Pragmatic Works

Creative, fun and rewarding

Current Employee - Sales in Salem, NH
    Current Employee - Sales in Salem, NH

I have been working at Pragmatic Works full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As a sales rep I love the companies reputation and offerings. Finding customers is never easy but Pragmatic Works is such a cool company 99% of my customers know and love us. I am much farther ahead in my career because of this company.

Cons

Constantly learning. Technology changes often and you have to be open and embrace change.

Keep it up! Love the bonus programs :)

Disappointing

I have been working at Pragmatic Works full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of training materials, most are very good except sadly the ones from Brian Knight. All the materials were presented well in a narrative manner, but Brian inappropriately seems to love hamming it up and is the only who is also on camera. But he is the CEO and very smart.

Cons

Expected to train nights and weekends. Impossible to balance work/home if you happen to have kids

I believe that management is a little too smug to consider any advice.

Pragmatic Works Response

Apr 15, 2014CEO

Being a consultant is tough and I can most certainly agree with your con statement above. Being a consultant in IT and especially at Pragmatic Works means you must be at the top of your game. That ... More

Most fun job I've ever had

Current Employee - Senior BI Consultant in Middleburg, FL
    Current Employee - Senior BI Consultant in Middleburg, FL

I have been working at Pragmatic Works full-time

Pros

Pragmatic Works (PW) is a great place to work. PW has been by far the most positive workplace experience I've had.

Working with experts in the industry (MVP's, speakers, teachers, MS) is a wonderful perk of being an employee of PW. Working alongside people with such knowledge who are humble and ready to teach is definitely a huge pro. Since working at PW, my knowledge of the MS BI stack has increased exponentially.

Another pro is the opportunity to speak at PASS event and to work as an author, contributor, and technical editor on books. Since working at PW, I've been a contributor and technical editor on several published books. Also, since joining PW, I've spoken at many SQL Saturday events, SQL Rally, and PASS Summit to thousands of people. Outside of PW, I never would have had these opportunities.

Management also clearly lays out their expectations and are ready to work with me on any challenges I may be facing. Whether its a challenge with learning a skill or a challenge in my personal life, management has always been there ready to work with me in those areas. It's not often you find managers who legitimately care about their employees. The management at PW is exceptional in this area.

The company culture of PW is also unlike anything I've ever experienced. I've never met a group of people who are so qualified and considered experts in the field and yet are willing to take time out of their day even after business hours to sit and teach or talk through a particular scenario. The culture of PW is one of learning, humbleness, and excellence in everything we do. I couldn't ask for more in this area.

If anyone had the opportunity to work at PW, I would personally recommend they take that opportunity. I have never regretted a day here.

Cons

Traveling can sometimes be a challenge, although management has always been willing to work with me in this area even through deaths in the family and babies being born. Traveling could also be considered a pro, but that would depend on the person.

As an employee of PW, we are also required to speak at different events including online webinars or SQL Saturday's. If you're afraid of public speaking then this could be an issue. I, however, enjoy speaking and enjoy the learning that steams from preparing to teach.

Carry on! Stay close and connected to your employees, especially as PW continues to grow.

Best career move I ever made

Current Employee - Senior BI Consultants in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Senior BI Consultants in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Pragmatic Works full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have worked at Pragmatic Works a little over two years. In that time I have learned more than any other job I've had. I've been challenged, and rewarded, not just in terms of money (although that's nice) but in terms of recognition and opportunities. I've had the chance to participate in several books, and have been supported in terms of my community speaking.

There is travel involved, which is a mixed blessing. On one hand, it does take me away from my home and family. On the other hand, I've gotten to see many areas of the country that I might not otherwise get to see. In addition, it has given me the chance to speak at many of the areas I visit, giving me the chance to become better known at the national level. Pragmatic Works does its best to keep us below 50% travel, so far my travel has not exceeded 40% of my time on the road, if that much.

And when I'm not traveling, I work from home. For me personally this is great. I often work on my back deck, using VOIP and screen sharing tools with my clients, or just developing new code on my
    own or as part of a team.

I’ll admit Pragmatic Works is not for everyone. You have to be a real “Type A” over achiever personality to want to work here, someone who wants to be not just average but successful and well known in your career. A large percentage of our senior staff are, like myself, Microsoft MVPs in SQL Server, book authors, and well know public speakers.

If you are that type of “Type A” person, if you want to achieve those types of goals in your career, Pragmatic Works is definitely the place to be. They give you every chance to be successful, help you find opportunities to meet your career goals. I can say quite honestly coming to work for Pragmatic Works was the best career move I’ve ever made.

Cons

As I said, travel is a mixed bag, fortunately I have a good family situation that allows me to travel.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Pragmatic Works fosters a creative and highly fulfilling work environment.

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Middleburg, FL
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Middleburg, FL

I have been working at Pragmatic Works full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

At Pragmatic Works the senior staff feels like friends and the company is a tight-knit community. Employees are encouraged to think outside the box and take initiative on projects. It is a relaxed work environment where employees are trusted to complete their work in a timely and efficient manner without heavy monitoring and regulation. I feel very valued here and genuinely love working at Pragmatic Works.

Cons

My only con is that the office is located somewhat far from where I live so I have to travel quite a bit daily, but this is not a reflection on the company in any way.

Great work life balance and they support/reward for community envolvement

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Pragmatic Works full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employees are encourage to participate in the Microsoft SQL community through volunteering and presenting. You are also rewarded for this participation on a quarterly basis!
    Reviews & goals are set quarterly instead of yearly, so you know where you are multiple times through the year.

Cons

None so far, haven't had any complaints!

Pragmatic Works Photos