Practice Fusion Reviews

71 reviews filtered by
4.0
Practice Fusion Founder, CEO, and Chairman Ryan Howard
Ryan Howard

Pros
  • The perks of a start-up: free food, hoodies, holiday treats, etc (in 7 reviews)

• Great culture and office feel, very noisy but fun (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The theme of 'lack of career development' couldn't be any more true at this company (in 3 reviews)

• This isn't really a con, more a warning that this is an extremely fast paced environment, not for the weak hearted (in 3 reviews)

1. Rewarding work with great perks.

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Practice Fusion full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great culture, super friendly employees, free lunch, monthly company events, room for growth.

Cons

Extremely fast paced. Learn to adapt quickly or you'll have a hard time keeping up.

Management is very transparent about how the company is doing against its goals. Everyone should always know how they are doing and contributing to the overall company goal.

Young, grateful and follow instructions without question - if you fit these categories, great place to work!

Current Employee - Customer Service
    Current Employee - Customer Service

I have been working at Practice Fusion full-time

Pros

- Dog friendly office - cannot say enough how great this is
    - Lovely kitchen, free food, snacks and drinks - all pretty healthy
    - Great young team of eager hardworking kids fresh out of college looking to make their mark

Cons

- Insane reactive managers who are ego-driven to micromanage to the point of insanity
    - Sweatshop-like conditions in the support team = high churn
    - Product releases that consistently cause such massive user issues that the entire team is on the phones at 5/6am every post release, handling 1000s of calls from frustrated users

- Get an MD on board and get them working with product on UX and UI design, and workflows
    - Take more time to work out bugs and glitches instead of continuous releases that create more bugs and glitches - cascade effect
    -Hire more experienced managers in Ops and CS that know what it is to delegate, and work smarter not harder. There is no need to run around like a dog chasing it's tail just because you are a start up. You don't constantly have to be rushing from meeting to meeting and on call 24/7 just because you are a manager - it IS possible to be a startup and have competent managers who ask "why" when asked to execute on a random idea and "what for" when asked to implement a new process. Questioning validates, and can create massive efficiencies, you should try that sometimes, instead of having a stable of underlings who agree with everything just because a manager said so!
    - Value difference and difference of opinion - it creates constructive conversation and fosters creative outcomes. Reliance on one or two people for every decision creates silos of knowledge, and damns you to following a path that might be littered with errors that could have been spotted if more people were included in the sweeping decisions that impact whole departments.
    - Transparency and respect - show some respect to ALL employees, even the lowly CS reps might have valuable insight into what works best for customers.
    - Practice what you preach, but do it smart. Being scrappy doesn't mean working hours of overtime on projects for no good reason. Weigh up what you ask of your employees - is it worth it? What do you expect to gain? Simple steps to happier employees.
    - Get rid of the ego-driven micromanagers. You want to IPO? Hire some real talent, instead of promoting people who don't know the first thing about managing people and teams effectively.

3. Mission + Vision + Execution

I have been working at Practice Fusion full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This place is massively impactful to the community around us. Millions of patients are served by Practice Fusion every month. From an internal perspective, this happens because there is a huge focus on execution. There's little pontification when a decision is made, which is extremely rare, particularly in healthcare. The result is a mission that is incredibly impactful.

Cons

If you're not executing, you shouldn't be here (and you likely wont!) It's a martixed organization - if you don't play well with others, you may want to rethink coming here, as we're interdependent on others and we embrace this.

Love the recent Phenomenal Fridays - they feel like the old days. Open Dialogues are great - love the 1:1 time with Ryan and the other execs.

5. I can't imagine a better first job for my career

Current Employee - Business Development in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Practice Fusion full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Practice Fusion was my first real job right out of college. I was on the customer success team assisting in conveying the company's value proposition to doctors, as well as onboarding them. From there I moved to the Business Development, working on strategic partnerships with labs, imaging centers and other services that connect to the platform and drive value for our doctors and patients. All in all the company has a tremendous culture and the leadership cares both about the team members, as well as the impact the company has on the world. They are highly ethical and set the bar high for any other place I pursue a career.

