Preferred Family Healthcare

Updated December 6, 2014
Updated December 6, 2014
2.6

Mike Schwend

Felt welcome from the beginning.

I have been working at Preferred Family Healthcare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility, Tuition Reimbursement, 401k matching, Insurance, Transfer and promotion opportunities.

Cons

Pay is kind of low compared to other companies the same size.

Hold people accountable for their actions or lack of follow-through.

Dysfunctional Family Healthcare

Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Kirksville, MO
    Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Kirksville, MO

I worked at Preferred Family Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, fellow employees, nice facilities

Cons

Money ORIENTED rather than people oriented. Not patient-centered enough.

You couldn't do what you do without the people who HOLD the place together. Personnel are taken for granted on a regular basis. Total and complete commitment is expected from employees and yet they are treated as though they are unimportant.

Out patient

I have been working at Preferred Family Healthcare

Pros

Coworkers, flexiablity, positive work environment

Cons

Salary is very low for master level therapists

PFH

Current Employee - Business Operations Specialist
    Current Employee - Business Operations Specialist

I have been working at Preferred Family Healthcare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

403B where the company would match you also I was able to flex my hours. Was on call 24/7 without a company cell phone and not cell phone reimbursement

Cons

Turn over was really high and Management didn't seem to care. Kept adding additional work to my caseload but wouldn't not consider any pay increase. My two supervisors never communicated with each other and either never knew what I was working on or doing (which could be a pro but had to keep repeating myself).

Take a look at the program to see what's taking place and not keep changing everything every couple of weeks.

Hostile supervisors make a job difficult

Former Employee - Community Support Specialist in Kirksville, MO
    Former Employee - Community Support Specialist in Kirksville, MO

I worked at Preferred Family Healthcare full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great experience in psychology, mental health, healthcare, and social sciences. Challenging work!

It is very fulfilling to teach people life skills that will improve their situation and ultimately empower them to build healthy relationships and achieve independence.

Cons

Supervisors should show trust and respect, offer support and council without belittling, and recognize that applying too much force does not build, it breaks.

A leader should be kind but not rude and bold but not bully. An employee should feel like they can come to you without the risk of an accusation or reprimand.

Taking time off of work should actually be time off. Employees should not have to work extra hard before and after a vacation to meet the same requirement as someone who was there the whole week.

A terrible company to work for! Horrible management and not enough follow through with the policies of the company.

Former Employee - Community Support Specialist in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Community Support Specialist in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Preferred Family Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Helping the clients and helping them achieve their potential

Cons

Too much confusion and poor leadership. Management never takes accountability for the countless failures of the company. Horrible success rates for the clientele which is not a good look for the organization. Very frugal and often spent more money on employee functions than taking care of the clients. There is also little to no room for growth within the company and they pay so little but require so much production.

Listen to the clients and find out what will help them become more successful. Better incentives for employees and better benefits and growth within the company

It is a great company but illegally does not hire people back who are honest on their exit interviews.

Former Employee - Rehabilitation Technician and Associate Counselor in Trenton, MO

I worked at Preferred Family Healthcare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Set own hours somewhat. Could work weekends, weekdays off. They cheat workers out of holiday pay and overtime.

Cons

A lot of politics and nepotism. If you are a friend of upper management you can do whatever you like, not even come to work. Extremely hard to get time off.

Don't use exit interview against people.

High expectations, low support

Former Employee - Associate Counselor
    Former Employee - Associate Counselor

I worked at Preferred Family Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good way to get your foot in the door for a resume building counseling job. Many front line staff members have good intentions.

Cons

High billable expectations and no caseload limits. At one time in an outpatient setting I had 40+ clients that I was expected to see every week. This produces poor quality care for the clients who need more individualized attention than the counselors are able to give at this level. Support from supervisors and program directors was minimal and it was very clear that paperwork and quantity of billing was more important than qualitty of client care. Training is minimal. Lots of unnecessary paperwork amounting to CYA to the highest degree.

Consumers are people, not numbers. Each consumer needs to be treated as an individual, rather than an opportunity for billing.

Great company to work for, friendly staff.

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Kirksville, MO
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Kirksville, MO

I have been working at Preferred Family Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Overall this company has a great time-off policy. In my current position I generally work 8a-5p with no weekend work.

Cons

The cons of this employer is that it is a 24hour facility. If you are hired on the clinical side, you will be required to work nights and some Holidays.

Family oriented.

I have been working at Preferred Family Healthcare as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

assist in maintaining openness with all levels of supervision and attempt not to be judgmental with staff.

Cons

be realistic with services that can be provided for consumers within a given point and time.

provide cross training throughout the organization.