Pratt & Whitney Reviews in East Hartford, CT

Updated August 4, 2014
Updated August 4, 2014
3.4

Paul Adams

Pros
  • Pratt allows work life balance / telecommuting but it depends on your boss (in 21 reviews)

• Employee Scholar program is unmatched by any other company (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay starts out decent but levels off after a few years to just cost of living increases (in 11 reviews)

• IE, "Work life balance is very important" but requires unpaid overtime often and consistently (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

102 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great experience

Former Employee - Communications Specialist  in  East Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Communications Specialist in East Hartford, CT

I worked at Pratt & Whitney full-time for more than a year

Pros

They do a really nice job at developing talent. Compared to other places I've worked they are incredibly professional and highly effective. Very process oriented while also always looking to improve processes. Cannot say enough about my time there.

Cons

Job security. In two years I saw 3 to 4 rounds of layoffs. It's stressful and really hurts morale.

Continue the great job you do with talent development. Cost cutting measures and layoffs have hurt morale. Think of creative ways to engage employees and help them feel more secure.

Internship

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  East Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Hartford, CT

I worked at Pratt & Whitney as an intern for less than a year

Pros

First summer was great; good team with meaningful collaboration, assignment direction, and a rewarding workload. The second summer had much less direction, which definitely forced me to step outside a comfort zone to take a greater ownership in the assignment. The work was fast-paced and always interesting.

Cons

Most recently, it's been a tough culture at the company. There are a lot of frustrated people upset with management, workload, and the direction the company is going for the next few years. I came across an issue recently which led me to believe that the culture & values the company claims to live by isn't taken seriously.

As a mid-level manager, I was able to motivate subordinate personnel to bring out their best.

Former Employee - Purchasing/Operations Manager  in  East Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Purchasing/Operations Manager in East Hartford, CT

I worked at Pratt & Whitney full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pratt & Whitney was the number one jet engine builder in the world.

Cons

Company focused too much on the bottom line instead of R & D to better themselves.

Pay attention to the 'after market' business.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Thankful for the experience but no bright future ahead

Current Employee - Senior Structures Engineer  in  East Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Structures Engineer in East Hartford, CT

I have been working at Pratt & Whitney full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I work in Engineering as a Structures Engineer. I started here about 2 yrs into my career and this has been an excellent place to cut my teeth. One has opportunity to grow very quickly here in technical aspects such as knowledge, adaptability, & analytical thinking. Very thankful for those skills I've grown. In many respects I feel I quantam leaped yrs ahead of other engineers because those values are strongly engrained in this business.

Cons

This is a very tough place to be an engineer at now and will continue to be in the future. Company culture has changed a lot the past 5 yrs. There's far more work than the company can handle. Simply put there's not enough technical people to do all the jobs properly which put engineers who care about their work in a precarious situation. While the product is interesting the attitude is miserable. A better technical vs. business balance needs to be established. Challenges need to be overcome all branches of the company as one, the brunt of the burden is place on engineering at present. "Execution is key" is a popular tag phrase for management. "Doing a job right", "you make the decision", or "follow through" are rarely spoken words.

Professional advancement and raises are not good at Pratt. This is for two reasons. Pay increases are highly political and who your manager is makes a big difference here. Some managers are very good at gaining clout or being heard, others are not. If you have a manager or pack of people who step to the plate for their employees you'll do OK compensation wise. The other is the merit pool is never large enough to give proper average raises. If you're a diligent, hard working person and enjoy hearing the words "at least you got a raise this year" Pratt is the place for you.

Promote from within and offer a real career path and opportunities for employees. Management is always moving around and upward, that's evident from the daily announcements. L4-L8 employees would appreciate the same progression and motivation as well, even at the lower level.

You've done a wonderful job hiring a young work force but need to balance that with experience too. Attracting those employees requires competitive pay.

Smart people, great company

Current Employee - Manager  in  East Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Manager in East Hartford, CT

I have been working at Pratt & Whitney full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Many opportunities for smart people

Cons

Old school, needs more modern approach to the business

Retain the best talent

Poor management and low morale

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  East Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Hartford, CT

I worked at Pratt & Whitney full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pratt & Whitney offers a lot of perks such as tuition reimbursement and having UTC on your resume is a serious plus when looking for your next job.

Cons

There has been three layoffs in the past year and a half with rumors of another in the near future. Workloads are unevenly distributed and morale is at an all time low. While having this experience was very helpful once I decided that I wanted to leave, I would not recommend the company since the work environment is so bleak.

There needs to be a reduction in middle management. There are too many managers who do not understand the job of the people below them, which will prove to be a serious issue when they lay off all the entry level employees.

Work environment discourages innovation and creativity.

Former Employee - Senior Analyst, Human Resources Specialist  in  East Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst, Human Resources Specialist in East Hartford, CT

I worked at Pratt & Whitney full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people, interesting business, expanse of new opportunities across PW and other business units.

Cons

Lack of incentive compensation for non-managers, decision rights concentrated at the top, flexible work arrangements discouraged, strict adherence to process and policy over flexibility and innovation.

Fun and challenging

Current Employee - Engineer  in  East Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Engineer in East Hartford, CT

I have been working at Pratt & Whitney full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Nearly unlimited resources, freedome to work on your own projects.

Cons

Constant layoffs, need to be part of the club to advance. Benefits are ridiculously expensive.

reward good employees and eliminate the lazy ones

Ups and downs throughout every day

Current Employee - Power Plant Engineer  in  East Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Power Plant Engineer in East Hartford, CT

I have been working at Pratt & Whitney full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Decent pay and insurance as well as thoughtful supervisors

Cons

No consideration that yo may have a life, outside of work...

It has been worse but it has been better.

Current Employee - Engineer  in  East Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Engineer in East Hartford, CT

I have been working at Pratt & Whitney full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The facilities are ok. My coworkers are the best part of the job. They make the daily grind much better.

Cons

Current business environment makes the company very cost conscious.
    Many managers lack people skills.
    Business processes aren't as as focused as they need to be, requiring last minute heroics.
    Not competitive on pay.
    Long hours.
    Benefits are getting worse.

Listen to any advice anyone has passed on before

Worked for Pratt & Whitney? Contribute to the Community!