Pragmatic Works Reviews

Brian Knight

1. SQL Mecca

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Pragmatic Works full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Intravenous connection to Microsoft, SQL community and the top people who love it.

Cons

To succeed consistently, you gotta love it enough to invest your personal time into it. It is part of the culture, and if you love what you do, it works. If technology is just a job, then eventually you'll burn out on the constant need to learn new technologies. But that is the case in IT no matter where you are.

Advice to Management

Keep up with the "no sacred cows" and innovation to look at what things "can be" instead of what they "are".

2. Leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Pragmatic Works full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company, you work hard, but it is very rewarding.

Cons

Smaller company, benefits are getting better.

3. Support Engineer

Current Employee - Support Engineer in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Support Engineer in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Pragmatic Works full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I come from a Mortgage Banking/Underwriting background. After having spent several years within that field I was left unchallenged and disappointed with the career path I was leading. After a nationwide layoff at the company I was previously with, I was approached by a good friend about an IT consulting company that was/is growing exponentially. At first, I was discouraged, because I didn't feel I had the knowledge base or the "gull" to jump into a completely different field than what I was accustomed to. But, in the words of Henry Ford, "If you continue to do what you have always, you will always get what you always got." It was time for me to make a change. IT is a strong thriving industry and I wanted to be a part of it, no matter how long it took to establish footing. After taking an online assessment, PragmaticWorks offered me a seat in a free SQL Server Foundation training class. In one week, I went from completely illiterate on the things DB related to making progress in my learning and understanding. Though I was by no means proficient, they saw the potential I had and invested in me. I was approached after the training class and offered an internship. Within one week, I was offered a position with this great company, PragmaticWorks. Since that day, my life and mindset has completely changed. I am challenged intellectually and am excited to be a part of this company. There is a clear plan to follow (at my own pace) to afford me the chance to move on to the next level within the company. PragmaticWorks rescued me from a life of job instability. I look forward to paying back to this company, threefold, what they have and continue to provide to me and my family.

Cons

To me, there really aren't any cons that exist. I have only been a part of this team for about 10 months now and probably haven't established enough of a solid footing that my opinion would hold much weight on a judgment call. I am just pleased to be working with the group of people I do in my day and to finally know where I am heading in my career.

5. As far as consulting goes it is one of the best places.

I have been working at Pragmatic Works full-time

Pros

In my time at Pragmatic works I have been very satisfied overall and have grown my technical skills through the knowledge of fellow colleagues. The support to be active in the community is a great benefit if you enjoy speaking and sharing your knowledge. Management is generally very approachable and will give you feedback both positive and negative.

Cons

No defined career path and for senior consultants you can reach your ceiling rather quickly.

Advice to Management

With the rapid growth of business flexibility is something that should be considered and changes in business process and management structure should react with the changes in business. Having a more structured and defined career path for all consultants.

Pragmatic Works Response

Apr 3, 2015 – CEO

Thanks for leaving this constructive comment. I'd love to communicate you more with your comment about the career path if you feel comfortable approaching in person via email, slack or phone or to ... More

6. I'm sticking here until the day I retire ... I like it here that much!!!!!

Current Employee - Named Account Manager in Salem, NH
    Current Employee - Named Account Manager in Salem, NH

I have been working at Pragmatic Works full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Work to Life Balance. * Telecommute whenever needed for whatever reason (weather, sick child, car broken, sick with a cold, etc.) * Get the latest technology from Microsoft. * Open Door Policy for Management * Plenty of Time Off & Vacation Time * Upward Mobility * Employee Owned * Fun, Smart and very approachable Owners * Culture & Mission is not just a 'thing', it's our mantra

Cons

* Benefits are good, though the cost for a family is a little high (understanding though because of the size of the company). * The only real pitfall would be onboard Training for new sales people. It was intensive, thorough and complete, but over time, it has waned. Having been here 4 1/2 years, I find I am providing the same information, the same tips & tricks to each new hire. * Communication is also something everyone struggles with. Many times, information is verbally provided to some people, but not to others. That VIP information is not then sent out via email, and is troubling when you do not have all the facts.

Advice to Management

Communication is King. Remember that 'Every Second Counts' and stop hiding behind emails when a call or a short team meeting would be more productive.

7. The type of place people want to work.

I have been working at Pragmatic Works full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

PW has the best open door policy I have had in a workplace and I think that really says a lot about the type of company they have. I have been continuously impressed by this time and again since I started at Pragmatic Works. Whether you are happy about something or upset, managers encourage feedback as they want to grow and improve together. The company is made up of a staff full of knowledgeable employees in the tech community who are continuously striving to better themselves. It is encouraging and contagious!

Cons

Better training plans from day 1 of hire would help to ease new employees into their new role.

8. Positive thoughts as recent addition to the team...

I have been working at Pragmatic Works full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really sharp, knowledgeable coworkers. Great atmosphere. All the tools are provided to get results. Responsive leadership.

Cons

I really can't think of anything for my team, but we only represent a small but important piece of the company.

Advice to Management

I think you should keep doing what you're doing.

9. Best Consultancy in My Career!

Current Employee - Senior BI Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior BI Consultant

I have been working at Pragmatic Works full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Having worked at a top-level consultancy before (and a few that weren't) my view is our company is doing great! Competitive salaries, lots and lots of training benefits, good managers who listen and help us achieve more and a decent work/home life balance. Brian, and Adam care about us and really try to help each person grow. Opportunity is what you make of it and if you end up working here, all I can tell you is bring your 'A' game. You will be surrounded by a lot of very smart people with very high standards. Many of them are authors, Microsoft MVPs and industry luminaries. These are also people willing to help us become THEM! I'm still on that journey so I appreciate it even more. If you choose to not participate it's all on you. Consulting is a tough but also rewarding business.If you don't succeed at Pragmatic Works it might be better to consider another line of work.

Cons

I'm not normally so positive about my employer (any employer) but I can't think of anything or anyone I don't like. I know we can all improve but one constant message has been to tell them what the problems are so they can help! How can you beat that?

Advice to Management

Keep on helping us be our best -- you're doing a great job!

10. Great Job, Great Opportunities, Great People

Current Employee - Consultant in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Pragmatic Works full-time

Pros

Opportunity to learn new technologies, work across industries, good pay, employee-owned company, great people to work with, many experts in the field on our team, laid back atmosphere, great company culture. Working here at PW has rocketed my career. Opportunities to speak at community events like PASS Summit, SQL Saturday, SQL Rally, etc. Opportunities to work as an author on multiple books

Cons

sometimes travel can wear you down (consulting, duh) although management does work to keep this in check, expected to ramp up on new training materials very quickly sometimes, small company health benefits

Advice to Management

More opportunities for structured internal training as we offer additional services and products around big data, the cloud, power BI, etc.

11. " Best Company I have ever worked for "

Current Employee - Enterprise Territory Account Manager in Salem, NH
    Current Employee - Enterprise Territory Account Manager in Salem, NH

Pros

I have been employed here at PW on the Sales side for almost two years and with out a doubt believe this is the best company I have ever worked for. The company culture is excellent it's more of a family than an organization. Everyone's opinion is heard and valued and the management / upper management to CEO level all work very closely to create a fantastic work environment.

Cons

In the industry of bleeding edge technology organizations like PW need to stay above the cusp. My only con would be that processes change often and would like to see a new process tested in a smaller controlled environment before being introduced company wide. Other than that no complaints what so ever.

Advice to Management

Great job guys! Keep the good times rolling..

RSS Feed </> Embed