assessments of my time at your company, I will just repeat them. I want to make sure people know what kind of company Powerplan is. Improve your antiquated, old-man culture, and release a product that is worth selling. Stop using your employees like slaves and glugging them with your lame corporate kool-aid.

Mar 10, 2015Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback.

PowerPlan’s customers operate in a complex and highly-regulated business environment, so it’s important for us to balance technological innovation with

8. Employees and Customers are most important

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at PowerPlan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company culture is truly amazing. Everyone is extremely bright and motivated and collaborates without any of the politics you see or hear about at other companies. The product truly adds a ton of value for our customers and there are no real competitors who can do what we do which makes the company and business model very strong. Over the last year there has been a big push to make everyone feel valued as an employee and there are tons of fun company wide and department wide events and perks that truly make working at PowerPlan a lot of fun. I can talk to my direct manager about anything and the CEO himself is very transparent and truly cares about everyone here and will frequently walk the halls and see how people are doing. Our customers love us which is not something most software companies can say and it makes projects that much more enjoyable. Not to mention they pay very well and have a very generous bonus structure if you work hard and prove your worth.

Promotions are based on ability and results and there is ample room to take on as much responsibility as you want to handle. Myself and others took lead roles on big projects in less than 2 years. The work is challenging and is not for people who want a normal 9-5 job or are not interested in doing any technical work. It is a software company so you should be ready to dig into the software (SQL).

Cons

As with any growing company, there is constant review of our internal systems such as document management systems which can use a lot of improvement. Management has realized this and is looking for alternatives but sometimes it is painful during the transition period.

A year ago there were far fewer employee recognition programs and team events, but that has changed drastically in the past year which has made working for PowerPlan go from good to great.

Advice to Management

Continue improving communication and transparency as you have been over the last 6-12 months. Things have come a long way but there is always more work to do.

Bad place to start a career

I have been working at PowerPlan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay with other consulting jobs. The average coworker is friendly and helpful.

Cons

Extremely dated technology. The product's quality is completely embarrassing and unacceptable in a lot of modules and a good portion of working time is spent dealing with its shortcomings. The technical and functional skills built here are not transferable to any other industry (with the exception of nebulous "consulting" experience). If you're a recent or soon-to-be college graduate, you can do a lot better than here.

Advice to Management

Stop being so conservative in business decisions. The product was innovative and acceptable quality-wise 15 or so years ago but lack of investment and leadership since then has seen it fall far behind what is expected from a modern company in 2014.

Mar 10, 2015Manager, College Recruiting

Thank you for the review.

PowerPlan develops product roadmaps taking into consideration the scale of the global companies we serve, their complex business environment and the changing
    ... More

10. PowerPlan is a growing company, but is not meeting its targets and the product is very dated.

I have been working at PowerPlan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the people are nice and easy to work with. Compensation is average to above average and healthcare is free.

Cons

Product is outdated. It's based around PowerBuilder, which hardly anyone uses anymore, and the front end of the application is not friendly to end users. Lots of turnover this year. Lots of travel is required unless you live in Atlanta and can find an opportunity in the office. Management is spotty and young.

Mar 10, 2015Human Resources

We’re happy to hear you enjoy working at PowerPlan. We have designed a very competitive benefits package, which reflects our commitment to hiring the best and the brightest.

In a fast-growing
    ... More

Competitive pay, dead end technology in an extremely niche space

Former Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at PowerPlan full-time

Pros

They compensate competitively with big name consulting organizations and their office is very top notch.

Cons

The product is built on very antiquated technology most of the skills you will learn here as an entry level employee are not transferable to other companies and industries. They solved a problem with their original product line, but have not done much innovation recently. Additionally, those who leave and try and remain in the industry are threatened with legal action.

Advice to Management

Make up your mind, you are either a services company that has a software product that is putting way to much focus on development, or you are a software company putting way to much focus on services.

PowerPlan Photos