Preqin Reviews

Awesome Job and Experience

Current Employee - Business Development  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Development in New York, NY

I have been working at Preqin full-time for more than a year

Pros

I'm in the NYC office (in a sales capacity) so can't speak for London or Singapore, but seems like things might not be too great on the London Research side considering all of the Glassdoor reviews that are negative seem to come from them...(how can you say it is good working hours and thengive 1 star for work-life balance?!?!) Anyway, on our side of the pond everyone is young, hungry and moves fast. Our company is always looking to hire, and people come from a diverse variety of both academic, geographic, and professional backgrounds. Office has no turnover besides 1 or 2 rare cases, and is growing rapidly. Hiring more senior positions and outside people allowing our culture to strengthen and move past our growth stage. Lots of support from senior management, team leaders, great compensation, no strenuous work hours, flexible time, easy to meet projects/goals and deadlines.

Cons

A lot of the key functions on research, finance and HR are in London, so sometimes getting pertinent research and data to clients can be lagged based on the time differences. Could imagine research's job could be tedious/monotonous, but you have the opportunity to be published and cited in a wide variety of financial press, which always good to mention on a resume.

Keep hiring across all facets of the company, we are truly the best so let's do everything to not lose customers because someone has a better interface or functionality!

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Preqin full-time

Pros

The best part about working here is that everyone is young, easy to get along with, and they don't micromanage. I would say you have to generally like learning about and discussing the alternatives industry to enjoy your work, but not to enjoy working here. I happen to like both and find it very rewarding. The culture is great; we have 2 official annual company socials, occasional socials on fridays, and a flexible work schedule including an optional half day on fridays during the summer.

Cons

There isn't much organized training. I started by sitting in on meeting, but a lot of preparation needs to be done on your own if you want to speed up the learning curve. Since the company is based in London, most of the important IT and Research people are located abroad which can be frustrating if you need to contact someone during US hours.

Implement a comprehensive training program, and move some support roles for IT and research to the US.

Great company to work for, excellent compensation and culture

Current Employee - Sales Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Preqin full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Base and commission are generous
    - Speak to top people in industry on regular basis
    - Best product in the market makes Preqin an easy sell
    - Culture of NYC office is great
    - Paid for me and others to do CAIA
    - Work life balance is good: no long hours, good vacation allowance, summer Fridays scheme

Cons

- They hold onto poor performers for too long
    - The IT guys are all in London so no support in afternoon, no real HR support in NYC
    - Company can be disorganized, not good at explaining new product features

Get finance, IT and HR functions in NYC
    Cut the dead weight!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Culture! Great Company!

Current Employee - Sales Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Preqin full-time for more than a year

Pros

I work on the sales side here at Preqin and thoroughly enjoy my job. I am passionate for finance especially the PE/ hedge fund space specifically and am building a solid foundation for a career in the alternative assets space. I have learned a lot and get paid well doing something I enjoy. The comp structure is generous with a solid base salary plus commission.

Cons

I do not have many complaints. I tend to learn best on the job so the lack of formal training was not a problem for me. The only thing I can think of is better communication between the NY and London office.

Stick with what we do well; up-to-date profiles and more information on smaller firms. Do not spread ourselves too thin by launching too many new products.

What's not to love?

I have been working at Preqin full-time for more than a year

Pros

I graduated with a Finance degree in 2012 and immediately began working at Preqin's New York City office. It is now May 2014 and I am still here and still happy with my job! Everyone here is hardworking, yet easygoing. My colleagues were easy to get along with. The summer and Christmas socials definitely helped, and were a lot of fun.

Management is also a strength at Preqin. You will never be scolded or anything like that. The upper management is very encouraging and also understanding.

Cons

There are no Cons that immediately come to mind. I really have no complaints of my first job out of college. I know people that have been through 3-4 jobs in the past two years, and I'm still here...

Keep doing what you're doing! This company is growing at an impressive rate.

It’s a diverse and collaborative environment where everyone can succeed.

I have been working at Preqin full-time for more than a year

Pros

Don’t let the other reviews (mainly for the London office) fool you. The NYC office environment is amazing (great banter amongst colleagues).You’ll receive training on your specialized asset class with great managing analysts who provide detailed feedback. Lots of room for growth into senior positions and various other positions in the company.
    -Entry level: Great place to start your career in the finance world and obtaining knowledge on alternative assets (PE, HF, RE, INFRA)
    -The role can be repetitive at times but you will be exposed to a variety of projects such as blogs, writing monthly newsletters, speaking with a diverse range of people in the alt. asset industry
    - Great Upper Management- always respectful and willing to talk

Cons

Snack selection needs improvement (needs more variety)
    -Pay scale is on the low side of the industry average
    -Yes, you may get lots of voicemails and have to log calls on the system but that’s part of the job.

