Preqin

Updated Jun 17, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mark O'Hare

Great company to work for, excellent compensation and culture

Sales Consultant (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

Pros- Base and commission are generous
    - Speak to top people in industry on regular basis
    - Best product in the market makes Preqin an easy sell
    - Culture of NYC office is great
    - Paid for me and others to do CAIA
    - Work life balance is good: no long hours, good vacation allowance, summer Fridays scheme

Cons- They hold onto poor performers for too long
    - The IT guys are all in London so no support in afternoon, no real HR support in NYC
    - Company can be disorganized, not good at explaining new product features

Advice to Senior ManagementGet finance, IT and HR functions in NYC
    Cut the dead weight!

Great Culture! Great Company!

Sales Consultant (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsI work on the sales side here at Preqin and thoroughly enjoy my job. I am passionate for finance especially the PE/ hedge fund space specifically and am building a solid foundation for a career in the alternative assets space. I have learned a lot and get paid well doing something I enjoy. The comp structure is generous with a solid base salary plus commission.

ConsI do not have many complaints. I tend to learn best on the job so the lack of formal training was not a problem for me. The only thing I can think of is better communication between the NY and London office.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick with what we do well; up-to-date profiles and more information on smaller firms. Do not spread ourselves too thin by launching too many new products.

Great company to work for.

New York, NY

ProsThe best part about working here is that everyone is young, easy to get along with, and they don't micromanage. I would say you have to generally like learning about and discussing the alternatives industry to enjoy your work, but not to enjoy working here. I happen to like both and find it very rewarding. The culture is great; we have 2 official annual company socials, occasional socials on fridays, and a flexible work schedule including an optional half day on fridays during the summer.

ConsThere isn't much organized training. I started by sitting in on meeting, but a lot of preparation needs to be done on your own if you want to speed up the learning curve. Since the company is based in London, most of the important IT and Research people are located abroad which can be frustrating if you need to contact someone during US hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement a comprehensive training program, and move some support roles for IT and research to the US.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

What's not to love?

New York, NY

ProsI graduated with a Finance degree in 2012 and immediately began working at Preqin's New York City office. It is now May 2014 and I am still here and still happy with my job! Everyone here is hardworking, yet easygoing. My colleagues were easy to get along with. The summer and Christmas socials definitely helped, and were a lot of fun.

Management is also a strength at Preqin. You will never be scolded or anything like that. The upper management is very encouraging and also understanding.

ConsThere are no Cons that immediately come to mind. I really have no complaints of my first job out of college. I know people that have been through 3-4 jobs in the past two years, and I'm still here...

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing! This company is growing at an impressive rate.

It’s a diverse and collaborative environment where everyone can succeed.

New York, NY

ProsDon’t let the other reviews (mainly for the London office) fool you. The NYC office environment is amazing (great banter amongst colleagues).You’ll receive training on your specialized asset class with great managing analysts who provide detailed feedback. Lots of room for growth into senior positions and various other positions in the company.
    -Entry level: Great place to start your career in the finance world and obtaining knowledge on alternative assets (PE, HF, RE, INFRA)
    -The role can be repetitive at times but you will be exposed to a variety of projects such as blogs, writing monthly newsletters, speaking with a diverse range of people in the alt. asset industry
    - Great Upper Management- always respectful and willing to talk

ConsSnack selection needs improvement (needs more variety)
    -Pay scale is on the low side of the industry average
    -Yes, you may get lots of voicemails and have to log calls on the system but that’s part of the job.

Great place to start a career

New York, NY

Pros-Interact with top people and groups in the alternative asset universe as a first point of contact (investors, fund managers, consultants, banks, law firms etc.) Countless 'top' firms globally are clients at all product levels (HF, PE, RE and Inf.) Thousands of unique firms controlling tens of trillions of dollars under mgmt
    -Young friendly staff, supportive team leaders who constantly hit team goals
    -Learn a ton about an exciting and important industry, respect and notoriety across all professionals and alternative firms
    -If you are passionate about something that will help the business and your professional career they will fully support you ( e.g. CFA, CAIA charters, developing a new product for the company)
    -Best data and research in the industry period, constantly written about in top publications, reports and media, partnerships with top firms when doing reports and other projects.
    -Great salary, full benefits, awesome work-life balance, great vacation allotment
    -Barely any turnover in NYC/SF

Cons-Not enough IT staff/developers for a company that relies heavily on technology
    -If you don't produce well/ fit in you won't be let go, just not promoted which leaves some dead-weight employees around the office that can bring down team goals and targets

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on more functionality within certain products for deeper analysis "sleekness." Let go of under performing employees more often. Keep more teams informed of future plans (which has been improving last few quarters anyway.)

