Pragmatics

4 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Pragmatics, Inc

Former Employee - Systems Administrative in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Systems Administrative in Washington, DC

I worked at Pragmatics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful company – Well managed – Approachable Team leads - Great benefits – Participate in the Metro SmarTrip program -

Cons

Still growing/expanding - Smart Management - More promotion from within - Need more contracts

Continue to do what you do so well.

Pragmatics Response

Jan 21, 2015Chief Operating Officer

Many thanks for your positive comments. We strive to do our best.

Top Notch experience

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Pragmatics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Employee benefits are superb with bonuses and 401-K contributions. Vested immediately

Cons

Minimal communications of company business initiatives with employees at dispersed work sites; no effort to redefine job after gov't contract ended.

Conduct a talent search within Pragmatics for competes on new contracts. Loads of talent in various subsidiaries, i.e. ISI that is unknown to management.

Pragmatics Response

Jan 21, 2015Vice President, Human Resources

Very much appreciate your positive comments. Thank you for your feedback especially on the positive changes we made to 401-K and bonus plans. We can always improve our transition on contracts and ... More

The Best of Government Contractors

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Pragmatics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

*Strong internal processes. It's hard for managers who may not want you to shine too much to keep you down.
    * Excellent Pay. They offer good money from the start for what you can do for them and pay via performance and offer multiple opportunities per year to get a raise. No frat club snobbery here, you're judged by what you bring to the table and they LIKE intellectuals and serious techies
    *Good Benefits. Education/ Skillport/ College Support, good vacation and other "standard" benes people tend to skip on these days, annual party, happy hours, occasional lunch covered
    *For all the things I say below, they are a steady company overall. If you can get on a strong contract, or multiple contracts, you're golden
    *Very little nonsense, and there's much to be said for it

Cons

*Overtime pay doesn't happen often. You'd have to pass 96 hours in a period to get anything extra.
    *Strange Mom and Pop dynamics in upper management. Sometimes your phone gets collected or some other dumb thing happens because someone close to the big cheese gets involved and what they say goes. It's weird little stuff though and nothing that couldn't be dealt with.
    *The government isn't as strong as it was for a steady gig. I loved the place but they didn't keep the account. They're steady overall but if you lose your gig, there's some support but not a great chance you'll stay. I could have a taken a more fun gig, but I took this one because I thought it would be steady. No such luck.

None really. Just keep doing your best. It looks like the younger guy in the upper echelon is smart and cool, and the big cheese is actually pretty cool too for the most part. General Manager was just moving into his space when I left, but he's the real deal. I'd love to see you guys sell to the private sector so there are more fun things to do.

Job without excitement

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Pragmatics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Job has some stability, Paychecks are on time.

Cons

Company benefits are good on paper, no funding for employee education program. Small consulting firm where salary is your total package.