Precision Health Economics

Precision Health Economics Reviews

Updated Jun 7, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Academic experience in a consulting environment

Senior Economist (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsI had no idea that a firm like this existed. It was a hard decision for me not to pursue academic opportunities after my PhD, but family constraints meant I had to be in the Los Angeles area. When I found PHE, with its rich portfolio of research opportunities, I jumped at the chance. The work is fascinating, the clients are very respectful (because of PHE's reputation), and the people are very smart. They are also very respectful of my family constraints.

As I have grown to understand the research and business, I have also gotten more autonomy. I am learning management skills becasue I control the resources on my research team. I also get to interact with the client on a regular business, and am even learning some business development.

I always planned to start my own firm some day, and this is the best training I could have.

ConsI wish they had more offices in other areas, so employees could relocate. My significant other has a great academic opportunity elsewhere, but we decided to stay in LA because of PHE.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job! Please get more space in LA.

“Really great place to work” (is an obvious fake review written for recruitment)

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsCompany only hires the very best and brightest talent. Ability to get published in top academic journals. Company is growing very quickly and making a strong research impact.

ConsGrowth opportunity:
    Very minimal opportunity for advancement. Current senior management has made the days of progressing up the PHE company ladder long gone. PHE recruits senior level managers from outside the company, does not promote from within.

Work-life balance:
    Company hires young talent and squeezes every last drop of hard work out of them without regard for retention. Just when an employee thinks they cannot work any harder, senior management consistently presents individual performance data revealing employees are in-fact being inefficient with their time.

Compensation: Because company has a surplus of highly qualified candidates, retention of current hard working employees is a very low priority given availability of cheap substitutes. Most employees are underpaid and under appreciated given volume and intensity of hours demanded.

Company values:
    Follow the money. Company is very successful but vastly reinvests back into company growth (adding more employees and new senior managers) not giving out adequate raises or bonuses to current employees. Other examples include recent public announcement of a new office in Austin, TX (investment that offers no benefit to current employees).

Advice to Senior ManagementDo an assessment or survey of the current company culture and employee motivation. Promote hard working employees and give the opportunity to advance rather than hiring top down.

Really great place to work

Research Associate (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat hours, great pay at the research associate level. Lots to learn and a lot of opportunity to work with some of the best economists in the nation. If interested in PhD programs later on in life, or if interested in gaining lots of responsibility early on, this is the place to be.

ConsNo cons - this is a great company to work for. I've enjoyed my time here very much so far.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

SharePoint Consultant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat employees and work environment.

ConsCommunication levels of some departments

Growing company, but needs to iron out wrinkles

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA growing company. With it comes flexibility and the chance to make an impact. The pay is good. It is mostly in line with industry standards of other economics consulting firms. At the Economist level, you will be working with some of the brightest people in the field.

ConsWith a growing company also comes bureaucracy. It is easy to become overshadowed by the needs of the company at the management level. The flexibility is something that is quickly disappearing. The firm is likely to lose talent to other firms.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is important to keep the employees happy as you look to expand the company.

Worked for Precision Health Economics? Contribute to the Community!