Practice Fusion

Practice Fusion Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Practice Fusion Founder, CEO, and Chairman Ryan Howard

Ryan Howard

It was very challenging and extremely fast paced

Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsIt was a great team enviroment, people were friendly extremly helpful and several room to grow

Consinteraction with developers due to methodology used.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Don't judge a book by its cover

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere are some really great people here, but a lot of great people are leaving too (shouldn't this be a sign?!). Dog friendly, food, booze, and a FitBit are all pretty good perks.

ConsThe pay sucks, the expectations are high and at times unreasonable. It seems as though a lot of the goals are pulled out of thin air with no real planning on how to meet/exceed them. The hours for sales and support are awful. Recruiters lie and tell candidates the OTE is WAAAAAY higher than it actually is. People are not hitting goals, and are not getting paid.

One of the core values is "Listen to the customer and all else will follow" - this is false. The wants/needs of the users are not frequently well received. What kind of user research (if any) is being done? It is pretty clear that design/engineering have no clue what doctors really want out of a software or that the technical ability of a large portion of users is almost non-existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at the negative culture that has been created and try to fix that.

Company will likely succeed, but needs to overhaul their leadership

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsBeing in a very niche health tech industry is very fun, and you get to learn a lot. Company office space just relocated from Tenderloin to an awesome, albeit more quiet space in SOMA. Decent perks with stocked kitchens and a great work atmosphere. Culture is very strong.

ConsVery challenging to work with leadership, poor attitude stems from the CEO. He is very smart and has tons of great ideas, but does not treat others fairly. Flat out rude and disrespectful to people whether at meetings or in front of the entire company at All Hands events. I've seen people consistently throw each other under the bus at the leadership level and it creates a rather chaotic and uneasy feeling amongst the teams. This last year has been crazy with turnover and a lot of talented folks have been either unfairly let go or have quit. The theme of 'lack of career development' couldn't be any more true at this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementI do believe the company can ultimately succeed, but please take notice of the constant organizational uneasiness amongst the employees. Take a close look at what the leadership has done to the climate of the company and ask yourself if this is healthy in the long run...

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Practice Fusion is a walking contradiction

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThere are some really cool people who work here. Working in health tech is fun and very rewarding. The company has an exciting future ahead of it.

ConsThere is no excuse for this company to not be one of the best places to work at in SF. On the outside, the company culture, perks, and opportunities seem perfect. Yet somehow Practice Fusion fails miserably at following through on their own promises.

I do not understand how a company that invests so much (possibly too much) on its 'culture' can miss the mark like that.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop over promising and under delivering. You need to begin living by those strong PF values you are so proud of.

Awesome culture

Technical Support Specialist (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe culture of Practice Fusion is top-notch. There's great career growth if you show initiative.

ConsBase salary is a little low

Great place for Software Engineers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI saw a lot at PF and met a lot of highly talented technologists. If you have a good idea and let your team know you'll probably see it get built. There is a lot of flexibility in Engineering and if you are talented then you can pretty much move into any role you want. It's a great place for contributors who like to work on small agile teams. I'm no longer there but miss my days there. I did see the occasional under-performer get dismissed. Also if you're interested in the well being of the team you'll do well. I also saw the occasional person get let go if he/she had a chronic bad attitude. I personally enjoyed working with high caliber professionals and learned a lot. I left because my commute became something I could no longer handle.

ConsOnce management puts an employee "on a plan" it can be tough to recover. I did see at least one person get put on a plan and then it worked out well for everybody. But if you get put on a plan you need to demonstrate that you want to be productive and you are looking for the well-being of the team. Attitude goes a long way.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the engineers close to the users.

Poor upper management, terrible CEO, lack of structure and career growth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat benefits (food, FitBit, gym membership, cool new building)
    The employees are all good people - they're intelligent and thoughtful, and fun to be around. This is true of the upper management, too - as individuals. Not as leaders.
    Competitive salary

ConsThe CEO is terrible to work with. Interrupts people in meetings, doesn't listen, thinks he's the expert at everything. He micromanages every team. When you run a big company you'd think the CEO would hire people he trusted, but it's clear he doesn't trust any of the senior staff he hired. (not to mention, he's condescending and flat out rude). This sets the tone for the rest of the company. Team leaders are stressed out, scrambling to figure out is expected of them, and therefore strategy changes on a week to week basis. There is poor communication between teams, causing friction and "ownership" problems (too many cooks in the kitchen).

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. Pay attention to the high turnover and what's causing it.

Great opportunity to change the face of health care!

Customer Success Member (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe people that work at Practice Fusion ALL fit the archetype...some of the most brilliant and innovative people you can find anywhere.

The size of the company, and the trajectory at which it grows, allow for individuals with a multitude of backgrounds to find a home here. If you are passionate about the mission, you can find a spot to apply your current skills.

ConsThings move fast...not everyone can keep up. If you are someone that can pivot on a dime, this is not a con! If you want to punch an 8 hour a day clock and stay status quo, this won't be for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to hear ALL of the voices, continue to remember that every employee was hand-chosen.

Egomaniacal CEO, inexperienced/scared execs (see ceo), &abusive culture for women (esp. outside of marketing/service)

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCongrats Practice Fusion, you hit the-unfortunately-common-toxic-tech-culture trifecta! Gave you two stars because I guess it could be worse? Maybe? There is some free food in the kitchen, after all.

ConsDo not expect to be supported at all in a meaningful way, although expect a lot of talk and show about it, which is condescending.

Expect to be told over and over again that you're saving the world.

If you're a woman in a technical role just leave now. It might be ok if you work in a low level marketing/service/sales role, but does that make it ok? This is really the grossest part. PF is a boy's club through and through.

OH YEAH, the pay sucks! Waaaay below market rate. This matters A LOT living in SF!

There is more but not interested in dwelling, just want to get the word out.

Advice to Senior ManagementHR is not just for recruiting, good talent costs money (or at least market rate), saying something repeatedly doesn't make it more true

Practice Fusion Response

May 9, 2014Recruiting Operations Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. While we appreciate your perspective, we believe the evidence contradicts your assertion about women in our culture. As a technology company, we are ... More

Awful culture in Customer Success (Inside Sales, Customer Service, Operations)

Pros-Relaxed culture, great place to make friends (and the way that you will succeed is by making friends)
    -Everyone is facebook friends with one another (incl. senior leadership)

Cons-Inexperienced management that have a defensive attitude
    -Pay is way below market rate, and commission structures do not reflect realistic targets

Advice to Senior Management-Stop focusing on your own career development, and start listening to your teams/shadowing what they do.
    -A good manager is one that recognizes the wins and failures

Worked for Practice Fusion? Contribute to the Community!