Cons

It can be competitive when a new job is announced as there are a number of team members on the customer success team that are looking to grow their career. If your hungry and persistent, you can make a transition, but you have to work for it. It's also an incredibly complex space that will take the average person 12-18 months to have their bearings.

It's an amazing place. Keep up the great work with the communication and keep hiring great human beings, as you have been.

6. Great Vision and Culture

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Practice Fusion full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Definitely a great company to work for. The leadership team has a great vision and really works to take care of the team while working towards that vision.

The company emphasizes culture quite a bit and offers many perks and events around that. Like many tech companies in the bay area catered food, snacks, and alcohol on Fridays.

All in all, a solid business model in an industry that is thriving and due to certain legislation doesn't look to be going anywhere anytime soon.

Cons

Sometimes there might have been too much emphasis on culture and culture fit - with good employees being overlooked because they didn't quite fit in in a social sense.

Due to the nature of the user base, the business, decisions around releases and the prioritization of bugs it was often placed a lot of added responsibility for the Customer Service team to smooth things over and repair those relationships-- to appoint that the sheer volume was overwhelming.

I know that there are a lot of aspects of the business that I didn't get to see but I believe it would help to be very transparent when things break or are changing as to what you are doing (or not doing) to fix that and why. I think that the majority of the user base is smart and reasonable and just needs to be clued in. Maybe a "Word From the CEO" Explaining some aspects of how things work around there and why this is a unique time. Also, I think i would help to explain why these changes need to happen. Often times the users felt like they were left in the dark and drew their own conclusions that we weren't doing anything and really didn't give a damn ( which of course is not the case).

7. The Best Company in Digital Health

I have been working at Practice Fusion full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is a place where when you come in each day you can see your contribution. Your work matters. It can literally lend to making millions of people healthier and save lives. That's the feeling I have every day when I do into the office.

Cons

Healthcare is a incredibly complicated space. I have witnessed team members who have not been in the space before be challenged by the complexity of the regulatory and competitive landscapes. Be prepared to learn if you are going to come here.

Open Dialogue and TGIF are welcome additions to understand what we are doing as an organization. Keep it up.

8. Learning, earning, having fun and helping people

Current Employee - Vice President of Engineering in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President of Engineering in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Practice Fusion full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are fantastic, the culture is very strong, there are a ton of programs for the teams (leadership, mentorship, wellness, yoga, meditation), the product is beautiful and we are solving a huge and important problem.

Cons

There's a tremendous amount to learn. Depending on your function, this can be daunting - especially if you're cross functional. Also, there are product releases each week which makes it challenging to keep up with the featureset.

There's big a huge focus on communication and transparency this year with open dialogue - keep doing this.

9. Incredible place to work, team and culture

Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Practice Fusion full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I am a newer team member and this is hands-down the most progressive place I have had the privilege of working at. The entire team is composed of incredibly bright people, who at the same time are great human beings. Everyone here is super focused on making people healthier, and it's a major motivator for me personally - to know that at our work is helping other people.

Cons

Nothing I can think of.

Don't let up on the focus on hiring and developing great people - they will ultimately be what determines if the company is successful or not.

Stressful Environment to Work

Former Employee - Customer Success Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Success Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Practice Fusion full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Providing a free EMR to doctors and patients. Benefits were great.

Cons

Working in Customer Success was a nightmare! I dreaded coming to work everyday. The company was pushing new release out but there were still tons of glitches from previous releases that still needed to be fixed. We were constantly lying to customers.

Stop belittling the team members by showing their metrics to the company. Give more opportunities for growth.

Horrible Management

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Practice Fusion

Pros

The company culture was great outside of the customer success department.

Cons

The worse management I have ever experienced. Engineering always released new features that did not get thorough testing, so life was hell in customer support.

Please try and focus on your employees growth and development. Stop holding back your employees and allow them to advance within the company.