Premera Blue Cross

Be The First To
Add Photos

Premera Blue Cross President, CEO, and Director Gubby Barlow

Gubby Barlow

Pros:
  • "Good work-life balance in most parts of the organization (IT is a big exception)"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Some good benefits, nothing exceptional though"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance does not exist in some parts of IT"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Underlings are not allowed to mingle with or contact upper management directly"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great values, good company, sketchy decision-making, poor experience.

Management Analyst (Current Employee)
    Mountlake Terrace, WA

ProsCompany is progressive and offers great benefits, casual work environment, great work/life balance, beautiful campus, and a genuine interest in my health. There are lots of things going on to involve associates- cooking classes, informational seminars, community involvement. The company is socially responsible, financially stable, innovative, and poised for the future. Lots of perks.

ConsLots of bureaucracy and internal politics. Management often rewards technical prowess but not people skills or decision making; often heads quickly in the wrong direction, then spends aimlessly to correct course. Management decision making borders on absurd. Workforce is way off balance in terms of gender, favoring one gender over the other. Parking is challenging. Recruiters are over worked and non-responsive. Hiring is based solely on relationships rather than qualifications.

Advice to Senior ManagementAcknowledge that you have silos in the organization, although the core values say you don't. Break down these barriers. Make major changes in recruiting and hiring and utilize people who can contribute rather than socialize.

Premera is a great place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI have never met nicer and more positive people. This is a wonderful work environment and it's because the executive team really cares about that.

ConsMy only negative was one on a personal level - it was a horrendous commute. On the other hand, if your commute is the worst thing about your job, that's not such a bad thing. Once there, I loved working with the folks at Premera. My management was also aware of my issue with the commute and offered a bit of relief with a telecommute day (much appreciated).

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

integrity and consumer experience are most important at all levels.

Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Mountlake Terrace, WA

ProsSupportive environment, decent benefits, focusted on career-talend development.

Conslower salary than expected; too many meetings

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting, fast pace environment with dedicated employees

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

Prosdedicated employees and good teams
    very interesting projects
    really respect the leadership in the area of the company I work in

Consa lot of work to do and if you do well they will give you more. Need to push back a bit to prevent being over worked.

Depending on where you are, you could have a rewarding career or a victim of corporate politics

Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee)
    Mountlake Terrace, WA

ProsPay/benefits, work, life balance, work from home

ConsPolitics, some managers have integrity problem

Advice to Senior ManagementManger's integrity is of vital importance

a place to feel good about what you do

Mountlake Terrace, WA

ProsI have enormous pride working for Premera, I believe in our products and the impact we make in the market place. We have some extraordinary leaders here and lots of diversity. The team feeling is the best.

ConsGoes without saying that working for a non profit you are not going to make bank LOL. But the benefits are very good and what they invest in you for healthcare is excellent. It can be a little cliquey in different departments but you can move around they are very solid on promoting within the company. few ceilings to keep you down.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep walking the walk and watch the Managers who's teams are happy those are who you want to learn from. stay engaged with the workforce and appreciate them.

Decent place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits, work/life balance - if you're in a good department, it can be an awesome place. But it goes both ways.

ConsResistance to change, red-tape, hard to move around internally

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within - there are a lot of good people that work here amongst those who are too stuck in a rut.

Exceptionally Stressful Position, Horrible Low Pay for the amount of work you have to complete & Listening to Complaints

Operations (Current Employee)
    Spokane, WA

ProsFree Food on Occasion, Advancement (if you are on your supervisor's good side)

ConsMicromanagement, Rules Changing on Daily Basis, Anything Said To Management Will Be Used Against You (reviews, coaching opportunities, etc.), No Bonuses Just a Cheap Christmas Gift

Advice to Senior ManagementStop Changing Company Policy When It Suits You! Gubby, Instead of collecting all those thousands and thousands of dollars, Why Don't You Share With Your Hard Working Employees??

Great place to work.

ProsPeople, challenging, lots to do and learn

ConsMeetings, seems to be a very management heavy company... easy to get lost

Not what I thought

Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Mountlake Terrace, WA

ProsCompensation is okay. Free parking. 401 K matching.

ConsThis place is a fraternity culture. If you are a white guy and you ski, you are golden! Administrative support are treated like interchangeable drones, and after-thoughts (if actually thought of at all). It reminds me of a modern-day Mad Men without the sexual overtures. Awful. There's absolutely no recognition for individual potential, and hourly employees are treated like children. It has zero feeling of innovation, and is so steeped in political culture it's oppressive. The systems are old and there's a long drawn-out process for everything.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about those that support you. Discuss and support their goals, and don't be denigrating.

Worked for Premera Blue Cross? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Premera Blue Cross reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Premera Blue Cross CEO Gubby Barlow. All 136 reviews posted anonymously by Premera Blue Cross employees.