Premera Blue Cross

Updated October 13, 2014
2.9

Premera Blue Cross President, CEO, and Director Gubby Barlow
Gubby Barlow

Pros
  • It's a good place to work if work / life balance is important to you (in 25 reviews)

• Some good benefits, nothing exceptional though (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance does not exist in some parts of IT (in 8 reviews)

• Upper Management does not pay attention when issues are brought to their attention (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to start or grow your career.

Former Employee - Medical Underwriter in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Former Employee - Medical Underwriter in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Stable organization in growing industry; good opportunities for mentoring in multiple health insurance disciplines; good benefits package; assistance with furthering your education; flexible work hours in most job classes; possibility of telecommuting either full or part time for many positions; good campus location just north of Seattle.

Cons

Big campus-bring your walking/running shoes; working with PPI in a cubicle with your back & screen facing the entranceway; short on parking; associates are not provided with orientation that is sufficient to indicate how/why different sections work together or in support of one another, which would foster better cooperation.

Please make certain that all of your team leaders from top to bottom really appreciate their team members beyond lip-service.

Overall good place to work.

I worked at Premera Blue Cross

Pros

Great salary and benefits with opportunity to earn bonuses.

Cons

No mentorship or training provided.

Great people to work with

Current Employee - Assistant Actuarial Analyst in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Actuarial Analyst in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good work/life balance, walks, challenging, rewarding, great coworkers, good salary, good benefits, good company to work for

Cons

could get better entry level training

Maybe add more applicable entry level training. I want to hit the ground running but I feel frustrated because I don't know the basic protocols of my branch. Maybe this will just come with time..

Great place to get experience in different disciplines and gain experience to use at a more innovative company

Current Employee - Senior IT Analyst in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Current Employee - Senior IT Analyst in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It's a good place to work if work / life balance is important to you. Depending on what department you work in, you will likely have many opportunities for advancement and to build different skill-sets. Compensation has been good with chance for bonus (exempt employees).

Cons

Company is run by consensus and objectives are not clearly prioritized, communicated, and implemented from the top down. Leads to a fairly political climate where the rules change from day to day. There is a push to being more customer-centric, but this company is still mired in old ways of thinking about insurance and what customers want. From technology perspective, there is lip-service paid to innovation, but the technical debt is too high and business objectives too ambiguous to actually be innovative.

Be more cognizant of broken processes and attempt to fix them. Make more attempts to "pay" off the technical debt to attract (keep!) top talent. Find out from actual customers what they want in insurance and build those products rather than leaning on outmoded (needlessly complex) health plans paradigms. Be more transparent and honest about things that aren't working and stop trying to "make them work".

Great company in benefits and salary however they have no empathy for their employees.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The other employees and immediate supervisors and leads were all great. Get above that level they are not real.

Cons

No flexibility in management at all.

Wake up and smell the roses here what is your turn over rate. I think it is very high.

It's still the 20th century somewhere

Current Employee - IT Manager in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Location, location, location. Showers/locker rooms. It's horrible that the only thing that is great here appeals to people who are doing something other than working.

Cons

See the Pros. Also management is out of touch and is allowed to protect feifdoms.

Get a clue. Invest in technology and stop enabling lifers who measure their success in the numbers of drones who report to them. I actually had a VP argue not to put something online because it might drive a few calls from those who had questions.

This company is an obese antelope who is wallowing around on the beach at the waterhole. It is an argument for socialized medicine. At least the government is accountable to taxpayers.

The company itself is good, the Management team is not

Current Employee - Supervisor in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, flex schedule, stability, nice campus

Cons

Very closed company as far as who you know. Very tenured management, too rigid. Integrity is non existent, will say that you are great and have a façade to appease associates. Management is very clicky. You will see people talk behind each others back, as if it is the promoted culture

Change the management and get new innovative people. Get rid of the mentality that we have always done it this way. Also get rid of the tenured people that don't change. Just because you have been there 25 years doesn't mean that you are still good at the job.

