Praxair

Updated November 25, 2014
3.2

Praxair President, and CEO Steve Angel
Steve Angel

Pros
  • Good place to work if you are looking for a good work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• People are great hardworking Benefits ok middle of road (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is sometimes a challenge (in 5 reviews)

• The main goal of Upper management is to get money to the stockholders (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Praxair pros and cons

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant IV in Tonawanda, NY
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant IV in Tonawanda, NY

I have been working at Praxair

Pros

Free parking, cafeteria on site

Cons

People have worked there forever, they appear to make money in spite of themselves. There is a good ole boys club and no opportunities unless you are in the club

More training for current employees

Not the greatest place to work

I have been working at Praxair

Pros

Some ability to gain responsibility early
    Benefits package typical of the fortune 500

Cons

No work-life balance for field personnel
    Low pay compared to other similar companies

The small things can keep people happy in the long run

Wasn't a good match

Former Employee - ASM in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - ASM in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Praxair

Pros

Flexability, stocks, benefits, compensation, advancement

Cons

Feedback, health care division was new

Improve employee development and communication

Ok job....................................

I worked at Praxair full-time

Pros

Pay was ok , little higher then competitors.

Cons

you are doing three different positions and only getting paid for one. High turn over rate no work life balance. Insurance is ok as long as you do not have health problems and need to use it often. People making the calls have no idea how the plant is run or what goes into it daily. only can advance if you are willing to relocate

Listen to your employees. change the health insurance. when en employee come in with years of good experience and turned down because there is someone who has a degree but no insurance its not always best . degrees are great but that paper only goes so far when they are thrown into having to do real work. id take the person who has over 20 years experience over the one who has no experience but a degree any day. especially when already understaffed. when we work 16 hour shifts day after day phone rings all hours of the night. a simple thank you once in a while goes a long way. especially when we are missing out on our whole family day in and day out.

Good company

Current Employee - Product Manager in Madrid (Spain)
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Madrid (Spain)

I have been working at Praxair full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

flexible , safe, few competition, good numbers

Cons

Many hours, low salaries, do not care employees

Find better managers an take care of the excess of hours qe work and increase salaries

Typical manufacturing culture

I have been working at Praxair

Pros

Good place to work if you are looking for a good work life balance

Cons

Management needs to stay ahead of the curve to keep the talent.

OK company - Lots of mgmt protecting their positions.

Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Praxair full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent safety. Smart people to work with. Good work-life balance. Advancement opportunities if you are open to moving.

Cons

The bench is thinning - losing valuable resources fairly quickly. If you haven't grown up in Praxair, your opinion is discounted. Diversity push is actually demotivating workforce - EVERYONE knows it. Pay and benefits are at best mid-to-low range for some positions. Advancement opportunities available, but you must fit in - don't rub someone wrong.... Lots of confusing promotions - not our best starting lineup.

Stop protecting your positions. Step up and take risk if you want growth. Employees are very aware of the inequity in pay at upper mgmt. levels.

Need to see a change.

Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Praxair full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The financial stability of this company is second to none. The safety culture can be overbearing at times, but there is never a point where I have felt unsafe. The managers stick to an open door policy and open to discussions for the most part. If you are able to successfully manage your workload (and the many unwritten tasks and additional job duties), you can enjoy freedom to move about as you please.

Cons

The financial stability comes, in part, from the company being cheap when it comes to salaries. You are hired for a position with a certain set of tasks/duties, it won't be long before you are doing the work of 3 people. Diversity is a joke. There is a serious lack of managerial courage and a BS system for yearly performance evaluations.

Pay your people more and they might be ok with doing the work of 3 people. A little praise can go a long way.

Disenchanted with creative process and your ability to contribute at lower levels.

Current Employee - Technologist in Tonawanda, NY
    Current Employee - Technologist in Tonawanda, NY

I have been working at Praxair full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and time off when you need it. Managers that do listen...some of them at least. A lot of talent to go around. Unlimited sick days with pay so I have been told.

Cons

Can be a tough place to get acknowledged for your hard efforts and "real" world experiences. PhD's think that they are gods and no one at a lower level, such as the Technologists, have any real ideas or possible solutions to help in their research. PhD's and researchers have only school experiences and many times work with blinders on. They just don't have enough general work, play and life experiences.

Not enough recognition to the ground force workers who are the driving force in getting work done on a team. Yes it is a TEAM effort, but many with higher education won't acknowledge the fact. They let their ego's get in the way and think they can solve everything. When in fact they're just chasing their own tails. As a formal Navy Officer, I never lost hope in my junior employees. They all have something to contribute no matter how low on the totem pole. Everyone has something to contribute. We all can be developed to succeed.

Little ideas no matter how small or trivial they may seem DO become big ideas. Ask those with the soft voice because they feel intimidated for their ideas. 98 percent of them may have already been tried. It only took 1 big idea and belief for Apple computers CEO, Steve Jobs. Remember this... You lead, follow or fall behind. Its tough to be in the front leading especially since you forget to look in the rear view mirror and see that you were about to be over come with your single mindedness .... and passed. Listen to those in the back seat. They are the ones who are doing more observation because they don't have to keep focused on what's just up ahead . You just need to listen. I've been told by my wife it's a hard thing to do.

Very great group but overall company organization could be better.

Current Employee - Development Specialist I in Tonawanda, NY
    Current Employee - Development Specialist I in Tonawanda, NY

I have been working at Praxair full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very smart, strong engineers that work well together. Also, there is an open door policy with most people and everyone is very friendly and willing to help.

Cons

The overall goals for the company are not straightforward and different groups have different agendas. Collaboration could be better and some of the usual micro-managing in other groups needs to be solved. Promotions seem random and the work flow is a bit too hurried with everyone wanting the answers before analysis is complete.

Need to have a more focused message and have buy-in from everyone. Make decisions based on facts and not agendas. The pay could be better in order to keep the best performers. Sometimes the raises from the best and worst are not that much different. Get rid of the ranking system for promotions/benefits.

Praxair Photos