Praxair Reviews

Updated August 21, 2014
Updated August 21, 2014

Praxair President, and CEO Steve Angel
Steve Angel

Pros
  • A stable company, which is well-respected in its industry, which offers good work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Secure job, nice people, good benefits (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The main goal of Upper management is to get money to the stockholders (in 8 reviews)

• Outside of not working overtime and being able to take a lunch hour, they don't encourage a healthy work-life balance (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Solid company but does not bring out creativity

Former Employee - Process Engineer  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Praxair full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I appreciate how their stock has perform over the years and made for a nice 401K. Financially they are solid and have long term contracts so even in tough times they have revenue.

Cons

You cannot be too creative since you are most often dealing with hazardous materials and rigid procedures have to be followed. Most of the products are commodities so margins are very thin. As a result employees are constantly encouraged to spend less and less every year so upper management can maintain their high salaries. If eventually you do get a high paycheck, beware you may be laid off to improve the company bottom line.

Have a more pleasant office / factories. Locations can be very dreary and industrial. Take some hints from a Google or Pixar.

Overview of R&D

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Praxair full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Praxair is a stable, financially sound company. So far, the focus and discipline on the next quarter and short term financial success, judgement based on each project performance rather than long term strategies lead to excellent results.

Cons

The past and current approach also works against the company. The lack of significant innovation, due to limited resources in R&D, high turn over of specialists, the significant number of retirement in the ranks of people with valuable expertise without a strategy for knowledge transfer will set-back the future performance.

Speed up the innovation cycle by decoupling the R&D projects from their business sponsorship and request to follow the "RCP" approach the way is implemented today. Improve retention, and put more energy into career development and career progression. Better salaries may help as well.

Plant Operator

I have been working at Praxair full-time

Pros

Quality training and safety training.

Cons

Unsafe conditions created during employee turnover due to minimum staffing. High employee turnover due to midpoint benefits.

Additional staffing would provide enough morale to retain best of class.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Danbury, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danbury, CT

I have been working at Praxair full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Not a lot of extra headcount so you are pulled into projects that you might not get exposed to in other companies. You are pulled out of your comfort zone and can really grow your skills.

Cons

Everyone is expected to work very hard and put in long hours. Money is not thrown around lightly so resources can be limited sometimes. Salary is pretty good and benefits are average.

The management and enviornment in Corporate HQ is very conservative and old-fashioned. Comany needs to become more employee-friendly and flexible if they are going to keep up with the changing dynamics of the workplace.

great

Current Employee - Project Controls Engineer
    Current Employee - Project Controls Engineer

I have been working at Praxair full-time

Pros

Secure job, nice people, good benefits

Cons

not many opportunities to grow

Great place to learn the Industrial Gas business

I have been working at Praxair full-time

Pros

The company makes an effort to ensure that its sales force is well trained. There is a network of persons in various departments that aid in the selling process. There is opportunity for you to work in a broad range of areas within the company. The company has recently been putting more effort into promoting internally.

Cons

There is a MAJOR disconnect between upper and middle management. Many employees are taking on tremendous workloads and not being recognized for the work they are doing. People are beginning to get very fed up with poor salary and a steady decrease in benefits. The main goal of Upper management is to get money to the stockholders. NOTHING else really matters. They will terminate people and cut back on raises and bonuses to reach their promises to the shareholders. The employees are not appreciated, especially those doing some of the most dangerous jobs. This company is not conducive to a balanced quality of life.

Focus needs to shift to the employees that make the company what it is today. Realistic returns to the investors should be considered that do not put your workforce in jeopardy of loosing their lives to make a goal.

Praxair is average and behind the times. They're tight with the buck.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Danbury, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danbury, CT

I have been working at Praxair full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Not the best employer, but not the worst. The benefits are average, at best. If you don't have strong technical skills, this is the place for you because they're behind technology-wise. Not a very fast-paced environment so no real pressure or push for employees to work overtime. The Danbury location has a cafeteria in the building and a bank; it's convenient. They also offer garage parking which is great in the winter especially since they never close the building due to snow storms, so you're pretty much expected to be at work even if it means you risk your life getting there. They're big on charitable donations and encourage (at least in theory) diversity within the company. Outside of the Administrative Assistants, everyone gets and office.

Cons

Management admits that the company is cheap and they're proud of it. But, then they don't have a problem spending thousands upon thousands of dollars hosting shareholder and board meetings at the St. Regis in Manhattan or throwing extravagant gala's for the executives.

Salary increases (when there's no salary freeze in place) are below the average cost of living index. They don't encourage professional development. I've been here for 5 years and have yet to travel to any other locations to meet the people I work with on a daily basis. They don't invest in their employees by sending them to training seminars or classes to enhance their skills.

I'm stuck in an office environment where there's little camaraderie; people pretty much keep to themselves. There are many employees that have been here 10, 20, even 30 years and with that comes a serious reluctance to change. I think it's very difficult for them to retain technologically advanced, talented young people who want to grow and be part of something bigger. The IT personnel here are useless. You're better off trying to investigate a technical problem on your own, otherwise you'll just be waiting indefinitely for IT to figure it out. They're bad at following up and just inefficient. Management is old-fashioned, stuffy, cold and keeps the 'good ole boys' network alive. The CEO rarely acknowledges anyone he passes by in the hall because he's too busy talking to himself.

Outside of not working overtime and being able to take a lunch hour, they don't encourage a healthy work-life balance. No such thing as summer hours. No such thing as telecommuting. If you get 2 weeks vacation and you need just one more day, you have to pay for it - literally. You have to pay the company for vacation days. There are no holiday parties to speak of. If they bring in pizza for a department, each employee is asked for money to cover the cost. Good luck getting any supplies ordered. At one time, each employee was told they'll get one ream of paper per year and so they had to be very careful about what they print. All printers are automatically set up to print on both sides of the paper. The printers break down every few weeks. The fax machines are 15 years old.

I've been here 5 years and so it's not unbearable; for where I am in my life, it works. But, management needs to know that most employees are just biding time until they either hit retirement or get a better offer in a better commuting location. Where there's no investment or appreciation of employees, there's no investment or loyalty to the employer. This isn't a career for me - it's just a job with average pay and average benefits which is more than a lot of people have right now in this economy. A note to management would be that your employees are not stupid. We see (and hear) a lot more than you may realize, but I put in my 40 hours and you give me a check and then we're even.

Great Company with great culture

Former Employee - Process Engineer  in  The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at Praxair full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Company with great culture

Cons

Politics exists everywhere. the Woodlands is not a location I recommend.

Retain people is important. Equal oppotunity and fare treatment is important. This applies to both young and senior engineers

Praxair is a good place to work

I have been working at Praxair

Pros

Disciplined and ethical company that focuses on sustained growth. Is a good place to work for people that are looking to interface with many different industries.

Cons

Flat organizational structure that makes rapid career advancement difficult. Career growth is steady and usually occurs through a combination of lateral and upward moves.

Wonderful company to work for, great co-workers, management had it going on...great pay. This was in Concord, NH

Former Employee - Leadership Development Program Associate  in  Concord, NH
    Former Employee - Leadership Development Program Associate in Concord, NH

I worked at Praxair full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

pay, benefits, people, work ethic of co workers, safety, flex time is available which was great, yearly bonuses and awards

Cons

communication or lack of, management needs to communicate with employees more, I really have no other cons to relay to you.

Worked for Praxair? Contribute to the Community!