Good leaders, challenging times

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, good leadership, great company values with leaders following those values, nice opportunities, great work-life balance, many jobs are stable, many people are kind and easy to work with, nice environment

Cons

conservative, slow to change and innovation, healthcare reform has many overworked and stressed, no work-out opportunities on site,

Stop ratcheting the opportunity for increased pay. The review cycle and structure is confusing which is causing multiple goals vs focus on the overall more important goals. Support innovative ideas. Hire new people faster.

Why I love working here

Current Employee - Senior ECommerce Product Manager in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Current Employee - Senior ECommerce Product Manager in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Every day, I look forward to coming to work. Any given day, there is a variety of interesting work to pick up or
    get involved in, and a fare amount of autonomy to make it happen. There are good, driven people working
    here, and people that really care about what they do and what they do for members and customers. I am
    lucky to work across many departments, from research, to sales and marketing, to biz dev, to product and
    innovation, to ops support, and most people are a pleasure to work with and very responsive. There is a
    range of jobs here, too, from actual doctors and nurses, to research marketers, to data analysts, to editors,
    to software developers and traditional ops/marketing jobs. I have seen (and perhaps dare I say, made)
    ideas happen here and get rapport, though I've also seen lab projects start and die. I actually feel like I can
    manage my "inbox" well here because we sit so closely with our teams, and everyone is a holler or an IM
    away for the most part; this isn't a case of a calendar overwhelmed with useless meetings as you are
    largely in charge of managing what you choose to partake in and where you feel needed. And maybe it's
    because of our proximity to tech, or because of some of our biggest customers being in tech, but Premera is
    actually quite a bit more web and mobile ready compared to many companies in its industry. I feel proud to
    work for Premera, and it's always met with respect when I mention it to my many counterparts in high tech. If
    you live and work in the Seattle area, you know Premera!
    It's also a job where you get to eat your own dogfood -- and it's helped me understand my own healthcare
    and benefit plans. I actually find myself able to better inform others about how it works and how to make
    better decisions about benefit coverage and healthcare, though there is still so much to learn and find out.
    And I do feel that it's had a positive impact on my wellness (minus the driving and being strapped in a car on
    an endless commute).
    Unique to eCommerce, we have changed our culture here a lot over the last couple years in trying to bring
    agile to development (moderately successfully) and to our roadmap planning. The greatest hurdles to
    overcome there have been working with 3rd parties that aren't on that type of cycle as well as internal project
    management / dependencies across departments. It's not unique to Premera and is largely a function of
    size, legacy, priorities, and the fact that this isn't really a tech company, and its projects are largely non-tech,
    so you're always competing for resources and attention. We've done a fair job with defining goals and
    targets, and we've been getting better at using metrics to drive decisions, but prioritization remains the
    greatest challenge, and hence generally large features take a while to roll out and frequently get cut out of
    scope to switch to more urgent maintenance asks or parallel competing priority. There just never seems to
    be enough developers to all the PMs and projects, and the UX budget is tiny, though it still always seems
    like Premera is hiring. There is some turnover we've seen over the past year from many team shifts and just
    the function of many contract workers. One great experiment I've seen go really well is bi-weekly demos we
    have started to showcase our work, and it's kept us accountable, diligent, as well as provided great visibility
    to internal stakeholders -- and it started out as a simple idea. So it's definitely possible to bring some
    positive change here.
    Broadly speaking, here are some other reasons to consider working here:
    -Stable industry & company -- goes without saying
    -Flexible hours for the most part though this is department specific. There is a normal expectation that you
    are here during core business hours and that you take responsibility for managing a balance between your
    work and personal needs.
    -Laptop and work phones for certain departments (probably based on job)
    -Great time off benefits
    -Modern layout, open concept space in eCommerce and plentiful whiteboarding space for creative people
    and analysts alike
    -Perks: club memberships, 10% off at the car dealerships down the street, discounts on cell phone plans,
    hotels that are in the Blues locations, zoo tickets
    -Attractive merit bonus opportunities
    -Generous pay is possible here although growth within a track may be limited
    -Love for Alaska and Northwest in general
    -Very nice walking trails on campus
    -Legal benefit gives you 25% off legal fees for (limited) network providers
    -Free EAP for life crisis or daily guidance -- think finances, taxes. They'll find you childcare and petcare
    options -- all for free. Like a personal concierge.
    -Great cafe with many choices including at least 1 vegetarian entree option, and a Starbucks right onsite and outdoor seating in the summer
    -Quarterly all-hands and department celebrations and one annual all-campus celebration
    -Frequent onsite screenings and mobile clinics
    -Nice size campus (4 main buildings) and close to a number of health facilities including Swedish campus
    down the street
    -Healthy perks and rewards for healthy lifestyle (not smoking, etc.), free bike rentals
    -Free medical insurance (no premium) if it's only you and you're healthy, reasonable dental, $400 towards
    glasses!
    -Very secure campus with 24 hour security, campus phones, badge in and out access, and you can ask for
    a lift around campus from security. Security and front desk folks are the nicest guys, and they know you by
    name. They also give you loaner badges and don't make a big deal out of it -- it's an easy process. And they
    reissue badges for free if you lose yours -- easy deactivation and reactivation process, right onsite and takes
    minutes.
    -Leadership training is available, and sometimes the entire department gets nice professional training right
    onsite that would cost $1000s to do individually. There are also online courses one can take as part of
    personal development
    -Paycheck, time off, performance management is all online and self-service -- no forms and no HR people
    to contact
    -Agile environment in certain departments, definitely see increasing innovation with introduction of more
    research departments
    -Responsive customer support, HR and benefit teams, and they actually take your feedback to improve their
    training content

