Praxair Reviews

Updated October 16, 2014
3.1

Praxair President, and CEO Steve Angel
Steve Angel

Pros
  • Good place to work if you are looking for a good work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• People are great hardworking Benefits ok middle of road (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The main goal of Upper management is to get money to the stockholders (in 8 reviews)

• Outside of not working overtime and being able to take a lunch hour, they don't encourage a healthy work-life balance (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Leave you to believe in things that never will truly happen.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Praxair

Pros

Experience on a resume.
    The longer you keep believing the fluff they feed you the longer you will stay.

Cons

Well underpaid.
    Nepotism & politics.
    Poor management.
    Greedy.
    Uncaring for their employees.
    If you feed in to the fluff this company tells you it will ruin your life in the long run & if u have a family theirs too. If you are the type of person that does not expect much then this is the job for you.

Be honest & follow through with promises. Take better care of your employees & give them a REAL paycheck.

It could be better

I have been working at Praxair

Pros

Benefits were good until last year but it is still better then some other companies.

Cons

Favoritism,lies and deception are the way of business at Praxair.

Take action before this company becomes Enron.

Praxair is the worst place to work

I have been working at Praxair

Pros

nice co-workers; easy work; can not think of any other reason why anyone should work there; close to home; that's about it

Cons

management is horrible; benefits are mediocre; the company as a whole needs to catch up to the twentieth century, forget about the twenty-first century.

motivate your employees; expand your benefits to balance work/home; organize your staff to work more efficiently; appreciate your employees; a happy place is a more productive place

so-so

Current Employee - Chemist in Morrisville, PA
    Current Employee - Chemist in Morrisville, PA

I have been working at Praxair full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Busy, many overtime hours are available

Cons

too much Favortism same people get promoted

Lead by example

Good place for business but not highly technical positions (unless you are in a core business)

Current Employee - Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Praxair full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

High salaries, good benefits, good colleagues, training, challenging work, international travel.

Cons

Rigid hierarchy -- workers vs managers, core businesses vs non-core. There is a lot of turnover and a lack of focus -- to many functions. Some business areas are very disfunctional with unqualified staff, a lot of political nonsense, a lot of KA.

Stop thinking that you are better than anyone else.

review

I have been working at Praxair

Pros

great benefits and vacation time. great pay weekly for clerical work. everyone is so friendly

Cons

there aren't much cons except that sometimes it could get so boring aroufcd here that iiiiiiiiiimirls

Overview of R&D

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Praxair full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Praxair is a stable, financially sound company. So far, the focus and discipline on the next quarter and short term financial success, judgement based on each project performance rather than long term strategies lead to excellent results.

Cons

The past and current approach also works against the company. The lack of significant innovation, due to limited resources in R&D, high turn over of specialists, the significant number of retirement in the ranks of people with valuable expertise without a strategy for knowledge transfer will set-back the future performance.

Speed up the innovation cycle by decoupling the R&D projects from their business sponsorship and request to follow the "RCP" approach the way is implemented today. Improve retention, and put more energy into career development and career progression. Better salaries may help as well.

Praxair is average and behind the times. They're tight with the buck.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danbury, CT

I have been working at Praxair full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Not the best employer, but not the worst. The benefits are average, at best. If you don't have strong technical skills, this is the place for you because they're behind technology-wise. Not a very fast-paced environment so no real pressure or push for employees to work overtime. The Danbury location has a cafeteria in the building and a bank; it's convenient. They also offer garage parking which is great in the winter especially since they never close the building due to snow storms, so you're pretty much expected to be at work even if it means you risk your life getting there. They're big on charitable donations and encourage (at least in theory) diversity within the company. Outside of the Administrative Assistants, everyone gets and office.

Cons

Management admits that the company is cheap and they're proud of it. But, then they don't have a problem spending thousands upon thousands of dollars hosting shareholder and board meetings at the St. Regis in Manhattan or throwing extravagant gala's for the executives.

Salary increases (when there's no salary freeze in place) are below the average cost of living index. They don't encourage professional development. I've been here for 5 years and have yet to travel to any other locations to meet the people I work with on a daily basis. They don't invest in their employees by sending them to training seminars or classes to enhance their skills.

I'm stuck in an office environment where there's little camaraderie; people pretty much keep to themselves. There are many employees that have been here 10, 20, even 30 years and with that comes a serious reluctance to change. I think it's very difficult for them to retain technologically advanced, talented young people who want to grow and be part of something bigger. The IT personnel here are useless. You're better off trying to investigate a technical problem on your own, otherwise you'll just be waiting indefinitely for IT to figure it out. They're bad at following up and just inefficient. Management is old-fashioned, stuffy, cold and keeps the 'good ole boys' network alive. The CEO rarely acknowledges anyone he passes by in the hall because he's too busy talking to himself.

Outside of not working overtime and being able to take a lunch hour, they don't encourage a healthy work-life balance. No such thing as summer hours. No such thing as telecommuting. If you get 2 weeks vacation and you need just one more day, you have to pay for it - literally. You have to pay the company for vacation days. There are no holiday parties to speak of. If they bring in pizza for a department, each employee is asked for money to cover the cost. Good luck getting any supplies ordered. At one time, each employee was told they'll get one ream of paper per year and so they had to be very careful about what they print. All printers are automatically set up to print on both sides of the paper. The printers break down every few weeks. The fax machines are 15 years old.

I've been here 5 years and so it's not unbearable; for where I am in my life, it works. But, management needs to know that most employees are just biding time until they either hit retirement or get a better offer in a better commuting location. Where there's no investment or appreciation of employees, there's no investment or loyalty to the employer. This isn't a career for me - it's just a job with average pay and average benefits which is more than a lot of people have right now in this economy. A note to management would be that your employees are not stupid. We see (and hear) a lot more than you may realize, but I put in my 40 hours and you give me a check and then we're even.

Complete lack of communication from management

Former Employee - Territory Manager
    Former Employee - Territory Manager

I worked at Praxair full-time

Pros

Company car available for personal use, good co-workers

Cons

Pay is lower than industry standard, I saw my manager twice in a year, wouldn't return phone calls, emails, or texts. Company is on a spending freeze and won't invest any money in business. Stock reports show profit, yet that is not the way things feel working there. It's only going to get worse.

Get sales managers that actually care.

Terrible company. Loads of micromanagement with little direction from senior management.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Praxair full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay was average, as were the benefits. You do get to learn a good deal about other industries. Employees include some very highly regarded technical people.

Cons

All divisions of the company are not integrated--you often feel like you are working with a completely different company when you are really under the same umbrella. If you are not an engineer, they company views you differently, both in compensation and respect.

I always learned that part of management was to not only run an operation but also develop employees. If you do not invest time or energy into developing your employees, you certainly will not receive a return on an investment in the future. Employee career development is almost non-existent.

Praxair Photos