Pratt & Whitney

Updated February 20, 2015
Updated February 20, 2015
3.5

Paul Adams

Pros
  • Pratt allows work life balance / telecommuting but it depends on your boss (in 22 reviews)

• This is a good place to start your career, take advantage of the employee scholar program (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Budgets are ever declining and raises stagnate below cost of living and will get worse (in 11 reviews)

• IE, "Work life balance is very important" but requires unpaid overtime often and consistently (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

116 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Contracted at Pratt for 2 yrs

Current Contractor - Systems Engineer in East Hartford, CT
    Current Contractor - Systems Engineer in East Hartford, CT

I have been working at Pratt & Whitney as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Worked with good people. Flexible hours in my engineering group. Company training shows they promote a healthy work environment.

Cons

Salary employees are expected to work massive overtime with no extra pay. Too much outsourcing.

Pay people for the time they work.

Backsliding but recovery possible

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Hartford, CT

I worked at Pratt & Whitney full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, good benefits, promotions are available if you work the process. Standard 'big-company' allowances for time off, flex time, and alternate work schedules.
    The basics for long life in the market are there, but they need more understanding and support from the upper-level team.

Cons

Occasional leadership miss-steps have slowed progress. There is strong infrastructure in place to make improvements and support the company it could be, but some of the mid-level to upper-level leaders are too old-school to take advantage of it.

To top management: Take a close look at your down-lines; are they really following the ACE principles they are being held to parrot? There are still some concrete-heads in your midst, and quite a few tool-heads as well.

Traditional and Stodgy

Former Employee - Global Operations in East Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Global Operations in East Hartford, CT

I worked at Pratt & Whitney full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company's financial performance is great.

Cons

Employees are not sharing in it, save for job security, maybe?

People are certainly only treated as numbers.

Great people, interesting work.

Former Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer in East Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer in East Hartford, CT

I worked at Pratt & Whitney full-time (more than a year)

Pros

P&W attracts great people to work on fascinating challenges. One of the best parts about working here is the great sense of pride among the engineers with respect to their products. P&W is at the forefront of a fast paced aerospace industry, which makes the work fun and exciting.

Cons

As with many big companies, it is hard to feel like an individual when there are so many other employees. Promotions seem to be based more on completing arbitrary checkpoints and politics than merit or skill. Also, the engineering process is not very open to change. There is a lot of "This is how we have always done it" mentality. Luckily this is primarily among the older engineers, who will be retiring soon.

Pay and benefits are not the issue! Poor management is the problem!

Former Employee - Aftermarket Management in East Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Aftermarket Management in East Hartford, CT

I worked at Pratt & Whitney full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay, benefits, training for new hires, travel, varied assignments

Cons

Lack of appreciation for experience. Difficult to advance if not on the quota list. Company run by finance organization which can be short sighted. Senior management manages for their near term gain (executive compensation) and not the long term health of the company and its employees. Union and management don't have a good relationship hence company has been moving operations offshore for decades!

You cannot lead if your employees don't respect you!

Review for Pratt and Whitney

Current Employee - Global Supply Chain Engineer in East Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Global Supply Chain Engineer in East Hartford, CT

I have been working at Pratt & Whitney

Pros

- Training Opportunities
    - People
    - Salary
    - Challenges

Cons

- Layoffs
    - Benefits have decreased
    - Instability of Job Security
    - Management and Upper Management (trust factors)

If you don't trust your employees to do their jobs and carry out functions on their own then why bother having anyone working below management? There is a cornucopia of talented employees at this company that possess degrees that are through the roof. The knowledge base in this company is incredible. Trust the employees to get the job done. You don't require meeting after meeting to accomplish "nothing." Spinning your wheels over unnecessary matters is not LEAN and is a waste of time for management and employees alike. Pratt and Whitney is "top" heavy and needs to weed out management not lower level salaried staff members so they can bring in more management. The management that is there should be able to adequately handle the workload on their own.

Mfg. Engineer working in operations and technology development.

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in East Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in East Hartford, CT

I have been working at Pratt & Whitney full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are lots of opportunities to work on a great deal of varying projects and areas of engineering. It is a cutting edge technology company and world leader in the jet engine industry.

Cons

Benefits are poor, employee engagement and satisfaction is not truly pursued at an organizational level. The top down organizational tactics stifle creativity of the technical experts.

Focus of profits and executive expectation stifles growth of the employees, making the work environment reactionary when a proactive approach is very much needed.

Internship with Pratt and Whitney

Former Intern - Intern in East Hartford, CT
    Former Intern - Intern in East Hartford, CT

I worked at Pratt & Whitney as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

My team and manager were always very supportive and I was given challenging work. I learned a lot about Excel, analyzing data and monthly/quarter closing procedures. Coming out of the internship I feel as though I have a much better knowledge of what day to day business looks like for a manufacturing company.

Cons

Some of the other interns I know did not get their computers until a week into their internship. They also had trouble getting projects to work on from their manager.

3 Years, Nacelle

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in East Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in East Hartford, CT

I worked at Pratt & Whitney full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The nacelle group was relatively young when I first started. In my 3 years I was able to rotate to 3 distinct roles about once every year. I gained a lot of systems level experience working across various programs and on various hardware. Also was able to travel quite a bit to west coast suppliers and test facilities across the US and also in Canada.

Never got overtime but also never really worked over 40hr/week. Got numerous monetary awards for extra effort

Engine program outlooks are very strong. Company is definitely on the rise in both the military (as PW is known for) and commercial (new Geared Turbo Fan designs)

Cons

In my 3 years, my group expanded from about 12 employees to over 50. There were also numerous people (in the 10s) who quit. As the group was fairly new, there lacked a united set of standard work for new hires to follow and be trained. The group had more of a small company vibe where you just got stuff done and didn't get all caught up in office politics.

Of the people who left, it seemed really easy for them to move within Pratt & Whitney into other roles

Great intern experience!

Former Intern - Hot Section Engineering in East Hartford, CT
    Former Intern - Hot Section Engineering in East Hartford, CT

I worked at Pratt & Whitney as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Amazing products, committed to supporting the warfighter, jet engines are awesome.

Cons

Large corporation, can be bureaucratic at times

Pratt & Whitney Photos