Prairie Farms Dairy

Updated September 23, 2014
Updated September 23, 2014
2.4

Ed Mullins

Production first, life and family maybe later.

Former Employee - DAiry WOrker in Granite City, IL
    Former Employee - DAiry WOrker in Granite City, IL

I worked at Prairie Farms Dairy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This is a union shop with good pay and benefits. Management is approachable and improving on several levels. The bid process allows movement to better jobs and shifts by seniority. Training is always available.

Cons

Huge weekend scheduling conflicts exist on a weekly basis. There is massive overtime and little to no time for personal life. Currently being addressed but morale is at an all time low.

Standardize the schedule to allow for a more stable work environment. Implement an immediate stress relief program for all employees.

Behind the times

I worked at Prairie Farms Dairy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Low pressure, easy going culture

Cons

Compensation is below industry average, promotions are far and few between.

Let folks do their job!

No loyalty , hard work doesn't pay.

Current Employee - Route Sales in Terre Haute, IN
    Current Employee - Route Sales in Terre Haute, IN

I have been working at Prairie Farms Dairy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

In the beginning it was great. Only for the truth to come out little by little over the years. You do build relationships with a lot of great customers. Where friendships happen & your willing to please them to keep business flowing. I enjoyed my hours. Also the benefits ( ins) were great. Pay was decent , vacation time was ok. There are a few non back stabbing co-workers along with a sales manager that seemed to care about our well being & treated us with respect.

Cons

Devoted my life & time to this company. Only to have it break my body down, from the job itself. But in my time of need they only want to kick me to the curb. Putting up with years of verbal abuse from our branch manager and constant stress. Too add more fuel to the fire -heaven forbid you have a family emergency , are sick, or happen to be late cause of a flat-then you are treated like crap. Now on another note, if you are with the company for over ten yrs , you would think with that devotion from you to the company they would be willing to help you out. (On an ending note-it seems that management never does wrong)

Fire all the 'snakes hiding in the grass' that milk the company dry & treat their employees like crap. Especially when yr boss uses the company property(while intoxicated) & accounts for their own personal use. They seem to get away with everything. But we make a mistake & he cusses us out. And by the way, yes it was reported to upper management.

Disappointing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hazelwood, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hazelwood, MO

I worked at Prairie Farms Dairy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It's a job but only if you live to work , not work to live. Had nice orange vest for loadout. I had 19 plus years in and just like that, I'm out of a job along with almost 100 of my brothers and sisters.

Cons

Dealing with monster egos of majority of mgmt. Supervisors always kissing up to the ceo and board of directors. Too much deceit. The total failure of accountability for ANYONE in mgmt. It was so much easier to blame the workers and sell that BS to the powers that be. Always reactive, NEVER proactive. They only believe in ruling through threat and fear. Never thinking anything through but rather just throwing it out there and blaming the workers when THEIR idea doesn't pan out. It's all about the almighty dollar so NEVER EVER expect any consideration for the individual. As the top big shot at Hazelwood said, "it's not personal, just business". That same person (who shall remain nameless), by the way, also famously said that he didn't care if the plant shut down, that he'd just retire. Odd comment considering that he was hired for the purpose of keeping the plant open.

The next time you close a plant, why not tell the media the truth. You know...truth...remember....the opposite of an untruth. Remember, a lie of omission is still a lie.

Continously challenging, pressure to meet time lines, continously adding on more work as employee's leave or are let go.

Former Employee - Accounts Receivabe Manager in Hazelwood, MO
    Former Employee - Accounts Receivabe Manager in Hazelwood, MO

I worked at Prairie Farms Dairy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Continously challenging, pressure to meet time lines and the freedom to be creative in designing reports, graphs etc.

Cons

Because of the consolidations going on everyone was stressed not knowing if you will be the next to me laid off which obviously why I am writing this I lost my job due to consolidation.

Too many chiefts and not enough indians. No one knew from one day to the next who our boss was or what "additional" boss we now have. All those meetings and yet not one office meeting to hear from us or collaborate on an idea that would benefit the company. Bias to males.

Prairie Farms is a wonderful company to work for.

Former Employee - Dairy Specialist in Granite City, IL
    Former Employee - Dairy Specialist in Granite City, IL

I worked at Prairie Farms Dairy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Union employees, great supervisors, good hours

Cons

None at this present time

None

Don't expect a life if you want to be successful here.

Current Employee - Warehouse in Battle Creek, MI
    Current Employee - Warehouse in Battle Creek, MI

I have been working at Prairie Farms Dairy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I have had an oppourtunity to work with some amazing people, co worker relationships have been the strongest here, and management is very dedicated, even if they aren't dedicated to satisfying employee needs.

Cons

At this time, fellow employees attempt to make others look bad for personal growth, there's no care or concern for employees time with family, and often 6-7 days a week seems to be the only way to get our customers covered. There is a terrible, disorganized mess on second shift at this time, that should be immediately addressed. There is very little noticable respect for employees who work nights, often times being the only group of workers who have to be there on holidays and Sundays.

Create a rotating 4 day work week with twelve hour shifts, so your employees can regroup, rest and have time to get their business done within their lives. You will find moral of your work force improve greatly. Otherwise, I can see more drivers leaving, as well as some cooler staff, something which at this time, you can not afford. Also, at the corporate level, personal days/sick days on top of the vacation time offered would be a nice perk, as well as allowing H.R. to cut checks for unused vacations or develop a roll over policy with time unused.