Prairie River Home Care Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.7
CEO

1. Wonderful, Wonderful Company!

I have been working at Prairie River Home Care full-time

Pros

I have found the management teams to be very caring - demonstrate concern for both patients and employees. Very ethical. Supportive upper management, I can always get my questions answered in a timely manner.

Cons

Home health care environment is highly regulated - lots of laws, regulatory requirements that don't add value to patient care. This company tries to make it as easy as possible for clinical staff but that can be difficult. Out of their control!

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employees out in the field and incorporate their ideas.

PRHC Cares!

I have been working at Prairie River Home Care full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked at PRHC for 7 years. I would not change it. I work for a company that is caring and compassionate to not only the clients but also the employees. The team I work with is wonderful and I couldn't imagine working for anyone else in this day and age with the amount of uncertainty in many careers. I find my managers honest and trustworthy, and the company as a whole operates with the integrity I would want in a company caring for my own family.

Cons

I have nothing to contribute in this area as I am happy where I am at and am thankful to work for a company that cares about its clients and employees so much.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

3. Job satisfaction

I have been working at Prairie River Home Care

Pros

Very caring people/ownership, concerned management on work-life balance

Cons

benefits, length of time for a change to happen

5. "A company truly dedicated to quality patient care and professional, hardworking staff".

I have been working at Prairie River Home Care full-time

Pros

Very progressive company with management commitment to high quality patient care services. True dedication to helping employees achieve their professional goals with opportunities for growth and development.

Cons

Very busy caseloads but management is always trying to recruit for more assist.

Overall a decent work experience in home-care nursing.

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Prairie River Home Care

Pros

Having a great client helps, and some of the low level office staff were supportive. I was awarded a $25 gift card for employee of the month so they do provide some rewards. The salary was pretty good for an LPN.

Cons

The original help wanted ad said that health benefits and a hiring bonus were available. Neither were true. The health benefits were the exact same cost if you bought individual insurance on your own. I asked about the bonus 3x over the next 6 months, and then gave up. The nurse manager admitted that I qualified for it, but I was never given it. They did not offer Direct Deposit, and my mailed check often arrived on a day I was working past bank hours. They did not offer paid OT until you worked 48 hours a pay period. They eventually had to give me a years worth of back pay for the OT I worked, because the Feds forced them to start paying for over 40 hrs. That check was over $1200.

Advice to Management

Get direct deposit.

7. Treat their people well.

I have been working at Prairie River Home Care full-time

Pros

They recognize good performance and reward it. Lots of emphasis on doing the right thing, especially for the client. Willing to go above and beyond in unique circumstances that lots of big companies would not even listen to.

Cons

Wages and benefits can sometimes be limited as the payments are fixed by the State of MN and insurance companies.

Advice to Management

More training for field staff if inexperienced.

Good job, but expect greed and tricks from the top.

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse

I worked at Prairie River Home Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay was not bad for an LPN. I made $19 an hour and only had one patient to take care of for an 8 hour shift. For every hour I worked, the company took in about $32 an hour from the govt, and gave me $19 of that. Job satisfaction depends a lot on the patient you care for and their family since that is whom you have daily contact with, not the company.

Cons

The problems I had, came right from the very top. I responded to an ad in the paper that offered "health insurance" and it also said "ask about hiring bonus". When I was hired I did ask about the bonus, and they said I was eligible. Over the next few months I asked again 3x and finally gave up. I never received any hiring bonus, but it wasn't worth putting up a fight. I was eager to get the health insurance, but when I looked at the price, I realized it was the exact same amount that I paid for individual health insurance through BCBS. I brought this up to an RN manager and she acted surprised. I told her that Prairie River does not offer health insurance, they simply offer you the option to buy your own at full price. This was before the ACA, I don't know what they do now. The first year I worked for them, I was told by the office staff that if I work more than 48 hours a week, I will get paid for OT. For example, you get your regular salary for working 47 hours in a week. I worked a lot of overtime, so the office staff liked me. Somehow the government heard of it, and a few years later I was given back pay for all the overtime hours I had worked over 40 hours. Another thing I hated, was that they mailed your two-week checks to your house instead of offering direct deposit. Why? Probably because it saved the company a few dollars, since it sometimes took days before you could get to a bank to cash it. That was infuriating, and I asked the bank to contact the company. The company refused it.

Advice to Management

Greed at the very top is the problem. See the 4 examples above.

9. Horrible to work for - can't wait to get the hell out!

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Prairie River Home Care part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None that I can think of in my years with this lame ass company. Stay away from them if you want a job that will count for something in the future. If I had known it would suck this bad, I would have just remained unemployed or worked retail until a hospital position could be obtained. Most hospitals do not consider home care experience worth anything so best to just not waste your time with it.

Cons

incompetent staffing, frequent turnover, no advancement unless you are willing to be a kiss ass, no pay increases, benefits cost way more than you make, snooty attitude from those in office positions which many never had formal training/education for The amount that is paid to employees from the amount charged to the client for service is ridiculous yet pay cuts were made a few years ago because of Medicare changes and the company still cries that profits are just not there - BULL5hiT!

Advice to Management

pay attention to your employees, dress a little more professional in the office (lay off the hoochie makeup and low cut, cleavage popping tops) hire competent and experienced people to work in key areas like STAFFING

10. Manager

Former Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Prairie River Home Care full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Small, casual, office feel. Nice people to work with.

Cons

Poor pay and very expensive benefits for employees. All decisions come from Corporate. Very unorganized. High turnover.

RSS Feed </> Embed