Premera Blue Cross

Be The First To
Add Photos

Premera Blue Cross President, CEO, and Director Gubby Barlow

Gubby Barlow

Pros
  • Good work-life balance in most parts of the organization (IT is a big exception)(in 23 reviews)

• Some good benefits, nothing exceptional though(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance does not exist in some parts of IT(in 8 reviews)

• Upper Management does not pay attention when issues are brought to their attention(in 7 reviews)

Unpredictable outcomes of good people - proceed with caution

Project Manager (Former Employee) Lynnwood, WA

ProsEstablished place of work
    Great cafeterias
    Great front line people
    Process improvement focus
    Community focused

ConsInconsistent respect for the people (it's talk, not walk)
    Development not prevalent
    Take the wrong risk - once and done

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement doesn't know - the wrong calls are made on the wrong people. Listen to your front line. Consider digging deeper, asking more questions, and don't jump to conclusions before making the wrong changes. The innovators, creators, and positive culture changers are being overlooked. Not all high producers are good managers, these are different skill sets.

Strong work life balance and total compensation but consistently disappointing leadership

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Mountlake Terrace, WA

ProsWork life balance. Strong tenured employees who are dedicated to doing what is right by the member. Total compensation is quite strong and should be given level or earnings. If considering look at PTO, 401k, pension, benefits, and bonus. You will be hard pressed to match.

ConsSenior leadership is top down and not empowering. Approach is critical and at times reaches demeaning. Think of themselves as thought leaders but in fact are slow to take a decision and stand by it. Politics are ubiquitous and once off track rare to recover. Mountlake Terrace is an island to the north, most folks commute from Mill Creek. You're generally stuck on the campus.

Advice to Senior ManagementDelegate and empower your Vice Presidents, Directors and top Managers. Executives need to be visible at all levels of the organization. The VP's of my area only stepped into our department at best once every 6 months and often looking for someone with an urgent need.

Great place to work. I've seen a lot worse!

IT Manager (Current Employee) Mountlake Terrace, WA

ProsGrowth, compensation, pleasant place to work.

ConsParking is sometimes hard to come by.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice People, Poor Management style. Lacking structure.

IT Engineer (Current Employee) Mountlake Terrace, WA

ProsThere are a lot of nice people at Premera, the Pay is not to bad in IT. The benefits are pretty good

ConsLack of vision, Lack of Technology to do the job, Multiple change in directions of Management or lack of management. Many people in IT are overworked and attempts to get more help fall on deaf ears. They have been sued already by an IT person for Overtime hours. But they still work many people 50-80 hours a week. When someone complains or tells them the truth about how things are then it seems shortly afterwards they soon don't work there........

Advice to Senior ManagementPay closer attention to the hours your people are reporting. Fill in all the missing Mangement positions. Work to close the gap between applications and infrastructure. It seem the focus is to work on the future but there is no focus on building the infrastructure to sustain the business.

Values Driven Organization

Human Resources (Former Employee) Mountlake Terrace, WA

ProsGREAT people, values driven organization, great benefits, opportunity to learn and grow. Opportunities for promotion.

ConsNot the most competitive pay. Must negotiate well upon offer, because raises are not significant.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership needs to be more visible to front line employees. It's a good practice to get out of offices and walk the halls from time to time.

My time at Premera was very disappointing.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Spokane, WA

ProsI worked in the LifeWise division and the schedule was Monday through Friday. You got all the major holidays off and great benefits from day one of hire.

ConsWhere to start? The training was not up to par for what you actually go through with the members. The company is stuck in 1990. No outside email and members having to fax or mail in paperwork instead of an email system. The procedures were written very poorly to make them more confusing that they needed to be. It seemed to me that the company cared more about how you did something by a procedure instead of looking outside of the box for a resolution to satisfy the member. Kind of an oh well attitude.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake training longer and focus more on complex issues and not just the basics. Don't care so much about service level and more about the member. In the day and age we live in people want things done yesterday and I felt this was never going to be a goal of theirs while working for Premera.

Great opportunities mixed with frequent forced-resignation

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsBeautiful campus and a strong sense of product value and commitment to members. Most teams strive for work/life balance and work cooperatively between each other. You can work at Premera for years and find it a wonderful place to grown and learn without experiencing the cons listed below. Or, you might run right into them.

ConsThe company is great at setting a strategic vision and poor with actually executing on that vision. There is a strong insecurity among the leadership caused by general lack of strategic clarity. Everyone is jousting for a place at the table and to be the one with the bright idea that steers the ship through health care reform, causing general confusion over who is actually steering, who should get credit for steering, when to take risks and when to play it safe. There is an atmosphere of fright and paranoia hovering over most major initiatives as the company has a culture of idolizing a manager or leader one season, to then have an initiative change ownership, be deemed a failure, and that manager or leader be forced to resign. Depending on your team, this has a trickle down effect to staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementForced resignations should not be so common place.

Analyst

Management Analyst (Current Employee) Mountlake Terrace, WA

ProsLocation North of Downtown Seattle. Attractive campus between buildings 1 through 4. Professional group of contributors that attracts from all industries. Large enough company to move around and work with cross functional teams.

ConsSome areas have have a rhetoric work/life balance. Some areas continue to support and harbor uncivilized behavior in dealing with other departments. Some areas, run in the red and cause so much disruption that there is no true added value. They essentialy do not promote what the sell.

Too much cover your own tush

Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsSome good benefits, nothing exceptional though
    If you get a good manager, job can be rewarding and interesting
    Certain departments are working hard to make the work enjoyable and to greatly improve their communication to all relevant employees

ConsOther departments have cloud of political fear hanging over them
    Confusion, inconsistency and withholding information rules the management style
    Unrealistic workloads on lower level jobs

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a Hard look at who has your back

I'd work here again

Personal Health Support Coach (Former Employee) Mountlake Terrace, WA

ProsSupportive work environment
    Compassionate and invested management team
    Good compensation and benefits
    Real commitment to helping their employees be healthy

ConsToo little work sometimes and potential for boredom
    Some late nights required due to operating hours of department
    Some employees are resting and vesting

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen hiring new talent and considering advancement from within the company, focus less on how good an employee looks on paper (ie, level of education, years of experience), and more on their initiative, creativity, and business acumen.

Worked for Premera Blue Cross? Contribute to the Community!