Premier Foods

Updated August 14, 2014
2.2

Michael A. (Mike) Clarke

Low Morale...

Current Employee - Sales  in  Saint Albans, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales in Saint Albans, England (UK)

I have been working at Premier Foods full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Talented people work at head office. The company owns well known British brands. You can learn a lot in a short period of time.

Cons

Lots of good people are leaving the company and it is hard to find good replacements for them. Consequently, remaining staff are overstretched.

Manufacturing operator

Former Employee - Production Operative  in  Histon, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Production Operative in Histon, England (UK)

I worked at Premier Foods full-time for less than a year

Pros

A lot of hours if you just there for the money like I was, so a decent place to work during summer.

Cons

I worked in almost all departments. Some a very physically demanding, especially in summer when there is often no effective cooling. For example, for a good month I had to work in a food processing department where there is no ventilation and it gets very messy, your sleeves and trousers get covered in jam and coupled with heat its really unbearable and physically demanding. Management often insists on you working a 12 hour shift and if you refuse, you get a disliked and have less chance of returning to work. In easier departments you often only get 2 breaks (one 15 mins and one 30 mins) in 12 hours!! Also If you're an agency employee, you can get sent home any time if there are problems with machinery for instance.

Value employees more and look after their help!

Premier in name but not in nature

Former Employee - Office  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Office in London, England (UK)

I worked at Premier Foods full-time for less than a year

Pros

Respect goes to alot of contractors and workers whom I worked with. Alot of intelligent people who did there utmost to get our place of work into the best possible position it could be.

Cons

Mangement at the top are only interested in themselves not their staff. Such poor communications in this company beggers belief. Systems that crash when too many people log in. Lack of investment in the factories, means they are crumbling at the seams. And worse thing is this company is supposed to be making food products! Leaking roofs, machinery constantly breaking down, I could list alot of issues here. Its no wonder further factories are closing and I am sure not the last. Management from head office will mess you around no end, never helpful nor communicative. Worst company I ever worked for in my life.

Is it possible to put in a minus rating?

Pull your socks up. Send the big boss out to the factories and see whats really going on. Roll your sleeves up and do a bit of work before you destroy the brand completely! Stop playing the blame game! All chiefs and no indians!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Vile company full of bullies

Former Employee - Executive  in  Saint Albans, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Executive in Saint Albans, England (UK)

I worked at Premier Foods full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very Good experience for a short time

Cons

No work life balance, no investment .Ruined good businesses , sold others cheaply , to fund massive debts , no bonus . Contsatntly had to be in contact 24-7 Salaries uncompetitive .Depressing, highly stressful.Civilised behaviour was frowned upon , early meetings and very late finishes are the norm.

The company is dysfuntional

Dreadful company to work for

Former Employee - Production Manager  in  Worksop, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Production Manager in Worksop, England (UK)

I worked at Premier Foods full-time for more than a year

Pros

Its the biggest food manufacturer in the UK, plenty of well known brands and sites across the UK

Cons

I didn't get any support, no training, I wasn't given the correct resources and tools to do my job properly. Management were very unhelpful, the culture was really bad, very negative. A really bad experience all round, never again!!!!!

Invest in your people and assets, train your people properly, give them the right tools to do their job, set a positive culture from the top down, treat people with respect, give them a chance to shine!!!!!

Not the best

I worked at Premier Foods

Pros

Nice working atmosphere among colleagues at same level.
    Relaxed and lively, mostly young environment.
    Nice spacious modern offices in city centre.

Cons

Misleading - hired to work in one department - stuck working in another with no challenge or opportunities.
    Bad management/communication.
    Cliques - if somebody decides they don't like you they will team up and find reasons to get rid.
    I saw this happen and was not there long.

Invest in the right people. Make employees feel valued. Have more of a personal feel to procedures than rule book techniques.

A challenging time for Premier Foods

I worked at Premier Foods

Pros

Premier Foods was the UK's largest food manufacturer and had significant ambitions to grow through the acquisition of RHM and a number of high-profile brands. Strong operational skills and experience were valued.

Cons

A tough operating environment and complex political coupled with significant debt made this a challenging and not always enjoyable place to work.

Continue to reduce debt, focus on core businesses, continue to promote cross-functional working.

Premier Foods

Current Employee - Business Account Manager  in  Saint Albans, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Business Account Manager in Saint Albans, England (UK)

I have been working at Premier Foods full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Exciting, ever changing, you literally don't know what's going to happen next.

Cons

No long term security due to massive debt & possibility of divestments, not much NPD or investment in new capabilities to drive the business forward.

Keep up the communication, be honest and get the staff to buy into and back the turnaround plan. People are taking a leap of faith joining the business at this time so recognise that.

I would not recommend working here if you want to enjoy your job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Albans, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Albans, England (UK)

I worked at Premier Foods full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Mid to higher end salaries, well known household food brands, excellent individuals attracted by high salary, St Albans is a great location for families

Cons

Unrealistic targets creating apathetic approach to goals in commercial team; fear of job security resulted in self preservation and blame culture and lack of ownership; very high employee turnover whilst under-resourced resulting in poor work-life balance and lack of knowledge continuity; very poor decision making authority amongst mid to senior management with board members required for day to day commercial decisions; limited examples of internal promotions with senior positions predominantly filled externally thus contributing to the lack of cultural identity;

Employees don't just work for money. To motivate it is important to empower people with decision making authority, training, coaching, career planning.

Good place to work in procurement though heavily male oriented

Former Employee - Procurement Manager  in  Worksop, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Procurement Manager in Worksop, England (UK)

I worked at Premier Foods full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Professional development, good systems and processes. Competitive salaries for new joiners. Strong brands. Good pension scheme, pleasant working environments.

Cons

Male dominated, cronyism, company deeply endebted following expensive acquisitions of Campbells and RHM. Head office (St. Albans) employees treated markedly better than those at other sites - enhanced benefits etc.

Level the pay, focus on the brands, ditch the consultants.

Worked for Premier Foods? Contribute to the Community!