Pratt & Whitney

Updated Mar 29, 2014

Pratt & Whitney President David P. Hess

David P. Hess

92 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company to work for, but management loyalty is to the bottom line, not the employees

Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pratt & Whitney full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat people, good benefits, fantastic products.

ConsOpportunities to advance are reserved for those on the inside track, regardless of their lack of experience and capability. This that fit into certain demographics which support management defined quotas can expect a job for life. Everyone else is a potential victim of falling UTC stock prices, which are consistently buoyed by head count reduction.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach in terms of loyalty to employees and opportunities for advancement. Many times what one knows is better than who one knows.

Unfortunate Times

Project Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pratt & Whitney full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe technology is amazing and interesting on the development side. Ethics are a priority.

ConsThere is a powerful waste of talent. It's sad to see salaried engineers with graduate degrees spending hours and hours chasing lost packages and jockeying spreadsheets. The main facilities in Connecticut are dilapidated and embarrassing. The management structure is overloaded with incompetence. Accountability is nil.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let your talented people feel like they are wasting their time and intellect.

Concentration on "Process" and not core competencies is disappointing

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Pratt & Whitney full-time for more than 10 years

ProsVery good engineers and technical folks. For strictly technical folks that are happy to practice their craft - this is a great place to work.

ConsNot the best leadership, a weak ethical fiber & not a fun place to work. Devotion to process and bureaucracy is stifling. Core competencies always take second place to mundane corporate themes such as ethics, diversity and ACE. Given the latest major UTC ethical breach in terms of export compliance (Google "UTC Export Control Violations"), these themes seem to be more window dressing than substance.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some new blood into your ranks, and be brave. If your being instructed to do something that is "dumb", tell your boss its "dumb". Don't just be a yes man. Don't be afraid to consider the opinions of others and outside consultants who know the industry and may provide a fresh perspective. The best things about P&W were always the great industry knowledge as well as a very educated work force through the employee scholar program. Keep the focus on these themes and ensure every area reflects these values. Leverage these strengths to provide a superior value proposition to the customer.

Over 28 years of service, great experience great journey

Director and Program Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Pratt & Whitney full-time for more than 10 years

Prosplenty of freedom of decision making

Conscompany still can be reduced smaller

Advice to Senior Managementwork harder

Overall, there are pros and cons.

Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Pratt & Whitney full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe pay was decent, and tuition assistance benefits were really good, although they cut it back a little bit. As long as you keep on the good side of management, you can do well.

ConsIf you work extra hard (long hours) to get your work done, you get rewarded with more work. It is intentional and systemic, with no limit. Even people pulling all-nighters get the same treatment. Trying to be creative to be extra productive can be career limiting. Don't buy the company line about being an out-of-the-box thinker.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe ACE metrics often drive the wrong behaviors. Bring back the consultants you started with, and build the ACE/Lean culture around that.

In my 16 years at Pratt & Whitney I had varied experiences and positions both hourly and salary

I worked at Pratt & Whitney full-time for more than 10 years

ProsUTC has a very ethical and people focused environment. Their focus over my years has helped with my professional and personal growth.

ConsIn recent years changes in the training format and access has resulted in training helpful to company business growth to be not as visible. There are no longer dates for training opportunities and therefore proper scheduling for departments employees is not possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonesty with employees is critical to a healthy environment, Although I was recently laid off, the honest constructive criticism I have received has been very beneficial. Please promote this communication to all of your supervision. Most but not all understand the power of this communication.

good company, has had some struggles though

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Pratt & Whitney full-time for less than a year

Prosthe pay was good, co workers friendly

Conssometimes forgotten about, not managed properly

Great experience, enjoy assembling the most advanced jet engine in the world.

I worked at Pratt & Whitney full-time for more than 8 years

ProsRelaxed working condition when things are going well.

ConsThe union is detrimental to company prosperity. Layoffs creat uncertainties.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of salary personnel

Temp contract job in warranty processsing

I worked at Pratt & Whitney as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGood group of people. Decent pay for temp job

ConsWorkload very heavy, even for permanent employees, computer SW systems old and clumsy. I hear they have been updated after I left.

Good benefits package, though they're starting to degrade little by little (like all companies).

I worked at Pratt & Whitney full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe benefits are good, the seniority gained here transfers to other UTC companies with you. When you're noticed for going above and beyond, there's bonuses available. These bonuses range from a little gift to a thousand (or even thousands) of dollars.

ConsBecause it's so big, sometimes it's hard to get noticed. A lot depends on who you have for a manager or director, or what teams you are assigned to.

Worked for Pratt & Whitney? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pratt & Whitney reviews and ratings in East Hartford, CT — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Pratt & Whitney CEO David P. Hess. All 92 reviews posted anonymously by Pratt & Whitney employees.