Premier Exhibitions Reviews

8 reviews filtered by
2.2
Samuel Weiser
1 Rating

1. Is it better to work during a company's ascent or it's decline?

Former Employee - Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Premier Exhibitions full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Tons of exciting information to be explored and discussed inside the exhibitions. The work itself takes little effort. The company culture is relaxed and accepting of all of the world's misguided geniuses. Management is excellent at choosing the right people to move up.

Cons

The man who formed Premier Exhibitions was forced out of his company a few years ago. Staff at the exhibitions were reduced dramatically. It's not the fortuitous place that it once was.

Advice to Management

Don't put unnecessary restrictions on employee behavior. Docents need their books. Docents need to speak with docents. Greeters need their phones. Prohibiting doesn't improve anyone's experience. (Give them paid lunch breaks too.)

2. Sinking the Titanic Again

I have been working at Premier Exhibitions

Pros

None, None, None, None, None, None

Cons

Executive management is incompetent. The company is broke. Fringe benefits are terrible.

Advice to Management

Quit!

Pompeii: The Exhibition

Former Employee - Photographer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Photographer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Premier Exhibitions part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I interacted with a variety of people from all over the world, as I photographed them for green screen souvenir photos.

Cons

My immediate supervisor forced me to harass people who didn't want to be photographed. Capture rates/the almighty dollar were her bottom line.

Advice to Management

Hire people who are experienced and fit to manage. I was forced to stand all day, often not being given a break. I was not allowed to clock in/out, or log and review my hours before they were submitted. I was threatened by a co-worker and, when my immediate supervisor (who was off that day) did not respond to my text messages, I reported the incident to a supervisor at the host museum. A few days later I was fired for "performance" issues. Premier Exhibitions promotes retaliation and a hostile work environment.

5. More bad than good

Former Employee - Medical Docent/Artifact Specialist in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Medical Docent/Artifact Specialist in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Premier Exhibitions part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Beautifully designed exhibits, lots of interaction with public and educational groups, lots of opportunities to learn from colleagues

Cons

management is unorganized, promotes workplace conflict, doesn't step in to resolve issues or address concerns, no raises, arbitrary policies enforced.

Advice to Management

Adhere to federal fair labor laws.

A fun job but lacking in upper management .

Former Employee - Docent in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Docent in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Premier Exhibitions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

if you work as a docent and get hours ,it will be one of the best jobs of your life .
    You can talk with all types of people and teach a overview of biology .
    You learn a lot from coworkers .
    You get to work in a strange and wonderful place that never gets old ,because of the customers who see it for the first time and you get to be part of that .
    You will get to work with eccentricities and nerds of all kinds .i wanted to wright a book about it .
    The new management at the vegas location.It is proactive in fixing problems and will listen to you . You will have a lot of trust in them . You can tell everyone wants you to be happy and for the whole exhibit to set a standard above any expectation.

Cons

The upper management is heartless and is looking to fire and cut cost ,but takes 6 figure pay and travels a large amount at company expense . The lower management was vary bad too with a lot of nepotism ,but that was fixed .Now some of the best people i have ever known are running lower management. with natural apptudes for leadership ,

Advice to Management

Number 1 don't micro manage .
    Make a 8hr work day not 6hr ,stop cutting shifts below 30hrs people need 40 to live.
    Let the lower management run with Independence and go to a franchise style management structure .The more hands off the better .
    Offer the employs stock .If you own a part of something ,you will be more concerned .
    Smarter use of advertising . Have events for Media .
    Know state labor laws,and if you don't listen those who do.

It was a fun challenge to work with a company that has exhibitions worldwide and graphics in many languages.

Current Employee - Graphics Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Graphics Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Premier Exhibitions

Pros

The support staff at Premier were very competent and creative. Always going above and beyond to get the job done. Pulling together as a team to meet impossible deadlines.

Cons

The management set very unrealistic deadlines and was not good at communicating all the relevant details to the support staff.

Ever seen The Three Stooges? Like that but with out the falls and smacks...

Former Employee - Box Office, Customer Service, Retail Gift Shop in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Premier Exhibitions

Pros

It was a very easy place to work and a very interesting exhibit. I was mainly box office and all you had to to is get 20% audio guide sales. Most of my fellow employees were a delight to work with. This is a great place for temporary work.

Cons

So many to list.
    -Management was terrible. They knew everything about the exhibit in detail but knew nothing about how to manage employees. I would say 80% of the time management would sit in the office amongst themselves or on cell phones (which were apparently forbidden) instead of assisting employees.
    -Contradictory or unexplainable rules. When the exhibit first opened we all were strongly encouraged to read the books in the retail section so we had more ability to sell and up-sell items. About a month into the job, reading was banned and you could get written up for it. The same happened with sitting. At first management said we could sit when no customers were around then later all stools and chairs were taken away.
    -Management did not know where anything was or how to do simple task. It seemed like most important items that were vital to the retail area were lost or misplaced. Memory cards for digital photography were lost. Most retail items were not restocked. Cash register paper was regularly missing. None of management were aware of how to change the printer paper for photos or even where the printer paper was located. Logging in to the box office computers became a difficult task because only one manager knew the password.
    -Impersonal treatment of customers. As soon as the customer had paid management did not care about anything else. Aside from the occasional greeting of school groups management had nothing to do with customers. When problems came up many customers were ignored and at multiple times avoided. On one particular occasion a couple came in with a small dog (pets were strictly prohibited) and management wanted an employee to tell them to leave after they had already paid. If a customer had a complaint it was usually avoided or ignored.
    -Scheduling was atrocious. We received our schedules a week ahead usually but it really made no difference because it would be revised 2 to 3 times before it was finalized. Plus the duty of scheduling manager would change every few weeks so no one really knew who to talk to when there was a discrepancy with the schedule or to request days off. These task were reduced to placing a sticky note on a random manager's desk and hoping the scheduling manager would receive it.

Some other things that were just pet peeves. I will say that, if you are working box office, selling more audio guides does not equal more hours.

Advice to Management

At the end of the exhibition in Saint Louis, all of management was terminated. This is probably the single best thing that could have been done to improve the exhibit.

Employment served its purpose

Former Employee - Docent in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Docent in Columbus, OH

I worked at Premier Exhibitions

Pros

Flexible schedule, temporary positions. Nice fill-in job.

Cons

Poor corporate office management and knowledge

Advice to Management

More respect needed