Praxair Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Praxair President, and CEO Steve Angel
Steve Angel

Pros
  • Good place to work if you are looking for a good work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• People are great hardworking Benefits ok middle of road (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is sometimes a challenge (in 5 reviews)

• Exclusionary behavior among upper management (in 8 reviews)

1. Administrative system

Former Employee - Executive Assistant - Assistant to President in Waterbury, CT
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant - Assistant to President in Waterbury, CT

I worked at Praxair (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly company very accommodating friendly management

Cons

Wish it had been permanent

Advice to Management

N/a

2. overworked underpaid

Former Employee - Plant Technician for Standard Plants in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Plant Technician for Standard Plants in New York, NY

I worked at Praxair full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of responsibility and minimal supervision. Company vehicle

Cons

Long hours low pay On call 24/7 Techs are strung out over large area when plants aren't running you get treated poorly. Can't order spare repair parts to keep on stock for when plant is down. Lead techs don't train lower tech, instead run to management when issues arise.

Advice to Management

Pay plant techs better Revise your employee review process, should never be mandatory to rate one tech below standard when all techs did outstanding work that year,plus should be able to rate more than one tech as being excellent for the year.

3. Company undergoing Change

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Praxair full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many Good People Work Here

Cons

Company undergoing Change / Down Sizing

Advice to Management

Evaluate Each plant individually

5. Challenging job with lots of overtime

Current Employee - O&M E&I Tech in Krotz Springs, LA
    Current Employee - O&M E&I Tech in Krotz Springs, LA

I have been working at Praxair full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you like to work all hours of the day and not have any support, this is the company for you !

Cons

You never know what's gonna happen with this company , Very poor communication between management and employees.they like to put they're employees last !

Advice to Management

Value your employees more ! This is a 2 way street , Not only do we need a job to support our families , but you need our skills to keep your company going .

6. Designer

Current Employee - Designer in Tonawanda, NY
    Current Employee - Designer in Tonawanda, NY

I have been working at Praxair full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Steady job. Interesting work. Travel opportunities. Networking and advancement opportunities. Tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Advancement is capped early. Furthering your education is necessary to advance. Benefits continue to decline. Bonus was taken away for designers and low level engineers. Other fringe benefits disappearing while record profits occur yearly and high level employee bonuses do not decline.

Advice to Management

Better benefits, advancement opportunities and bonuses for all project contributors attracks and retains quality employees. Forced ranking can require good employees to get bad reviews and breed discontent and anger towards fellow employees.

7. Title

Pros

Great ppl to work for. Great safety.

Cons

Long days. Boss can be very mean. No bonus

Advice to Management

Work on promotion to ppl who deserve it.

8. Good campany but few growth opportunities for young engineeris

Current Employee - Development Specialist in Tonawanda, NY
    Current Employee - Development Specialist in Tonawanda, NY

I have been working at Praxair full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a first job in my career, overall, I think it is a good company to start. However, after several years, I feel like I lost momentum, interest, and direction of development. The growth opportunities are rare and I really need opportunities to motivate myself.

Cons

Med insurance is not competitive here. Pay is ok but not great.

Advice to Management

Care more about the growth of young employees.

Great Fortune 250 company with a lack of vision and direction

I have been working at Praxair full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Stable company that is a global leader in the industry - Great employees and co-workers who are at the top of their respective fields - Still offers 5% matching on 401K - Safety first culture

Cons

- In 8 years I have been through 3 major and 2 minor reorganiztions - There is no effort to retain or compete for talented individuals - The limited bonus structure has been updated 3 times in recent years to minimize what is paid out to employees. Now it is almost insulting - Praxair prides itself on being a technology company, but it is definitely not embracing information technology trends. Praxair is easily 10 -15 years behind the times, while our competitors make strides forward - Very politically charged, good old boy, silo type mentality. - Upper management not engaged. More concerned about immediate rewards for their reviews and bonuses over the long term stability and growth of the company - There are many unqualified individuals in technical management positions because of soft skills alone.

Advice to Management

Advice: Foster an environment where employees don't fear the next reorganization. Be engaging and help to promote your employees through training and mentorship. Have a vision and promote it. You want us to be loyal to the company, well, give us something to be proud and loyal to.

Manager

Former Contractor - Operations Manager in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Operations Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Praxair as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company present in many countries. Salary is good and the safety aspects are the best in this kind of market.

Cons

High market competition and hard job. The research and development is the challenges point for this kind of company.

11. Decent, Safe Job

I have been working at Praxair full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Safe job, International exposure, Relatively flat organization, Average to lower salaries, Decent benefits, Pension plan & 401k match, Health, Dental

Cons

Poor talent management, No aggressive drive for growth, Very risk averse, Lack of innovation (industry is mature which on the flip side does lead to stability)

Advice to Management

Senior managers are lining their pockets and paying lip service to their "beliefs" in employee and company growth. Line managers do decent job, but people with slick talk get promoted to senior levels. Retention is a problem and high performers tend to leave for better opportunities. Diversity is a buzz word with little teeth behind it (Check the list of executives).

RSS Feed </> Embed