A toxic work environment

ProsThe working hours are good and there is a small core of decent hard working individuals who have been there for a while and who seem to care about the company and what they do.

ConsThere is absolutely zero scope for career progression. I agree with a previous reviewer - the pick of the jobs are more often than not given to the same small group of people - it really is about who you know and not what you know. If you are in research, you are essentially working in a call center making dozens and dozens of phone calls each day. If you are in a support/admin role then you are treated even worse than that. The sales team are treated so much better so join that team if you have to join at all - sales is clearly the favorite of the management team (despite the constantly reiterated message that everyone is as important as each other). If you can join the NY sales team, then even better as that seems to be where the "great banter" is (as referenced in a previous review) - clearly a hugely important factor for that person.

Those in a position of responsibility are often untrained and/or incompetent and so cannot do their jobs effectively. I have also never known an HR department like this one - they tend to take a hard line on many issues and as a result come across as bullish, uncompromising and unsympathetic. There is also a real culture of blame, which is cultivated by the HR department in conjunction with the management team - if you make a mistake of any size, be prepared to pay for it.

The remuneration is decidedly lower than the industry standard and ultimately you will not gain the experience required for a job in finance down the line. If you want a job in finance, stay away. Staff turnover is massive - there are so many people actively looking to leave it's incredible.

Because of these problems, the atmosphere in general is fairly toxic and unpleasant. It also seems to breed incredible rudeness - indeed, some of the rudest and most aggressive people I have ever encountered have been at Preqin. There really is no need for it in the modern workplace. In any other company you could take an issue to HR but not here.

Ultimately, one of the worst places I have ever worked.

Do not be misled, this is not a finance based job. Wait for another job offer/do not apply

ProsNice colleagues, mainly graduates
    Good hours

ConsThis is not a job for an ambitious Graduate.
    You do not need a degree to do this job.
    The work is not stimulating, the work is not dissimilar to a job in a call centre. If you're not phoning people, you're entering data.
    You phone people all day, and most of your time is spent reaching voice mail or someone who doesn't want to disclose. No job variety, the job is the same every day of the month
    Pay is low for London
    Turnover is massive, many want to leave before a year and many friends are looking to leave.
    You are never busy and this leads to severe boredom. You also do not have any responsibility
    Leaving is difficult as the skillset you develop does not meet the requirements, especially jobs in finance.

Any ambitious Graduate looking to work in finance, should avoid applying. The skillset you develop makes it difficult to get a real job in finance.

After investing three years into university, it is a bad place to start your career.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop creating meaningless job titles, make the company efficient instead
    Tell prospective employees exactly what the job is, that way you keep turnover low as those who don't want the job won't take it.

Actively looking to leave, little career development

ProsYoung sociable workforce
    Easy working hours

ConsThe company/work is essentially a call centre/data entry centre

-You spend your whole day, every day, phoning investment professionals and trying to acquire information.
    -You will tend to reach voicemails more often than not
    -A lot of the times, the person is not available and a receptionist will forward you to voicemail
    -A lot of people who you need to speak to don't speak english
    -Many contacts on the phone will tell you they are not interested and will not disclose. However the company will encourage you to continue phoning them in case they decide to talk.
    -with each phone call you make, you are expected to note all details, such as reaching voice mail/receptionist/pa
    -if you are successful, you enter all the data into a system of text boxes. The only technical aspect is calculating basic percentages
    -If after multiple tries (in the teens) you are expected to Google specific investment information online, which is often not available, hence the whole search feels pointless.
    -this whole process leads to a culture of, do the minimum, because the work is demotivating.

The research and analysis is bland. You often follow a piece of previous research as a template and copy and paste where appropriate . This leads to research that is repetitive and boring to produce.

You do not learn about alternative assets in the way you think you will. You do not do any financial analysis. You are trained only to gather information through the phone.

Pay is low.

Hr isn't the best, it needs to be expanded.

Huge turnover, lots of people also actively looking to leave.

Started ok, ended up being soul destroying

Content (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsHours are good.
    Can make contacts in the alternatives industry, if that is your aim.
    Office location is good.

ConsIncompetent management - people are promoted based on longevity rather than experience.
    No training.
    No career development
    Unsupportive environment, terrible blame culture
    Data is not double sources
    Massive turnover.
    Hostile office environment

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain people on the sector they are covering!
    Improve data collection - 'googling' isn't always accurate!
    Be more open to ideas from across the company
    Improve HR...unhelpful, ineffective, not impartial.

Worked for Preqin? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Preqin reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Preqin CEO Mark O'Hare. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Preqin employees.