Premier Salons

Updated September 6, 2014
Updated September 6, 2014
1.7

Brian Luborsky

Great Stylists, Bad Management.

Former Employee - Stylist
    Former Employee - Stylist

I worked at Premier Salons part-time for more than a year

Pros

I was hired right out of beauty school despite not having any sort of following and being very uncertain in my skills. In every salon I worked in, all of the stylists were very encouraging, supportive, and I received great additional training at their hands. They were always encouraging me to watch them work, willing to answer any questions I had, and were happy to watch me work when they knew I was uncertain about something to reassure me I was doing well.

Cons

During the time I worked for Premier, they started switching over to a digital appointment system. As someone who is fairly computer literate, I found the PoS program they set us up with to be the furthest thing from user friendly; the manual they provided us with for the program was also for a completely different version and therefore was unusable; whenever issues came up that we couldn't figure out, we were told to call "IT." "IT" was someone at corporate reading off of the same manual we were provided with.

When I first started working for the company, I was employed at one of their Sears locations. We were originally open every day and I was working full-time; after a couple of months, they started cutting back not only the salon hours, but the stylists hours. I started in July and this continued until December at which point the salon was only open three or four days a week and I was down to working 10 hours. A week before Christmas, we were informed that the salon would be closing after the holidays unless we could pick up business.

The company also wanted to start doing facials again while I was still working for them, but, while they did provide us with all of the product we needed as well as set up training classes with the product company (which were fantastic), they wouldn't put in the money to give us the equipment or tools we needed to effectively use the product or provide the service. They expected us to use the equipment that had been sitting in storage since the LAST time they offered facials -- which was apparently over twenty years ago.

In the end I ended up getting fired because I wasn't bringing in enough money. Which is fair, I spent most of my work time as a glorified receptionist near the end. But at the same time, at the end I was spreading 14-17 work hours between two different salons over an hour away from each other and with very different clientele. Not to mention the fact that most of the salons are so hidden in their respective department stores that no one knows they exist -- even the one in Saks 5th Ave in NYC is hidden in the basement, only accessible by elevator with no indication anywhere else in the store that there's a salon -- so the possibility for walk-ins is almost nonexistent.

Advertise! Stop assuming that the way to fix the problem of too few clients is to significantly reduce the number of hours that the salon is open for.

Shell out the money for quality software that can actually be used and hire people who can actually troubleshoot.

Favorite Job I ever had

Former Employee - District Manager
    Former Employee - District Manager

I worked at Premier Salons full-time

Pros

Supportive Corporate staff who are all working towards the same goal. Fun environment.

Cons

No long term future. Company will eventually fold. A lot of work for just ok money.

Keep product in the stores and salons!

Premier is headed in the right direction!

I have been working at Premier Salons full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Everyone seems to have a voice with the CEO which is very rare. Despite the up's and down's, the great energy from the majority of the employees is motivating and tells a clear story. Your hard work does pay off and the bonus potential in amazing.

Cons

There have been up's and down's which can test the employees "faith" or stability in a company.

Continue to listen to each locations individual needs, specifically product and marketing.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The most Unethical Company I have ever worked for!

I worked at Premier Salons full-time

Pros

There are truly none to share.

Cons

They do not pay their bills, so therefore you do to get products on time, vendors simply want deal with you anymore because they have not paid their bills. Facilities are rundown but they expect you to find new talent with a book-lol!! They do not pay there rent, sell gift cards at locations they know they are going to close which is illegal. Expect for you to continue with business as usual all the while they are lying about the real operations of the business. It is simply pathetic and they need to be stopped!!

Upper Management-They are one group of immoral and pathetic human beings. They are not willing to stand up and tell the CEO the truth about anything pertaining to the business for fear of losing their job. So unorganized, chaotic and sad!

Not a good place to work

I worked at Premier Salons full-time

Pros

My Vice President of Operations was nice

Cons

The salons are dated and most of the clientele is elderly, the upper management/owner should have thought of ways years ago to obtain new business.There is no color or retail in the warehouse so when the managers go to order they do not receive anything but yet they are expected to have retail at 10% or higher, you can't sell what you don't have.Directors are expected to keep profit up and loss down by means of closing the salon several days of the week unfortunately this results in loss of potential new clients. In addition to closing several days they are expected to reduce hours to which only leads to clients being upset because they never know when the salon is open. The turn around in Directors is ridiculous. The Directors can not focus on sales and profit when they are running around fixing computers, payrolls and buying color ( which is more expensive at these stores than from the warehouse).

Stop getting rid of good help, spend some money on cleaning up the salons and get some product in your warehouse so your help doesn't have to buy product to do their clients out of their own pocket.

High end salon/spa, low end wages.

Current Employee - Receptionist  in  Westland, MI
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Westland, MI

I have been working at Premier Salons part-time for less than a year

Pros

Free services if a stylist is willing to work on you, handsome discount on retail products in salon.

Cons

You certainly do not get paid enough for what you do. The company is falling apart. You're prohibited to eat at the desk but don't have any time to take a break and work alone so no can relieve you for a lunch break.
    They don't tell you what you're going to make - you go in expecting a decent pay because it's a receptionist position in a nice salon. You don't find out until you're hired and do paperwork.
    They also don't tell you in order to make commission (10%) you have to sell over $100/week. Well, retail doesn't sell that much in the salon.

Pay your employees for what they're worth.

Owner needs to go to business school!!!

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Premier Salons full-time for more than a year

Pros

Staff in salon! Everything else worst experience ever!! Didnt pay rent twice and then closes us without notice then wants us to come back in to pack up umm NO!!

Cons

No product head ofiice has no idea what they are doing! Owner should visit his stores out dated and no product what an embarrassment to have product stores with no product REALLY!!!

Get out brfore he closes your store!!!

Save your paper don't even bother with a resume!

Former Employee - Manager  in  Surrey, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Manager in Surrey, BC (Canada)

I worked at Premier Salons full-time for more than a year

Pros

I would like to write a pro here but I have sat here for about 15 min and can't think if a dam one!

Cons

Pretty much the entire company is a con!

Unrealistic expectations,
    Working overtime to get deadlines done without any compensation
    Poor benefit package
    very run down salons that laterally falling apart!
    He doesn't pay his vendors so no money means no product
    noncompetitive pay

and the list goes on and on!

Hire directors who actually know what the hell they are doing and stop firing the ones that actually do care!

There are no words to describe the time and hard work I wasted with this company

Former Employee - Director of Operations  in  Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Director of Operations in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Premier Salons full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

~ No one will be watching you as no one cares
    ~ Career Opportunities TONS as no one stays!

Cons

~ Old run down locations that have not had any money put back into them since the day they opened and they cannot understand why they cannot make budgets and attract great talent.
    ~ Salons closing down all over the USA and Canada by the employer and\or by malls changing the locks over night due to rent not being paid in months several hundred have closed over the last few years with no notice to the employees.

Stop letting Directors go that actually go to work out in the field everyday instead of keeping the ones that do not going to work they stay home and no one in the locations can get a hold of them as they do not respond to emails or answer their phones when a manager needs an answer!

Poor management and company organization

I have been working at Premier Salons

Pros

Great co-workers and location is close to highway

Cons

poor management and company organization - to many lay-offs and department changes so people are constantly being asked to do more and more, with compensation

Figure it out and try to keep good staff

Worked for Premier Salons? Contribute to the Community!