Premier Bankcard Holdings

Miles K Beacom

Great opportunity

Former Employee - Collections Representative II in Dakota Dunes, SD
    Former Employee - Collections Representative II in Dakota Dunes, SD

I worked at Premier Bankcard Holdings full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to work, especially right out of high school. As a collections or sales rep, they give you all of the training you need to succeed.
    If you're motivated and perform well there are cash incentives for meeting / exceeding the standards.
    Middle management are truly interested in seeing you succeed.

Cons

Can become very boring very fast. Must have A LOT of patience with the customers. If you don't have a plan for advancement, it's very easy to stay at a lower level for a long time.

I appreciate everything that my managers did for me. As a collections rep I was on two different teams and both managers went way above and beyond to make my schedule work. I don't know what went on at there level, but they often looked stressed out. My advise to upper management would be to take it easy on the middle management because they're working their butts off managing a dozen (sometimes lazy) personalities on their team.

Collections Rep II

Former Employee - Collections Representative II in Sioux Falls, SD
    Former Employee - Collections Representative II in Sioux Falls, SD

I worked at Premier Bankcard Holdings part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good monthly performance bonuses for a part time job. They have a pretty good program to track your monthly performance.

Cons

Large amounts of stress. Talking to angry confused people all day and asking them for money they owe that they don't have. On the phone all day and you might only get to talk to a handful of customers. Getting hung up on constantly. High turnover rate. Low starting pay. If

Make sure your top perfoming collection reps are not breaking the rules and if you know they are don't look the other way.

Okay Money, but no morale

Former Employee - Credit Teleservices in Dakota Dunes, SD
    Former Employee - Credit Teleservices in Dakota Dunes, SD

I worked at Premier Bankcard Holdings

Pros

Okay money, if you do good you receive bonuses

Cons

low morale, no career growth, all about seniority there, not the greatest pay for what you have to do, sell a card with high apr and lots of fees to people who don't understand it, and company wants you to sell no matter what

idk

Collections

Current Employee - Collections Representative in Sioux Falls, SD
    Current Employee - Collections Representative in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Premier Bankcard Holdings

Pros

Low hiring standards. Great benefits, good amount of time off and fairly good pay.

Cons

With the ongoing changes in credit card laws the bank's profit margin has taken a hit. Because of this the collections department gets jerked around quite a bit as they look for new ways to remain profitable and ahead of the game. People are getting moved all over the department, and the management keeps changing what work people do and when and for how much.

Instead of just arbitrarily changing the rules offer an explanation. We aren't in grade school and we don't appreciate the just because answer.

Great place to work right out of high school

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Watertown, SD
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Watertown, SD

I worked at Premier Bankcard Holdings

Pros

Premier Bankcard employees start with a generous wage with plenty of opportunities to increase pay. My position would have started at $8.38 for daytime hours, but I worked the 12:30 to 9:00 pm shift so I received a 10% increase in pay for a starting wage of $9.22 per hour. You have an opportunity to receive 10% increase in pay everytime you rep up from Rep 1 to Rep 2 and Rep 2 to Rep 3. I believe you can rep up after about 3 months on the job. This increased my pay to $10.14/hour. Also after 3 months you have the ability to earn a monthly bonus or incentive. In customer service you received points each month based on your calls per hour, dollars collected per hour and your quality score. The points translate to a payout of between .02 cents and .13 cents per call you made that month. My best incentive check was $250. Premier also offers opportunities for advancement into a Supervisory type position which also pays more. Once a year you will have a review and as long as your job performance is satisfactory you will get an increase in pay--probably about 10%.

Premier has all the standard employee benefits-health/dental/eye insurance, life insurance, 401k with match, paid vacation time and paid holidays. I did not elect to have health insurance, but the dental and eye insurance were free. Benefits are available to all employees who work 20+ hours a week.

Premier really tries to make employees happy. Every month there are opportunities to win gift cards and prizes. Every summer they have an event for employees to attend which has included seeing Jay Leno & Jeff Foxworthy perform.

I should also mention when you start working you will have a couple weeks of paid training.

Cons

The worst part about working for Premier Bankcard is the fact that you are dealing with sub-prime credit card holders. This is not to say sub-prime cardholders are bad-its the fact that a lot of the folks who have a Premier credit card are poor (MANY are on social security) and/or illiterate. I don't want to say Premier preys on these people...but they kind of do. The credit card has a very low limit with lots of fees billed right away, which is understandable--people with this card either have no credit history or have very poor credit history. I understand people have to start somewhere if you are building or rebuilding credit. It just doesn't seem right when you get callers who cannot even read the letters they get in the mail. I got a lot of calls from people thinking pre-approved offers with the cardboard credit card were real credit cards. So many of the people you talk to just do not have the kind of money for a credit card, even one with a limit of $250. Living off of a couple hundred dollars a month makes it real hard to squeeze an extra $20 or $30 for a credit card payment. It's even harder when they can't read their bill and don't know their due date, and next thing they're charged $25 for a late fee that they can't afford. Don't get me wrong, working in customer service is a lot less stressful than it would be to work in the collections department. Just don't be surprised if you run into callers who you really feel for their situation..or if at times you feel what you are doing is not ethical. Ultimately, I could not justify working there anymore..my personal values conflicted with the nature of the work. One last thing-probably the hardest and most frequent phone call you have to deal with is the one where you need to explain to the cardholder why their payment they made 7 days ago is still not available for credit. Premier has a payment hold policy where any unguaranteed payment (anything that is not Western Union Quick Collect or an RPPS payment) can be held for up to 15 days before becoming available. As a rule I generally explained this to people if they said they were going to need to use their credit card right away, however customer service largely gets to deal with the people who made a payment as a result of being in collections. Collectors are much shadier and aren't going to be as up front about the possibility of payment hold-even if the person says they need to use the card in a couple days. Trust me, that phone call sucks. Even after working there for 16 months, I still hadn't perfected the art of explaining the payment hold in a manner that wouldn't make the customer irate or ruin my calls per hour.

If the payment hold policy is still in effect, it needs to be updated. Collectors need to be more responsible about letting people that specifically state they need to use the card about the possibility of a hold. Otherwise customer service gets to deal with the ramifications. Collections wins out with possible increase in incentive, while customer service stands to decrease their incentive if they have to deal with so many of these calls. Seriously.

Talk to a former representative before accepting any position with this company

Former Employee - Collections Represantiive in Spearfish, SD
    Former Employee - Collections Represantiive in Spearfish, SD

I worked at Premier Bankcard Holdings

Pros

They have one of the highest starting pay rates for any "white collar" job in the Spearfish area. They provide better benefits than many other "white collar" employers do. They have a good in-house training program.

Cons

Employees are under constant pressure from middle management to produce continually higher results. Employees who don't produce their monthly quota are disciplined by their immediate supervisor and criticized for not producing enough results. They are also placed on "probation" until their numbers up to where the company expects them to be. And once on probation, the employee may stay there indefinitely; weeks, months, and perhaps longer.

Try to be more sportive of those employees who are trying to do a good job and meet the companies quotas. Don't threaten them with probation for not meeting pre-determined quotas that some people may not be able to achieve, despite their best efforts. They need to remember that the representatives are are only "human" and that they DO make mistakes.