Practice Fusion

Updated October 29, 2014
3.2

Practice Fusion Founder, CEO, and Chairman Ryan Howard
Ryan Howard

Young, vibrant company needs help with management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Practice Fusion full-time

Pros

+ Smart, dedicated, awesome co-workers
    + Building a product that can improve healthcare and saves lives
    + Ability to tackle new things outside your job description
    + The perks of a start-up: free food, hoodies, holiday treats, etc.
    + Lots of opportunity for fun

Cons

+ People who work hard and do a good job aren't necessarily appreciated or compensated
    + Expected to work long hours
    + Some management doesn't encourage growth

A simple "thank you" goes a long way.

Seems great, but company has issues

I worked at Practice Fusion

Pros

Great culture, good perks, great location.

Cons

CEO is a bit in over his head. The company isn't transparent to its employees when it comes to financials. A lot of pomp and not much substance. At the end of the day, they are going to get trounced by EHR companies that actually know the market and know what they are doing.

Reality is a good thing. Embrace it and attack the actual problems.

The best of times, the worst of times

I have been working at Practice Fusion full-time (more than an year)

Pros

* Cool, intelligent people (as all reviews agree)
    * Good pay (some in the company have lower salaries (w/ stock options), but now that the company is more established and funded I suspect pay has gone up to attract new people)
    * Free yoga and meditation classes
    * New building (Zenga building) has lots of amenities and fun games in the lobby
    * Non-evil mission
    * Free good booze
    * Diversified revenue channels make a compelling business case
    * Provide decent equity and IPO will probably happen

Cons

* As recent reviews reflect, morale is pretty low in some quarters (though high in others)...good people are leaving, which makes the remaining good people question..
    * Long hours and high stress for many people, especially devs and customer service. This has been justified as a response to big, existential threats to the company, but after seeing a few pushes and the resultant burnout, it doesn't seem justified.
    * Misison is good, but overstated. A lot is made of how we’re revolutionizing healthcare, saving lives, etc. While it’s true the product is on the whole good, and the company is doing some good and innovative things, it is still a capitalist enterprise with the main mission of making money and hitting the IPO. This makes the day to day reality not live up to the often quoted mission statement.

It does appear that some of the dissent of late (as evidenced in glassdoor reviews), is at least being acknowledged. This is a good step, but follow through on promises. Learn from mistakes and listen for good ideas from the ranks. There is one lead engineer in particular who seems to be a rising star and gives me hope for the company (even if I leave). I won't name names, but he cares passionately about the company (more than I do), has made it a point to be in tune with other departments, and has a great grasp on the major problems PF is facing, both technically and operationally.

Good place to gain experience, but the company isn't changing the world.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Practice Fusion full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- great office space
    - lots of snacks and coffee
    - arcade games, ping pong, pool tables, etc. in lobby
    - good inter-team communication
    - plenty of chances to work projects solo and grow experience

Cons

- clearcut hierarchy in the importance level of teams
    - old-school Microsoft program managers
    - low moral
    - poor strategic investment in new technologies
    - difficult to move from one team to another, and promotion options are limited
    - too much focus on design, not enough on UI and maintainable codebases

- give feature teams a year to make an impact, and consolidate them if not
    - design is the cherry on top, not the product

Expect to work nights and weekends; product quality is awful

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Practice Fusion full-time (more than an year)

Pros

* They pay well, give good benefits, and give pretty good equity (at least they did when I joined and they had ~250 employees).
    * You get free food and swag.

Cons

* work-life balance is absolutely awful - you will work nights and weekends on a regular basis
    * product quality is bad, there is more of an emphasis on getting features out on tight deadlines, and the product is super slow and buggy - I am downright embarrassed by our product, and would not use it as a doctor.
    * Company survives purely because of tech support. Most of our users are non-tech savvy (i.e. literally have never used a computer before being forced to by the gov't mandate to use electronic health records). They call in frequently for help with everything. The bugs don't matter at all, because tech support can just teach users workarounds. Slowness doesn't matter because users are comparing our software to pen & paper. A tech savvy user would not use Practice Fusion.
    * You will not advance in your career. You will learn C# .NET & SQL development as a backend developer and HTML/JS & Ember development as a frontend developer, and deployment with Jenkins as either. After the first few months, there is nothing else to learn. The work is pretty mundane: make a UI that lets you add/edit/delete/view something regarding your practice, and make the corresponding backend. That's all the company does. Also, your work hours will leave you no time for classes.

