Prairie Meadows Racetrack & Casino

Prairie Meadows Racetrack & Casino Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

Gary Palmer

Prairie Meadows has a great corporate culture and takes care of their employees

Intern (Former Employee) Altoona, IA

ProsNon-profit organization that compensates its employees well. Decent benefits and likes to promote from within.

ConsIf casino side you deal with a lot of cigarette smoke and some nasty customers.

I want to pull my hair out with the bi-polar feelings this place gives me.

Supervisor (Current Employee) Altoona, IA

ProsHas good pay for entry level work, as well as good benefits.

ConsLots of Drama, huge interdepartmental breakdowns, unethical management.

Advice to Senior ManagementShift managers are unethical to their employees. As well as Asst. Shift and Leads actually have relations with employees that are very inappropriate.

Great Company and Benefits

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Altoona, IA

ProsPrairie Meadows offers great benefits. Prairie Meadows offers a challenging environment and the people there support what you do.

ConsPrairie Meadows is 24/7. It's not a 9 to 5.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe CEO when I worked there was Gary Palmer. He was a very inspirational leader. Keep up the good work, knowing that I worked for a company that had such a wonderful and direct impact to the community is awesome.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent Benefits

REVENUE AUDITOR (Current Employee) Altoona, IA

ProsExcellent Benefits- really exceptional health care and 401K contribution matching.

ConsBusiness is open 24hrs/day, 365 days/year. So I work week-ends and holidays.

Great Pay, Benefits and Coworkers

Server (Former Employee) Altoona, IA

ProsThe pay is great. A lot of employee incentive plans. Depending on what department you are in, good management.

ConsPlace is turning into a micromanaging nightmare. Working nights and weekends---although expected.

Dont even bother. Money is good, but the pressure is suffocating.

Casino Supervisor (Former Employee) Altoona, IA

ProsBenefits are very good if you can dodge the landmines

ConsBrutal Pressure from Human Resources to rule with an iron fist. No one has room to breathe, and firings are fast and furious. Attendance policy is brutally harsh. Not nearly worth the money and benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet people be human and make some mistakes once in awhile

A pretty good place to work depending on what you are looking for in a job/career.

Table Games Dealer (Current Employee) Altoona, IA

ProsThe pay is good for the job performed. Most people working there are very easy to get along with the immediate supervisors are great. You don't have to take your work home with you which is a huge plus--keep everything at the door. The compensation package is remarkable. Room for growth if given the time and effort.

ConsExpect to work nights, weekends, in a very non-stable and non-healthy environment. Smokey atmosphere, negative attitudes, very dirty--handling of money, table games cheques (chips) exchange on a second-to-second basis. Perhaps by nature of working nights and weekends, upper management is almost never visible and hard to get a hold of. HR is only open days, so it requires coming in on time off to see them. Expect to work holidays. Table games dealing is only for the bold, strong stomached, and strong headed.

Work is Work!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Altoona, IA

ProsGreat Benefits, great people not management to work with. Pretty easy jobs, no need to worry about work hours and environment.

ConsManagement sucks, everybody expects you to suck up to Management. No proper rewards or recognition other than having a 1 year, 5 year and 10 year $50 gift card.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be more open since the employees just dont work for compensation and benefits though they are great. Open you eyes

While Des Moines is a nice area, the casino's are not.

Floor Supervisor (Former Employee) Altoona, IA

ProsOk, it was better than Terrible's Lakeside casino and the Meskwaki casino in the area.

ConsTable Games Management is extremely frightened of the Dealers' Union and sides with them ALL the time, no matter what the issue. The Floor Supervisor's are not allowed to correct or counsel a Dealer no matter what the issue. The company is so politically correct and strictly controlled, it would make you think that you were taking part in George Orwell's '1984'. Management issues the evaluations to the Floor Supervisors for completion, but alters them afterwards to their specific liking making the evaluation biased. Hiring discrimination also occurs at this company and Human Resources fails to properly investigate matters of suspension/termination.

Advice to Senior ManagementTerminated the Table Games Senior Management and hire/promote personnel that have experience in the real casino industry. Eliminate the Dealers Union as well.

Good money

Table Games Dealer (Current Employee)

ProsThe pay is good and the benefits are great!!!!

ConsSmoking in the casino is still legal...ick!!

Worked for Prairie Meadows Racetrack & Casino? Contribute to the Community!