Preferred Mutual
www.preferredmutual.com New Berlin, NY 150 to 499 Employees

Preferred Mutual Reviews

Updated Jan 22, 2014
Preferred Mutual – New Berlin – “Preferred Mutual Insurance Company”

Christopher Taft

Excellent Beyond Description

Product Development Specialist (Current Employee)
    Rochester, NY

ProsThis company espouses a culture where the employees are encouraged to grow and develop. The salary is more than commensurate with the work expected. I am able to work from home and this creates time for me to work more efficiently. My manager is flexible, yet expects excellence. He also leads by example as does our CEO and other top management.
    I also like how altruistic we are. We are constantly contributing to the community and do good employee development activities such as "Pay it Forward". I bless the day that I was called to interview! It marked a change in my career that was well worth my while!

ConsNONE!..I would not change anything except maybe the location. Then again I would not change that either because I feel that part of what makes PMIC so special is it's location.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease continue to keep up the great work!

Stop trying to fix what isn't broken!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    New Berlin, NY

ProsFlexible job locations. Ability to work from home or different office locations that are convenient for the employee. Flat infrastructure. Bonus gain share and good 401k opportunities. Traditional retirement plan still in place (for now).

ConsVery one sided upper management view-you either yes them to death or you are fired. New management hires have "nasty" ways about them that is destroying the culture that makes this a unique company.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to be a "big player" in the marketplace. There is a niche for this type of company but it can only be successful if the staff can retain their sweet demeanor. New hires have direct channel mentality which will cause the company to crash and burn with their agents.

Growing company with progressive ideas.

Pros- Preferred is progressing in a positive way to keep current with changing buyer/agent trends.
    - Many perks for employees including bonuses, company fun events, community involvement opportunities and nice facilities.

ConsThe home office is located New Berlin, which may be remote for many. Preferred is addressing this issue by showing more flexibility and opportunities for employees to work remote.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Professional working environment, talented coworkers, opportunity for growth.

Communications (Current Employee)
    New Berlin, NY

ProsAuthentic company. Friendly and smart employees. Great benefits. Flexible environment.

ConsNone -- I wouldn't be here if I wasn't satisfied.

I worked in a quasi leadership position

Leadership (Former Employee)
    New Berlin, NY

ProsSmart staff handling work in u/w and claims
     Salary is competitive for area
     Employees are very loyal ( captive audience in the sticks?)
     CEO is brilliant book smart.

ConsSr. Management is in many cases very intolerant of minority employees and while they will not say anything to their face, behind closed doors the intolerance in very apparent it can be racial, appearance, disability etc.
    Employees with many years of experience and many certifications are held back because they lack a college degree.
    Back stabbing is routine within the management ranks from the top down.
    Once the CEO Mr. Taft has decided he has used you for all he can get, you become a non-factor in the management ranks and no longer can contribute effectively.
    Favoritism is rampant.
    The HR Department is basically clueless and is run by a very nasty lady who will come across as your friend initially, but because she marches in lock step with Taft, she too will dump you in a heartbeat.
    Don't challenge Sr. Management, don't prove them wrong, you will be history.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up and smell the coffee. You are a very successful business despite yourselves and one day it will come to bite you in the butt.

Preferred Mutual has a belly full of politics. Job seekers should take this review into consideration

IT (Former Employee)
    New Berlin, NY

ProsWhen the company has a good financial year it shares that through a gain-share program with it's employees based on your salary.
    The company has a lunchin once a year to publicly congratulate employees based on years of service, and educational achievements, and even throws in a moderate money contribution. The company also has a picnic which usually includes outdoor activities, and a delicious catered meal.
    The CEO of the company will go out of his way to stop and talk to you in the parking lot, hallway, or even just as he's passing by your cubical.

ConsThe company will push the employees to spend money on continuing their education and certifications, however internal career advancement is nowhere to be found.
    The company would rather hire from the outside than promote you to a position that best matches your qualifications and education.
    The management team demands respect from the employees, yet doesn't give any in return.
    Employees are constantly looking over their shoulder for fear of their manager, or a member of the HR team to whisk them away behind closed doors to terminate their employment.
    Employees are discouraged to think openly, and creatively and instead adhere to methods which are outdated.
    Employees are unable to challenge management and supervisors when they are wrong, and are punished for doing so.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe human, be thoughtful and mindful of the people working under you, and be respectful to the employee' s professional desires and career goals. Give them a reason to stay, rather then punish them for wanting to leave. Realize that even though you've been with the company for over fifteen years, or that you have x many years of industry experience, that you still may be wrong, and be open to the suggestion of the younger staff. Be willing and able to help them achieve their goals to better the company.

Worked for Preferred Mutual? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Preferred Mutual reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Preferred Mutual CEO Christopher Taft. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by Preferred Mutual employees.