Praxis Engineering

Updated July 22, 2014
Updated July 22, 2014
4.3

Bill Dunahoo

Praxis is a great place to intern.

Current Employee - Human Resources Intern in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Human Resources Intern in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Praxis Engineering full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have only been at Praxis for about a month, but I already feel extremely welcomed by the other employees. Everyone I have talked to, from HR to IT to upper level executives, have been friendly and courteous. I couldn't ask for a better work environment. Best of all, Praxis PAYS their interns. That is rare. The other two internships I have worked were not paid, and most of the internships I have investigated/applied for were also unpaid.

Cons

My responsibilities themselves are boring, but that is often the nature of an intern position.

Praxis is the Real Deal

Current Employee - Business Intern in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Business Intern in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Praxis Engineering as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Unlike any place I've worked before they actually VALUE their employees. Everyone up to the executive level is approachable and willing to help you. This company has a real culture and is relatively laid back. At Praxis, there is opportunity to move up and pursue what it is that YOU want to do.

Cons

Trying to figure out any downsides to this company is honestly a challenge. I feel as though Praxis has managed to touch basis on everything and anything that would be considered a "Con", and "fixed the bug".

They sell you the dream- but it's not a reality

Current Employee - Engineer in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Praxis Engineering full-time

Pros

Pockets of talented folks working for the company. Great people in the field, horrible management. First few months weren't bad. Company has inspiring stories of an idealistic past. Compensation is decent if you have the connections and come with a job lined up.

Cons

This is truly a body shop. You as an employee exist to bill a client for your time—nothing more, nothing less. The VA office has become top-heavy, with a disproportionate number of staffers to active employees, which only exacerbates the pressure, if your position ends expect to be terminated. Forget about career paths or advancement— those assurances are only touted to recruit.
    People with no authority or purpose were there only because they knew how to "play the game" and put themselves in a position of power. Management operated like a "good ol' boys club" and hired people because of their relationship, not merit. Favoritism and nepotism are rampant, along with bending the rules and eliminating others to accommodate their needs.
    Blockbuster profits coupled with layoffs and no raises for employees this year.

Focus on building a true business and treat your VA employees with respect. The mismanagement of personnel waiting for work and in the field is atrocious.

The best company I've worked for

Current Employee - Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Praxis Engineering full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Finally, a company who hires an engineer to do engineering without the pressure to manage, write proposals, or get some silly company certification. The management really works at fitting employees to positions where they can be happy and successful. Praxis is big enough to weather the lean times but small enough to have genuine concern for the well-being of employees.

Cons

I would like to see more contract diversity to put the eggs in more baskets, but I have faith in the ability of senior management to find new opportunities as needed.

Maryland vs Virginia divide

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Praxis Engineering full-time

Pros

Management in MD were informative during all hands. The company participates in community out-reach.

Cons

Either MD and VA management are out of touch with each other or this company is a sham. Policies stated in all-hands by directors in MD are not the reality of the current situation that employees endure at work in Virginia. The turnover rate in the VA office is extraordinarily high.
    Last Spring and Summer personnel were recruited with the promise of training and job opportunities, and after starting were then told those opportunities are not available and to use their connections with the customer to get themselves a position on contract. The promised employee investment of certifications and training were not there after employees started, there was no effort to uphold recruitment promises.
    Management expressed their frustration at lack of business growth with rudeness to those employees not placed and began to pressure them to resign. Multiple employees were asked to accept a salary reduction shortly after starting, the positions they were misled to believe were open before joining were non-existent, and in total more people on the bench were laid off than placed. Though a few people were placed on contract and are now content, it was a zoo I'm glad to have left behind.
    No 401k match.

Don't continue to turn a blind eye to the VA office.

Great Family Company

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Praxis Engineering full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The ceo of this company really makes the company a great place to work. He knows everyone by name and knows what is going on in their lives.

Cons

None this company is great to work for. It is always a good sign when my wife looks forward to the praxis events about as much as I do.

Dishonest Management

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Praxis Engineering full-time

Pros

Management and recruiters are willing to make big promises to coerce you to sign. Sadly they did not deliver.

Cons

Layoffs occurred shortly after joining. Poor personnel management. Highly disorganized management did not give an honest picture of the job situation. Though they promised to keep a bench (6+ months is the norm they said) if you aren't placed in a month or two expect to be let go. As for mentoring and career development opportunities - there were none.
    The lack of professionalism staff in this office displayed was astounding.

Be honest to your employees and potential recruits. If you're trying to sell the company, hurry up. Your dishonest actions don't bide well, you owe it to your employees to do better. How do you sleep at night?

Software engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Praxis Engineering full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

IF you work in the Praxis office or on overhead, things are great - all the free food you could want and visibility with upper mgmt. Benefits are ok. They are very involved in community activities.

Cons

If you work in the field, you are a $$$ generator that is all. There is no free food unless you take the time off and go to the office. Never see my manager other than annual review time. Half the time I don't get an email response without a 2nd or 3rd reminder. During the quarterly meetings we hear how things are great - Best Quarter Ever, then minimal raise. Middle mgmt is not best quality - they think that if someone has a PMP that makes them a good manager - WRONG!!!

Get back in touch with your employees in the field - they feel ignored. Stop trying to hire more people, you are losing that small company feel.

Great Company Full of Great People

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Praxis Engineering part-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Excellent management team that is focused on company and employee successes.
    - Great pay and benefits
    - Plenty of opportunities to grow and be challenged through multiple prime and subcontracting opportunities

Cons

- Subcontracting can be a bit isolating but Praxis does go to lengths to make sure everyone is happy in their positions/contracts

Keep up the good work!

Praxis is Awesome! I love working for them!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Praxis Engineering full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, supportive management staff.

Cons

Haven't found any yet, hope I don't!

Praxis Engineering Photos