Powerhouse Animation

www.powerhouseanimation.com

Powerhouse Animation Reviews

3.5

Brad Graeber

A positive and rewarding work environment

I have been working at Powerhouse Animation

Pros

My time at Powerhouse has been by far my most rewarding and satisfying job to date. The staff is extremely talented and motivated to work hard, and upper management is encouraging and involved with the day to day artistic production of the rest of the team. I have had nothing but positive experiences working here and feel that there are many opportunities for growth-- both personal and professional-- at this company.

Cons

My only complaint is that there are a few employees whose disinterest, negativity, and refusal to improve occasionally impacts the rest of the office. Otherwise I have overwhelmingly positive things to say about this company and my time working here.

Thank you for your commitment to this company and its employees. It is truly exciting to work somewhere that is fun, creative, AND successful.

Fun culture, substandard pay

I worked at Powerhouse Animation full-time

Pros

The employees are fun, great people. Very laid back atmosphere, and the projects can be fun to work on.

Cons

You will work very hard and often be asked to work extra hours for abysmal pay. Several talented people working here work paycheck to paycheck or have supplemental income from a spouse or second job.
    Unprofessional behavior by some employees and higher ups.

Compensate the talent.

A starting place.

I have been working at Powerhouse Animation

Pros

There are some good reasons to work at Powerhouse. You'll meet, network, and become friends with nice geeky people who are artists, animators, gamers. If you do not have industry experience, you add some on the resume by working here. Art books from various employees are scattered throughout the office.

Cons

The wages are not competitive on either a local or national level. In order to work at Powerhouse Animation and live in Austin, you will have to have multiple jobs, roommates, and another means of financial support. The perk really is what one of the previous reviewers mentioned: a bagel a week.

Work is not assigned based on the employee's work experience, and depending on what you have been assigned, you might not get decent portfolio pieces for your next gig - which is a big set back if you want to continue working as any type of artist.

The work environment has a negative side because some of the employees and higher-ups do not behave professionally. I've heard and seen things that should not have been at a place of work.

In order to avoid being shunned further by professionals, leadership would have to compensate the talent, be open to suggestions, not tolerate unprofessional behavior amongst staff, listen to feedback, hire less homogeneous employees, and shell out for real health benefits.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Rewarding and filled with opportunity.

I have been working at Powerhouse Animation

Pros

The staff at Powerhouse is second to none. I've never been (or heard of) a place of work where everyone gets along so well, on a personal as well as professional level. The opportunity for advancement in the company is there for those who want it, but not forced on those who don't. The benefits are good, as is the pay. A standing "open door" offer from the founders of the company encourages a line of communication between management and staff.

Cons

As with any other company in the industry, there are seasons of the year when its an oddity to not have worked a great deal of overtime, and though communication is encouraged, it sometimes is not as effective as one would hope.

Perhaps in addition to bagels on Fridays, we could enjoy them on Mondays (or perhaps the rest of the week) as well?

Not just a job but a career. So glad I found this place.

I have been working at Powerhouse Animation

Pros

You wont find a harder working group of talented folks in animation. There is a true sense of camaraderie between every one, that has continued to grow as the studio has gotten larger and taken on bigger jobs.

Cons

The work can be intense and every so often there is need for a crunch period, which can be common when working in games and advertising. but thanks to the work ethic of the other people at the studio this doesnt happen as often as it could.

continue to develop the talent keep giving people the classes and opportunities to play together and learn together. more days in the park! ;)

Great people, good fun..... Just a wonderful place to work!

I have been working at Powerhouse Animation

Pros

Very laid back, fun place to work with different jobs all the time. Good pay, good hours, and great people to who work there.

Cons

Can be very busy at times and the work can be very challenging. This can be stressful, but at the end of the day you feel like you accomplished something and you are making cartoons for a living.

Thank you guys for teaching me so much. You really go out of your way to have classes, bring in special guests, and provide opportunities to learn more and better myself as an artist and an animator.

Frustrating but managed to learn some new things and meet some nice coworkers

Former Employee - Animator  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Animator in Austin, TX

I worked at Powerhouse Animation

Pros

There are several talented animators working here who will go out of their way to share you their knowledge. Because it is a specialty studio, there are a variety of projects to work on. I met some nice people here, and still consider them my friends. Offer 401k and will match a certain percentage.

Cons

Poor executive and mid-level management. Poor communication among supervisors. Experienced harassment from one supervisor in particular. Poor pay & benefits. The climate there can be insular and gossipy.

Get some qualified and caring supervisors in place who know how to manage people effectively. Increase your pay to something closer to industry standard. Get some better benefits. Discourage gossip and harassment.

A company full of fantastic people, great atmosphere, and quality animation.

I have been working at Powerhouse Animation

Pros

The people are a great group to work with every day - like a family.
    There are a lot of opportunities to move up within the company.
    There are a wide variety of jobs at a given time, which keeps your work stimulating and challenging.
    Higher profile clients are bringing in new and exciting work.
    Powerhouse offers great benefits for their employees.

Cons

With the variety of jobs comes with a variety of clients and deadlines. You must develop good project managing skills.

I think it's time we schedule another Powerhouse Animation Studios day in the park. Or some indoor activity during these hot times.

Worked for Powerhouse Animation? Contribute to the Community!