Good atmosphere

Former Employee - Research Analyst  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in London, England (UK)

I worked at Preqin full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good atmosphere, lots of young graduates

Cons

Work is repetitive, hard to gather information

More analytical work

A toxic work environment

I have been working at Preqin full-time for more than a year

Pros

The working hours are good and there is a small core of decent hard working individuals who have been there for a while and who seem to care about the company and what they do.

Cons

There is absolutely zero scope for career progression. I agree with a previous reviewer - the pick of the jobs are more often than not given to the same small group of people - it really is about who you know and not what you know. If you are in research, you are essentially working in a call center making dozens and dozens of phone calls each day. If you are in a support/admin role then you are treated even worse than that. The sales team are treated so much better so join that team if you have to join at all - sales is clearly the favorite of the management team (despite the constantly reiterated message that everyone is as important as each other). If you can join the NY sales team, then even better as that seems to be where the "great banter" is (as referenced in a previous review) - clearly a hugely important factor for that person.

Those in a position of responsibility are often untrained and/or incompetent and so cannot do their jobs effectively. I have also never known an HR department like this one - they tend to take a hard line on many issues and as a result come across as bullish, uncompromising and unsympathetic. There is also a real culture of blame, which is cultivated by the HR department in conjunction with the management team - if you make a mistake of any size, be prepared to pay for it.

The remuneration is decidedly lower than the industry standard and ultimately you will not gain the experience required for a job in finance down the line. If you want a job in finance, stay away. Staff turnover is massive - there are so many people actively looking to leave it's incredible.

Because of these problems, the atmosphere in general is fairly toxic and unpleasant. It also seems to breed incredible rudeness - indeed, some of the rudest and most aggressive people I have ever encountered have been at Preqin. There really is no need for it in the modern workplace. In any other company you could take an issue to HR but not here.

Ultimately, one of the worst places I have ever worked.

Do not be misled, this is not a finance based job. Wait for another job offer/do not apply

I have been working at Preqin full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice colleagues, mainly graduates
    Good hours

Cons

This is not a job for an ambitious Graduate.
    You do not need a degree to do this job.
    The work is not stimulating, the work is not dissimilar to a job in a call centre. If you're not phoning people, you're entering data.
    You phone people all day, and most of your time is spent reaching voice mail or someone who doesn't want to disclose. No job variety, the job is the same every day of the month
    Pay is low for London
    Turnover is massive, many want to leave before a year and many friends are looking to leave.
    You are never busy and this leads to severe boredom. You also do not have any responsibility
    Leaving is difficult as the skillset you develop does not meet the requirements, especially jobs in finance.

Any ambitious Graduate looking to work in finance, should avoid applying. The skillset you develop makes it difficult to get a real job in finance.

After investing three years into university, it is a bad place to start your career.

Stop creating meaningless job titles, make the company efficient instead
    Tell prospective employees exactly what the job is, that way you keep turnover low as those who don't want the job won't take it.

Actively looking to leave, little career development

I have been working at Preqin full-time for more than a year

Pros

Young sociable workforce
    Easy working hours

Cons

The company/work is essentially a call centre/data entry centre

-You spend your whole day, every day, phoning investment professionals and trying to acquire information.
    -You will tend to reach voicemails more often than not
    -A lot of the times, the person is not available and a receptionist will forward you to voicemail
    -A lot of people who you need to speak to don't speak english
    -Many contacts on the phone will tell you they are not interested and will not disclose. However the company will encourage you to continue phoning them in case they decide to talk.
    -with each phone call you make, you are expected to note all details, such as reaching voice mail/receptionist/pa
    -if you are successful, you enter all the data into a system of text boxes. The only technical aspect is calculating basic percentages
    -If after multiple tries (in the teens) you are expected to Google specific investment information online, which is often not available, hence the whole search feels pointless.
    -this whole process leads to a culture of, do the minimum, because the work is demotivating.

The research and analysis is bland. You often follow a piece of previous research as a template and copy and paste where appropriate . This leads to research that is repetitive and boring to produce.

You do not learn about alternative assets in the way you think you will. You do not do any financial analysis. You are trained only to gather information through the phone.

Pay is low.

Hr isn't the best, it needs to be expanded.

Huge turnover, lots of people also actively looking to leave.

Worked for Preqin? Contribute to the Community!