Presbyterian Homes and Services

CEO

1. Good people, good values, undercompensated

Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Presbyterian Homes and Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people. Ethical treatment and billing. Low productivity requirements for therapists leading to higher quality care.

Cons

Lower than average pay. Benefits are average. Frequent low census.

Advice to Management

Management should try to be more competitive with their compensation of employees to avoid good therapists leaving for higher paying jobs.

2. Home Health Aide

Former Employee - Home Health Aide in Roseville, MN
    Former Employee - Home Health Aide in Roseville, MN

I worked at Presbyterian Homes and Services part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The jobs itself was very satisfying.

Cons

The culture of the company was very christian focused, and this was mixed in with most of our meetings and other company gatherings, which felt unprofessional to me. To others this might be ideal but to me it felt unprofessional. Also, there was a little less patient variety and diversity than other home health agencies I have worked with, since many of the patients live in Presbyterian Homes locations, which are more expensive to live at.

3. Great work place

I worked at Presbyterian Homes and Services full-time

Pros

Employees were compassionate and enjoyed their jobs, taking everything to the next level. Great place to work and to make a difference!

Cons

Living quarters are very close, making and sort of flu outbreak rampant and destructive of anyone that gets in its path

Advice to Management

Nurses and aids appeared to be always short staffed, making it more difficult for residents to be up and ready for all of their therapy sessions.

5. Mediocre

Current Employee - CNA
    Current Employee - CNA

I have been working at Presbyterian Homes and Services part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid for continuing education and training Most of the other CNAs and nurses are great Flexible schedule for part-timers

Cons

Management does not communicate well with the people delivering the healthcare Perpetually understaffed Work for full-timers is unmanageable, very strict hour requirements each week

Advice to Management

Put the needs of your employees higher up on your list of priorities, you need happy, healthy CNAs and nurses who are not overworked to provide good care for the residents

Great culture!

I have been working at Presbyterian Homes and Services full-time

Pros

Great Christian Culture, truly cares about employees and their well-being, growth commitment

Cons

0 I can think of.

7. Wonderful employees and amazing residents.

Current Employee - Culinary Assistant in Waukesha, WI
    Current Employee - Culinary Assistant in Waukesha, WI

I have been working at Presbyterian Homes and Services part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees are great and the residents are fantastic to work with.

Cons

nothing. I've never had an issue

8. An amazing opportunity to serve the elderly.

Current Employee - Server in Chanhassen, MN
    Current Employee - Server in Chanhassen, MN

I have been working at Presbyterian Homes and Services part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work-environment is laid-back for the most part. The training consists of a few online workshops (to become a server), followed by a few shifts of working under a fellow server. The work-life balance is great because there is no working from home required and the job is enjoyable for the most part.

Cons

Occasionally have to deal with frustrated residents or clean up bodily messes in the dining room.

Large amount of turnover, lower pay and benefits than industry standards, overworked

Current Employee - Nurse
    Current Employee - Nurse

I have been working at Presbyterian Homes and Services (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to be a new graduate nurse. There a lot of skills that can be gained from working here.

Cons

Low pay, ever decreasing benefits and vacation time, no sick time. Staff is overworked, there is just too much to do to get it all done by the end of the shift. Management has unrealistic expectations of employees. When you try to bring anything up to them, they will just tell you what you want to hear and do nothing about it.

Advice to Management

It seems that all that management cares about is money, they are expansion driven not resident care driven. It is definitely a corporate culture. Residents may have nice places to live, but the staff is not taken care of. Wake up and realize that the employees are flocking out of Pres. Homes because they can do better elsewhere. Increase pay, benefits, and sick time and you will have more employees and better employees. I know that the money is there, it is just going to huge buildings. Now you have buildings, but you have no staff and everyone suffers. I'm guessing the upper management is doing well though...

Love my career here

Current Employee - Human Resources
    Current Employee - Human Resources

I have been working at Presbyterian Homes and Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for PHS for almost 5 years. At the end of 2014 I was approached by another organization with an excellent opportunity to grow in my career in a different way and so I took it. I was there only a few months when I realized how special it was to work at Presbyterian Homes and Services and how much I missed it. My co-workers were truly like family to me. The Christian ministry, the ability to make a true impact on so many lives and the commitment to improvement are all things that I didn't realize I would miss so much. When I was approached to return to PHS I jumped at the chance. Not only does this organization constantly strive to be better, but it also truly wants to see it's employees grow and provides opporunities to do so. I have witnsesed first hand many times over PHS' commitment to promoting from within. I cannot recommend PHS enough.

Cons

No organization is perfect, and PHS has it's share of growth opportunities. Being in the non-profit healthcare sector is especially challenging financially to PHS. If your goal is to make as much money as possible and have the highest salary in your field, then a non-profit organization such as this is not for you. PHS also has grown rapidly and is quite large and spread out, which causes challenges in application of policies and standard procedures. Recruiting and onboarding are particular challenges due to the largely decentralized processes. All of these things are top priorities for the organization and I have faith that they will continue to work to improve and get better.

Advice to Management

Continue to see to be a leader in this sector. Do not forget that employers are our most important asset and continue to find ways to honor them and help them to grow and improve at all levels.

Presbyterian Homes and Services Response

Dec 18, 2014 – Clinical Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback!

11. Walk the walk

Current Employee - Floor Staff in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Floor Staff in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Presbyterian Homes and Services

Pros

Residents are a pleasure to work for. many staff are helpful.

Cons

Too many managers. Micromanagement. Actual workplace operation Inconsistent with policies. No positive feedback for employees, just negative.

Advice to Management

Come to your facilities and talk to the floor staff. Encourage the managers to put a smile on the employees faces as well. That way you would retain valuable staff rather than having to hire and train more.

RSS Feed </> Embed