Pratt & Whitney

www.pw.utc.com

Pratt & Whitney Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Paul Adams

Pros
  • Pratt allows work life balance / telecommuting but it depends on your boss (in 21 reviews)

• Employee Scholar program is unmatched by any other company (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay starts out decent but levels off after a few years to just cost of living increases (in 11 reviews)

• IE, "Work life balance is very important" but requires unpaid overtime often and consistently (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall, not a bad place to work.

Communications Manager (Former Employee) East Hartford, CT

ProsYou'll work with very smart people and learn a lot. The benefits are better than average. The company values diversity in its workforce, making this a good employer choice for minorities.

ConsIt's very easy to be overlooked in a company this large. You will often do great work, but the decision makers will not know about it. Your immediate supervisor or his/her supervisor will present your work and take the credit. You will often get pulled to join "teams", like EH&S, Employee Engagement, etc. that will suck up your time and leave you scrambling to get your 'real' job done.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen presenting work to senior executives share the credit with the person who actually DID the work. When management positions become available consider promoting from within more often rather than hiring friends from the outside.

Great engineering homegrown engineering company - innovative products, good workforce, ethical practices.

Engineer (Current Employee) East Hartford, CT

ProsEmployee Scholar Program (although more limited than in past now), friendly and collaborative atmosphere, strong ethical culture, opportunities to move within UTC, decent work-life balance.

ConsHigh cost of living in CT, management can be old-fashioned and rigid, facilities are outdated, and new employee indoctrination is poor.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent and connected with employees. Work on lessening the executive "suit" culture that makes management seem aloof and unapproachable.

Nice place to work. Good benefits, but not enough emphasis on professional development/training.

ProsLoose environment. Decent pay, flexible work schedule, and excellent education benefits.

ConsUnrealistic objectives. Tough promotions with unclear goals to help salary personnel move up the ladder.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to work toward developing the professional growth and training of the salary employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Solid Company with good opportunities

Engineering Manager (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsSolid opportunities, with training and promotion career paths. Interesting products and good people dedicated to their jobs.

ConsSometimes conflicting management direction, priorities and HQ mandates can make execution difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlign objectives from top to bottom

Good starting pay, but low raises or advancement potential in less than 10 years.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) East Hartford, CT

ProsAmazing learning experience, good mentoring, etc. (Though, this is hit or miss depending on your mentor). Great starting pay and decent benefits and vacation time.

ConsLittle room for advancement and promotions (Starting at L8 or L7, don't expect to pass L5 or L4 in your career).
    TERRIBLE raises.
    Company can be hypocritical. IE, "Work life balance is very important" but requires unpaid overtime often and consistently. "Log all of your hours accurately to the 1/10th of an hour" but don't log past 40. "We work hard to retain the best talent in the industry" but we pay right at the average for all engineering positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider a little transparency. Requiring long hours and ridiculous deadlines/schedules regardless of time needed without a clear understanding of the bigger picture removes a lot of the motivation to give up more weekends.

Good company overall, hard to move up

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) East Hartford, CT

ProsGood culture overall, most management and leadership is good (there are exceptions), work life balance is good.

ConsHard to move up unless you are politically connected. Hard work and smarts will not get you there alone. HR eliminated their mentor program in 2013 which had been a step in the right direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to improve opportunities for promotion for lower and mid level employees.

Need a Purchasing Manager that knows how to be a NPI Manager

NPI Buyer (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

Proshaving a lunch area for their employees to go to...

ConsTemporary; being a contract buyer in PW everyone knows that they will never go Perm. Also, on picking out there manager(s) they need to go deeper into their work experience... Get their employees involve some recreation; just as provide a picnic for their employees; Handling out certificates on "great Job(s)". Letting them know that you appreciate their work.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe careful on hiring a Manager for a department...

Former employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat learning environment, very interesting work

ConsLocation, bureaucracy, dealing with government, layoffs,

Overall, great team environment

ProsGreat people to work with, very good work environment

ConsSome old school methodologies still exist with internal customers

Better than nothing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsSince we don't live in a communist society you're free to look for jobs elsewhere. Getting laid off seems like a blessing in disguise, people almost ask for it. They'll pay for your MBA which helps you get another job.

ConsManagement. Lack of direction. Lack of resources. Zero training. ACE. Lack of career development. Old filthy buildings (in Hartford at least). If I was on the management team I would feel like I was stuck between a rock and a hard place. The senior management is so disconnected that the middle management is being expected to drive conflicting strategies. Employee morale is at an all time low. Those that are happy haven't likely never worked anywhere else so they have no idea how bleak the situations is.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for a different job, there's no use spinning your wheels all day to make no difference in the end. Mine as well move on to a happier work place.

Worked for Pratt & Whitney? Contribute to the Community!