Stop working employees to the point of high stress and burnout! Stressed developers do not function well, and end up writing poor quality code, which causes many more hours to be spent down the line dealing with the mess. You're better off just developing the product right the first time, with developers who are well-rested and refreshed. Slow and careful coding is more productive in the long run, especially at a larger company like PF. Plus, quality developers will leave due to burnout, and you will have a harder time finding quality replacements if PF develops a reputation for high-stress and long work hours.

Give us time to develop quality features. Yes, this means allowing a LOT more time for development. You can either:

1. have a poorly functioning product with lots of features, that users will ultimately hate
    2. a robust, well functioning product which has just the essential features users need, and will put competitors products to shame.

Which would you rather have?

Best place I've ever worked at

I have been working at Practice Fusion full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Office culture is incredibly strong.
    Dogs are allowed in the office.
    Weekly drinking.
    Fitbit given on start day.
    Alot of culture on personal wellness.
    Healthy food.
    CEO knows how to lead the product.
    Did I mention monthly parties?

Cons

The job is cut throat, do a terrible job and expect to be axed. If that's too much for you then stay away from startups.

Keep on keeping on. Up and to the right.

Great workplace overall

Current Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Practice Fusion full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun, supportive, and open company. This business is growing fast and making a positive impact on society. There is a strong sense of community between employees and management tries very hard to support a healthy relationship with employees and happy workplace.

Cons

It's a startup, so the work is hard and fast due to always trying to save on spending.

Better Get Their Act Together Quickly..

I have been working at Practice Fusion full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Like many have specified previously, the people are the glue that holds this company together. Tons and tons of insanely bright people work here, and they really put their heart into the product. It's definitely an important mission and people do wear that on their sleeves as they really want to make an impact in the healthcare sector. Culture is solid, but has slowly worsened over time. Perks are slightly above average. Love having the dogs around, they keep me sane!

Cons

While it is true that the people are the glue of the company, slowly but surely the glue is coming undone. Crazy organizational changes over the last 6 months. It's a combination of people being let-go, 'forced' out, or quitting. Seeing all this change from the sidelines is really starting to impact my psyche at work. Given the lack of trust in senior leadership across nearly all the teams, I'm definitely now worried about the long-term future here. Every month it seems like things are getting worse and I wonder how/if they can turn it around. Would definitely say we're lost right now, and I'm starting to second guess a lot of things.

Stop over promising and really try to nurture the overall deteriorating company morale

Powerful mission led by less than stellar leadership team

I have been working at Practice Fusion full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The mission is what keeps most employees - changing the way healthcare is captured and shared. Most companies don't focus on changing things for the better, so it's a nice relief to be a part of something "bigger" and beyond just making money. The "perks" are limited, and that's okay - the company is being smart and not spending a ton of money. They provide organic snacks, Friday lunches and happy hours for all, yoga on-site: a lot of great stuff. Most of the people at PF are friendly and approachable with dogs all around the office.

Cons

Leadership: The company's "leadership" the heart of how our "culture" should be exhibited is a mess. There are "leaders" in roles that have never EVER been close in life to doing what is expected of a leader and most likely will never be the best person for the role. Most of them have no vision, add no strategy, are "yes men" to the CEO and that is it - it is obvious they look up more than down and they don't care.

Culture: They talk about it A LOT, but haven't done anything. I'm pretty sure they believe that culture is decorations, happy hours, and games - which is fun stuff and appreciated, but it's not culture. How about how you run the business? Is there integrity in our product, does the customer come first, should we develop scrappy? All questions we can't seem to answer or ones we ignore.

Leadership team: the way you keep people is not through games and happy hours, you keep them by opening the dialogue, by being honest, by having a motivating vision, strategy, what is 2015? 2016? What do we have, what do we need? You need to be able to make tough calls and back them up. Stop pointing fingers at each other - we are all on the same team, no seriously STOP IT. It's uncomfortable the tension that exists between leadership members --- embrace the team and be a leader. Stand up for what is right, not what is easy.

It was very challenging and extremely fast paced

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst

I worked at Practice Fusion as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was a great team enviroment, people were friendly extremly helpful and several room to grow

Cons

interaction with developers due to methodology used.

None