Pratt & Whitney

www.pw.utc.com

Pratt & Whitney Reviews

Updated Jul 12, 2014

Paul Adams

Pros
  • Pratt allows work life balance / telecommuting but it depends on your boss(in 21 reviews)

• Employee Scholar program is unmatched by any other company(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay starts out decent but levels off after a few years to just cost of living increases(in 11 reviews)

• IE, "Work life balance is very important" but requires unpaid overtime often and consistently(in 6 reviews)

Good company

Business Planning Analyst (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsOffers training, good pay and benefits.

ConsIndustry Downsizing and changing work environments

Advice to Senior ManagementNo stated advice to management

Over 28 years of service, great experience great journey

Director and Program Manager (Former Employee) East Hartford, CT

Prosplenty of freedom of decision making

Conscompany still can be reduced smaller

Advice to Senior Managementwork harder

Overall, there are pros and cons.

Engineer (Former Employee) East Hartford, CT

ProsThe pay was decent, and tuition assistance benefits were really good, although they cut it back a little bit. As long as you keep on the good side of management, you can do well.

ConsIf you work extra hard (long hours) to get your work done, you get rewarded with more work. It is intentional and systemic, with no limit. Even people pulling all-nighters get the same treatment. Trying to be creative to be extra productive can be career limiting. Don't buy the company line about being an out-of-the-box thinker.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe ACE metrics often drive the wrong behaviors. Bring back the consultants you started with, and build the ACE/Lean culture around that.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Rewarding experience

ProsGreat Company, culture, product line

ConsToo large, work gets diluted, less visibility

Great Company, Great Job

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

Prosflexible hours, great pay, great experience

Consnot really anything negative to say

It was a decent job for a contractor.

Jet Engine Technician (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsNot afraid to spend money on the best.

ConsDid everything at least twice.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick with the game plan.

good company, has had some struggles though

Intern (Former Employee) East Hartford, CT

Prosthe pay was good, co workers friendly

Conssometimes forgotten about, not managed properly

A great place to learn and hopefully grow

Principal Engineer (Former Employee) Middletown, CT

ProsVariety probably says it best. Pratt/UTC at least when I was there had job postings galore so you could move around pretty easily every few years or so. Tuition reimbursement was beyond words and probably the best that ever existed. I know many people with at least three degrees. Me, I have 4-1/2. Most I can honestly say will not aid my career but a few will in my private practice. Thanks George!!!!! UTC had a great idea but it didn't have a large impact on employee retention. I knew more people who left after graduation than stayed because they knew their job was going to be short lived unless of course your in the "Good Ole Boys Club". Travel was extremely generous. Fly business class, eat and sleep like a king and that's without taking advantage of the company. I knew many people who were over the top on the companies dime. I'm talking 1000.00 $ dinners for "business associates and related entertainment". Right "FP aka Diamond F"?? The government gets billed in the end so what the hay.

ConsReasonable job security would be awesome. Don't use too many of the generous sick / family leave days because you will end up on the hit list next round of layoffs regardless of performance. Expect to get at least one zero raise even if your an "All Star". It's Pratt's/UTC way of sharing the pain that most managers and all executives don't have to feel.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so greedy. Focus on what your employees are saying or not saying. We/they really do love our jobs but lip service is just that. Do away with "Rack and Stack" and instead forgo you're raise. Don't intimidate us to donate for United Way every year instead let it be our choice. I know you believe its "Free Will" but when your name is printed on the donation paperwork and your told to fill it out, its really not much of a choice, is it. Dismantle the "Good Ole Boys Club"!!!!

In my 16 years at Pratt & Whitney I had varied experiences and positions both hourly and salary

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) East Hartford, CT

ProsUTC has a very ethical and people focused environment. Their focus over my years has helped with my professional and personal growth.

ConsIn recent years changes in the training format and access has resulted in training helpful to company business growth to be not as visible. There are no longer dates for training opportunities and therefore proper scheduling for departments employees is not possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonesty with employees is critical to a healthy environment, Although I was recently laid off, the honest constructive criticism I have received has been very beneficial. Please promote this communication to all of your supervision. Most but not all understand the power of this communication.

Excellent Company, Quiet Atmosphere

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSteady workflow, integrated business practices, examination of any positive, progressive ideas, team-oriented atmosphere, collaborative

Conspay could be much better for the work each engineer is subjected too, management is often slow to implement new practices in the workplace, lack of communication through hierarchy.

Worked for Pratt & Whitney? Contribute to the Community!