Praxis Engineering Reviews

Phenomal Workplace

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Linthicum, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Linthicum, MD

I have been working at Praxis Engineering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Praxis has all of the below: Great perks Great work Great opportunities Fun atmosphere Great people Great community Quarterly parties

Cons

The only real problems I can find with Praxis are sometimes the PMs aren't the best and there is not a lot of room for advancement in some positions.

Backs words with actions

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Praxis Engineering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Its not all about making money to Praxis. They actually care about their employees and follow their core values. Only company that I ever worked for that actually evaluates itself against its core values quarterly in front of its employees. If people have any issues and communicate them, Praxis can usually find a win-win outcome for everyone.

Cons

Some policies are different than how most contractors operate in this area. Some might consider it a con, but really its just a different business decision. For instance, 401k is a yearly lump contribution, not a monthly match and they don't pay overtime, just apply it as comp-time because they actually want you to have a good work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Have middle management engage people on-site more regularly to keep up retention. Some people will go on site and feel forgotten about or under appreciated and begin to look for greener grass. So they leave and blame Praxis. This is especially true where employees are surrounded with a lot of non-Praxis people.

Good Place to Work

Pros

The Ceo of this company is truly one who gets to know each and every one of his employee's. he keeps track of what is going on in peoples lives and if always a pleasure to talk to. Everyone there is for the most part very nice. While this company has around 400 employee's it still has a small business feel.

Cons

While the training budget is said to be " unlimited" and has no yearly limit be careful when setting your expectations. This really means that they are not obligated to give you a set amount of dollars per year. It can become very hard to get more than one training class or certification a year depending on who your manager is. Also, while HQ has a lot of nice events and free food if you don't work out of that building you are going to have to take time out of your day to go over to participate.

Advice to Management

Get more involved with your employee's if you are managing a group of people who don't work at HQ have a few nice things that you do at their building. It doesn't even have to be anything big could be something like bringing in a desert tray or something small like that. It doesn't have to be something extravagant just something which shows you gratitude. Personally I would have rather had a set training dollar amount that I could use each year so that I knew how much I could spend each year. Rather than think I could take 3 or more certifications a year only to find out that isn't a possibility.

5. Praxis is a great place to intern.

Current Employee - Human Resources Intern in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Human Resources Intern in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Praxis Engineering full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have only been at Praxis for about a month, but I already feel extremely welcomed by the other employees. Everyone I have talked to, from HR to IT to upper level executives, have been friendly and courteous. I couldn't ask for a better work environment. Best of all, Praxis PAYS their interns. That is rare. The other two internships I have worked were not paid, and most of the internships I have investigated/applied for were also unpaid.

Cons

My responsibilities themselves are boring, but that is often the nature of an intern position.

The best company I've worked for

Current Employee - Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Praxis Engineering full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Finally, a company who hires an engineer to do engineering without the pressure to manage, write proposals, or get some silly company certification. The management really works at fitting employees to positions where they can be happy and successful. Praxis is big enough to weather the lean times but small enough to have genuine concern for the well-being of employees.

Cons

I would like to see more contract diversity to put the eggs in more baskets, but I have faith in the ability of senior management to find new opportunities as needed.

Great Family Company

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Praxis Engineering full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The ceo of this company really makes the company a great place to work. He knows everyone by name and knows what is going on in their lives.

Cons

None this company is great to work for. It is always a good sign when my wife looks forward to the praxis events about as much as I do.

Great Company Full of Great People

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Praxis Engineering part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Excellent management team that is focused on company and employee successes. - Great pay and benefits - Plenty of opportunities to grow and be challenged through multiple prime and subcontracting opportunities

Cons

- Subcontracting can be a bit isolating but Praxis does go to lengths to make sure everyone is happy in their positions/contracts

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Software engineer

I have been working at Praxis Engineering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

IF you work in the Praxis office or on overhead, things are great - all the free food you could want and visibility with upper mgmt. Benefits are ok. They are very involved in community activities.

Cons

If you work in the field, you are a $$$ generator that is all. There is no free food unless you take the time off and go to the office. Never see my manager other than annual review time. Half the time I don't get an email response without a 2nd or 3rd reminder. During the quarterly meetings we hear how things are great - Best Quarter Ever, then minimal raise. Middle mgmt is not best quality - they think that if someone has a PMP that makes them a good manager - WRONG!!!

Advice to Management

Get back in touch with your employees in the field - they feel ignored. Stop trying to hire more people, you are losing that small company feel.

Praxis is Awesome! I love working for them!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Praxis Engineering full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, supportive management staff.

Cons

Haven't found any yet, hope I don't!

Praxis has provided a great work environment. Everyone is extremely friendly and motivated.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Praxis Engineering full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and salary. A chance to take your career in the direction that you want to take it. The open door policy of upper management is great. They make you feel like an important part of the companies success!

Cons

I am having a hard time thinking of even one downside to working at Praxis. Maybe that it is hard to stay away from all of the free food. At least a lot of it is healthy!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great communication. Even with the company growing the way that it is.

RSS Feed </> Embed