Cons

-The commute is OK being that it's off 2 major highways (I-5 and SR-99) but it's still a hike from downtown.
    With some many employees living south, it'd be nice to see a downtown office
    -Parking is a competition if you plan to get to campus after 9 am (and many people on the IT side do)
    -Not very telecommuter friendly even though there are a number of telecommuters. VPN and telecommuter
    setup is possible by department exception but VPN is often spotty, conferencing options are dated and
    people often forget to call remote employees in
    -Facilities are cramped although open to improvements when you suggest them
    -In IT, you definitely have on call duty so do not assume your weekends or nights will be entirely work free
    -It's hard to actually leave campus to do "field research" so to speak if you are in sales & marketing. It's not
    really part of the job unless you carve it out
    -Many layers of separation between leadership and individual contributors. You have 0 visibility from your
    work unless you make it happen
    -Process bog-down -- yes, there are still some dinosaur policies and systems in place, so bringing
    transformation is in itself a transformative concept and a multi-year ambition
    -May be a rare company where PM contractors seem to have more power than full-time employees and
    relative immunity from performance/accountability

With the exception of IT, leadership seems to pop out to talk to employees once a quarter and does not
    appear approachable. Many layers of information away, and it takes great coordination to figure out who
    should sit at the table for decisions and how to make a complex matrix project run. It takes longer to
    organize than the work itself sometimes.

Typical Numbers Company - Employees are treated as numbers and not as people - So Sad...

Former Employee - Individual Customer Service in Spokane Valley, WA
    Former Employee - Individual Customer Service in Spokane Valley, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy Commute Location and Generally Great Co-Workers. There is really nothing else positive to add about Premera but its location being conveniently located off the highway and the co-workers are either stuck up kids or very nice.

Cons

Too Much Expected Of You For Very Little Pay - For A Health Insurance Company, The Benefits Aren't The Greatest - 401K Isn't Even A Company Match (now that is a very cheap corporation for you!) - Exceptionally High Stressful Job - Managers Have Their Favorites And If You Aren't One Of Them, You'd Better Watch Yourself!!

Stop Playing Favorites - Every Employee Deserves To Be Treated Equally!!