Pratt & Whitney

www.pw.utc.com

Pratt & Whitney Reviews in East Hartford, CT

Updated Jul 12, 2014

Paul Adams

Pros
  • Pratt allows work life balance / telecommuting but it depends on your boss(in 21 reviews)

• Employee Scholar program is unmatched by any other company(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay starts out decent but levels off after a few years to just cost of living increases(in 11 reviews)

• IE, "Work life balance is very important" but requires unpaid overtime often and consistently(in 6 reviews)

101 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

As a mid-level manager, I was able to motivate subordinate personnel to bring out their best.

Purchasing/Operations Manager (Former Employee) East Hartford, CT

ProsPratt & Whitney was the number one jet engine builder in the world.

ConsCompany focused too much on the bottom line instead of R & D to better themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the 'after market' business.

Internship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) East Hartford, CT

ProsFirst summer was great; good team with meaningful collaboration, assignment direction, and a rewarding workload. The second summer had much less direction, which definitely forced me to step outside a comfort zone to take a greater ownership in the assignment. The work was fast-paced and always interesting.

ConsMost recently, it's been a tough culture at the company. There are a lot of frustrated people upset with management, workload, and the direction the company is going for the next few years. I came across an issue recently which led me to believe that the culture & values the company claims to live by isn't taken seriously.

Thankful for the experience but no bright future ahead

Senior Structures Engineer (Current Employee) East Hartford, CT

ProsI work in Engineering as a Structures Engineer. I started here about 2 yrs into my career and this has been an excellent place to cut my teeth. One has opportunity to grow very quickly here in technical aspects such as knowledge, adaptability, & analytical thinking. Very thankful for those skills I've grown. In many respects I feel I quantam leaped yrs ahead of other engineers because those values are strongly engrained in this business.

ConsThis is a very tough place to be an engineer at now and will continue to be in the future. Company culture has changed a lot the past 5 yrs. There's far more work than the company can handle. Simply put there's not enough technical people to do all the jobs properly which put engineers who care about their work in a precarious situation. While the product is interesting the attitude is miserable. A better technical vs. business balance needs to be established. Challenges need to be overcome all branches of the company as one, the brunt of the burden is place on engineering at present. "Execution is key" is a popular tag phrase for management. "Doing a job right", "you make the decision", or "follow through" are rarely spoken words.

Professional advancement and raises are not good at Pratt. This is for two reasons. Pay increases are highly political and who your manager is makes a big difference here. Some managers are very good at gaining clout or being heard, others are not. If you have a manager or pack of people who step to the plate for their employees you'll do OK compensation wise. The other is the merit pool is never large enough to give proper average raises. If you're a diligent, hard working person and enjoy hearing the words "at least you got a raise this year" Pratt is the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within and offer a real career path and opportunities for employees. Management is always moving around and upward, that's evident from the daily announcements. L4-L8 employees would appreciate the same progression and motivation as well, even at the lower level.

You've done a wonderful job hiring a young work force but need to balance that with experience too. Attracting those employees requires competitive pay.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor management and low morale

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) East Hartford, CT

ProsPratt & Whitney offers a lot of perks such as tuition reimbursement and having UTC on your resume is a serious plus when looking for your next job.

ConsThere has been three layoffs in the past year and a half with rumors of another in the near future. Workloads are unevenly distributed and morale is at an all time low. While having this experience was very helpful once I decided that I wanted to leave, I would not recommend the company since the work environment is so bleak.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be a reduction in middle management. There are too many managers who do not understand the job of the people below them, which will prove to be a serious issue when they lay off all the entry level employees.

Smart people, great company

Manager (Current Employee) East Hartford, CT

ProsMany opportunities for smart people

ConsOld school, needs more modern approach to the business

Advice to Senior ManagementRetain the best talent

Work environment discourages innovation and creativity.

Senior Analyst, Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee) East Hartford, CT

ProsGreat people, interesting business, expanse of new opportunities across PW and other business units.

ConsLack of incentive compensation for non-managers, decision rights concentrated at the top, flexible work arrangements discouraged, strict adherence to process and policy over flexibility and innovation.

Fun and challenging

Engineer (Current Employee) East Hartford, CT

ProsNearly unlimited resources, freedome to work on your own projects.

ConsConstant layoffs, need to be part of the club to advance. Benefits are ridiculously expensive.

Advice to Senior Managementreward good employees and eliminate the lazy ones

Ups and downs throughout every day

Power Plant Engineer (Current Employee) East Hartford, CT

ProsDecent pay and insurance as well as thoughtful supervisors

ConsNo consideration that yo may have a life, outside of work...

It has been worse but it has been better.

Engineer (Current Employee) East Hartford, CT

ProsThe facilities are ok. My coworkers are the best part of the job. They make the daily grind much better.

ConsCurrent business environment makes the company very cost conscious.
    Many managers lack people skills.
    Business processes aren't as as focused as they need to be, requiring last minute heroics.
    Not competitive on pay.
    Long hours.
    Benefits are getting worse.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to any advice anyone has passed on before

Amazing culture, Intellectually Stimulating Responsibilities

Senior Aerothermal Engineer (Current Employee) East Hartford, CT

Pros- Culture that promotes creativity
    - Rewards merit and technical competence
    - Freedom to innovate
    - Great work/life balance
    - Sky is the limit if you work hard

Cons- Constant lay-offs (3 major engineering lay-offs in 18 months)
    - bright future, but short term financially challenged (expect more layoffs)
    - too much work, too few people

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the great work

Worked for Pratt & Whitney? Contribute to the Community!