Premier Salons

Updated November 12, 2014
Updated November 12, 2014
1.6

Brian Luborsky

Great Stylists, Bad Management.

Former Employee - Stylist
    Former Employee - Stylist

I worked at Premier Salons part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was hired right out of beauty school despite not having any sort of following and being very uncertain in my skills. In every salon I worked in, all of the stylists were very encouraging, supportive, and I received great additional training at their hands. They were always encouraging me to watch them work, willing to answer any questions I had, and were happy to watch me work when they knew I was uncertain about something to reassure me I was doing well.

Cons

During the time I worked for Premier, they started switching over to a digital appointment system. As someone who is fairly computer literate, I found the PoS program they set us up with to be the furthest thing from user friendly; the manual they provided us with for the program was also for a completely different version and therefore was unusable; whenever issues came up that we couldn't figure out, we were told to call "IT." "IT" was someone at corporate reading off of the same manual we were provided with.

When I first started working for the company, I was employed at one of their Sears locations. We were originally open every day and I was working full-time; after a couple of months, they started cutting back not only the salon hours, but the stylists hours. I started in July and this continued until December at which point the salon was only open three or four days a week and I was down to working 10 hours. A week before Christmas, we were informed that the salon would be closing after the holidays unless we could pick up business.

The company also wanted to start doing facials again while I was still working for them, but, while they did provide us with all of the product we needed as well as set up training classes with the product company (which were fantastic), they wouldn't put in the money to give us the equipment or tools we needed to effectively use the product or provide the service. They expected us to use the equipment that had been sitting in storage since the LAST time they offered facials -- which was apparently over twenty years ago.

In the end I ended up getting fired because I wasn't bringing in enough money. Which is fair, I spent most of my work time as a glorified receptionist near the end. But at the same time, at the end I was spreading 14-17 work hours between two different salons over an hour away from each other and with very different clientele. Not to mention the fact that most of the salons are so hidden in their respective department stores that no one knows they exist -- even the one in Saks 5th Ave in NYC is hidden in the basement, only accessible by elevator with no indication anywhere else in the store that there's a salon -- so the possibility for walk-ins is almost nonexistent.

Advertise! Stop assuming that the way to fix the problem of too few clients is to significantly reduce the number of hours that the salon is open for.

Shell out the money for quality software that can actually be used and hire people who can actually troubleshoot.

disorganized

I worked at Premier Salons full-time

Pros

travel product shows training enetrtainment

Cons

hours salary mis management communication high turnover

Manager

I have been working at Premier Salons

Pros

The salons run like small businesses. Im not sure if that's actually because upper management has no clue or if it's intentional.

I'm very lucky in that the staff I work with are amazing.

Cons

We aren't in the loop about anything.

I get that they can't warn a salon that they are closing because the staff will all quit, but the company is closing stores all the time so there is very little job security.

Really hard to get product. Strict retail goals with nothing to sell.
    Staff often purchase their own supplies since sometimes we don't get them, color, foil, wax strips, etc.l
    Staff is very underpaid, so they're often apathetic and I don't blame them.

I feel like the salon is a sinking ship that I'm trying to bail out with a teaspoon.

Update salons. stock them. pay the staff.
    Update computer system. Update website.
    Maybe just start over.

Clueless

I worked at Premier Salons full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Wish I could say something nice, met some nice people...some great technicians who did great technical work

Cons

Terrible pay, No support from corporate, facilities falling apart and no one cares

Favorite Job I ever had

Former Employee - District Manager
    Former Employee - District Manager

I worked at Premier Salons full-time

Pros

Supportive Corporate staff who are all working towards the same goal. Fun environment.

Cons

No long term future. Company will eventually fold. A lot of work for just ok money.

Keep product in the stores and salons!

Premier is headed in the right direction!

I have been working at Premier Salons full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone seems to have a voice with the CEO which is very rare. Despite the up's and down's, the great energy from the majority of the employees is motivating and tells a clear story. Your hard work does pay off and the bonus potential in amazing.

Cons

There have been up's and down's which can test the employees "faith" or stability in a company.

Continue to listen to each locations individual needs, specifically product and marketing.

The most Unethical Company I have ever worked for!

I worked at Premier Salons full-time

Pros

There are truly none to share.

Cons

They do not pay their bills, so therefore you do to get products on time, vendors simply want deal with you anymore because they have not paid their bills. Facilities are rundown but they expect you to find new talent with a book-lol!! They do not pay there rent, sell gift cards at locations they know they are going to close which is illegal. Expect for you to continue with business as usual all the while they are lying about the real operations of the business. It is simply pathetic and they need to be stopped!!

Upper Management-They are one group of immoral and pathetic human beings. They are not willing to stand up and tell the CEO the truth about anything pertaining to the business for fear of losing their job. So unorganized, chaotic and sad!

Not a good place to work

I worked at Premier Salons full-time

Pros

My Vice President of Operations was nice

Cons

The salons are dated and most of the clientele is elderly, the upper management/owner should have thought of ways years ago to obtain new business.There is no color or retail in the warehouse so when the managers go to order they do not receive anything but yet they are expected to have retail at 10% or higher, you can't sell what you don't have.Directors are expected to keep profit up and loss down by means of closing the salon several days of the week unfortunately this results in loss of potential new clients. In addition to closing several days they are expected to reduce hours to which only leads to clients being upset because they never know when the salon is open. The turn around in Directors is ridiculous. The Directors can not focus on sales and profit when they are running around fixing computers, payrolls and buying color ( which is more expensive at these stores than from the warehouse).

Stop getting rid of good help, spend some money on cleaning up the salons and get some product in your warehouse so your help doesn't have to buy product to do their clients out of their own pocket.

High end salon/spa, low end wages.

Current Employee - Receptionist in Westland, MI
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Westland, MI

I have been working at Premier Salons part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free services if a stylist is willing to work on you, handsome discount on retail products in salon.

Cons

You certainly do not get paid enough for what you do. The company is falling apart. You're prohibited to eat at the desk but don't have any time to take a break and work alone so no can relieve you for a lunch break.
    They don't tell you what you're going to make - you go in expecting a decent pay because it's a receptionist position in a nice salon. You don't find out until you're hired and do paperwork.
    They also don't tell you in order to make commission (10%) you have to sell over $100/week. Well, retail doesn't sell that much in the salon.

Pay your employees for what they're worth.

Owner needs to go to business school!!!

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Premier Salons full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Staff in salon! Everything else worst experience ever!! Didnt pay rent twice and then closes us without notice then wants us to come back in to pack up umm NO!!

Cons

No product head ofiice has no idea what they are doing! Owner should visit his stores out dated and no product what an embarrassment to have product stores with no product REALLY!!!

Get out brfore he closes your store!!!